Loss of Signal Interupting Recording

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by kopdan, Mar 7, 2005.

1. kopdan

kopdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi its my first post tonight.

I recently had Sky out to look at my Sky + as we were having problems with the digi box and the recordings we were making.

Very often the wife would scream out " ITS DONE IT AGAIN!!!!" to which I would be forced to watch a recording of a show freeze during fast forward. Basically most things recorded would freeze at a random time during watching. You then were forced back to the start of the recording where you were able to fast forward and sometimes get past the moment from the previous freeze.

It also started doing it on live pause. After 15 minutes of staring at Martin Platt frozen on pause, we pressed play only to see the little play icon and the clock type icon stuck.

So anyway Sky came out and upgraded the software using the button at the back but alas tonight another recording freezes after 25 minutes with the error "Recording interupted due to loss of signal"

Is this a common problem? Could my dish be at fault or is the signal likely to fall during recordings? Its odd as a few times now, we have managed to get past certain freezes and actually watch the whole show.

Anyway I hope this has been of interest. Thanks

2. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Kopdan

Welcome to the Forum. Have you tried a search for these problems as there is already a great deal of info waiting to be found. But I will add my bit anyway:)

I think you are talking about two different problems. The freezing during playback I have not experienced (just cursed myself) and if you are still getting this problem I would get Sky out again if its still within warranty. If this has not been cured by software it MAY be the HDD beginning to fail but I cant be sure. Search may be helpful here.

The other problem of 'Recording interupted due to loss of signal' is just that. Occasionally, for whatever reason, the signal is lost during a recording the recording stops dead, it has not frozen during playback, there is simply no more of the recording to view. Have you checked you signal levels, it is usually the secondary feed that fails, as this is the one used for recording most of the time. Unfortunately losing the second signal can also be caused by a dodgy HDD.

Could try upgrading the HDD anyway to get a bigger capacity and see if it solves the problem.

HTH

Wackojacko32

3. kopdan

kopdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers mate. I shall do a searchg for help on the playback probs.

cheers :thumbsup: