1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loss of power on Yamaha Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by swartzy, Mar 30, 2004.

Tags:
  1. swartzy

swartzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Hi Guys,

I bought an ex demo Yamaha DSP-AX2 amp and have noticed recently that I am having to turn the volume up considerably more on both tv videos and dvd sources.I am just wondering if this could be an internal amp problem..It is under warranty up until September so would please appreciate any advice...thanks

Regards
    swartzy;)

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Turn up more compared to what? It is normal that AV amps/receivers need to be turned up more when using an AV source compared to tuner or CD.
    As well you can't compare two amps by means of the volume knob position since their internals (and by that the e.g. gain) are different.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    There is nothing wrong with your Yamaha. As Reiner has touched upon, the output levels from different sources can vary. DVD has always had a tendency to be fairly quiet compared to CD and off air broadcasts tend to fairly quiet too so it is inevitable that you have to turn the volume up a bit more for these sources.

4. swartzy

swartzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Thanks for your replies and sorry if I did not explain correctly but let me go into this in more detail

I bought this amp approx 18 months ago and I was used to setting the levels differently between sources i.e. dvd...video ...tv etc...

however within the last week I have had to push up the volume on dvd source only to between -30d and -25db whereas normally -40db was loud enough it seems I have to go to the higher level volume to get the -40db effect

Likewise tv and video where normally around -50db but now I have to crank this up to -35db and -30 db to get the -50db effect.

Thus I am having to crank up my amp considerably in all areas whereas before the volume level was much lower in decibels but just as powerful......I am totally confused why this is happening but I have owned 2 other Yamaha amps in the past and did not have any problems like this,in fact no problems at all since I think Yamaha amps are very reliable but this one is confusing?..

any thoughts on this guys?

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not that I think you are stupid, but is it possible that you accidentely activated the mute function?
    AFAIK on Yamaha amp's it doesn't entirely mute the volume but reduces it by around 20dB.

As well you may want to check the impedance switch on the back (flip only when unit is powered off!). Not sure if that makes a difference though.

6. swartzy

swartzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Thanks for the reply...willing to check anything here as I would like to find a solution...Double checked both areas that you mentioned and unfortunately still no change....?

thanks anyway
    swartzy

7. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I recently had a similar problem. After checking everything I could I began to think it was my mind playing games. After checking the manual, I had forgotten that my Sony could be re-set. I did this and after setting up again, the volume went back to normal.

8. swartzy

swartzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    This worked and my amp is back to normal again many thanks....

to all the other helpful people that answered this thread many thanks too....

maybe this may help someone else who has a similar problem...

much appreciated
    swartzy:smashin: