Question Loss of signal at start of viewing.

silverline

Novice Member
Reaction score
Shortly after starting to view a TV program, live or recorded, I lose the signal for several 1/2 secs over a 5min interval then it plays no problem. I have a Humax FoxSat freesat box, Onkyo Amp and TV.
Any help appreciated.

Is the Humax box connected directly to the Tv or via your Onkyo amp?
If the latter try plugging it straight into the Tv bypassing the amp.

Possibly a fault in your amp or a dodgy HDMI lead between amp and Tv or between Humax box and amp.
I know you stated you tried different HDMI leads but you didn't state which ones.

The lead is QED Performance V1.3 full HD 1080P. Incidentally there is no problem when using the lead between DVD or Laptop and Amp. But I do not know how long these last or how else to test them. Amp is 606 and about 5 years old.

You test them by trying a different one.
HDMI leads can radiate RF interference and block Freeview channels etc. The Brand/Price had no bearing on this whatsoever.

Ok but I only have these 2 leads so will get another one.
The loss only occurs when viewing live TV or a recorded TV program never when viewing DVD or laptop downloads and starts 20 mins into play and is on /off for about 2mins and then is fine for the rest of the evening. No channels are lost.

I had an onkyo 606, they had a well known problem with the hdmi board. It could be that, I ended up replacing it in the end. You have been very lucky for it to last this long. I read somewhere there is a fix if you can solder etc but I'm not that technical so just treated myself to a shiny new amp :)

I seem to recall that I had a major problem fixed under warranty years ago. This is a minor annoyance at present but may develop so following Jaycee's response checked up and yes the capacitors on the HDMI board can be replaced, there is a youtube video, so may will try that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom