Question Loss of Freeview when Switching Off Sky+ Box

aadanvers

Novice Member
Reaction score
Last week I started losing Freeview (uk) channels (viewing through antenna) at first I thought it was transmitter issues. Following day no change, so tried a retune, and half the freeview channels had gone including most abc and all hd channels. Spent the day retrying this and no change, then used 'signal test' in tv settings and found that it couldn't pick up half the channels and that all signals available were weak both signal and quality... Now I I'm stumped. Then went online to check issues/engineering works on local transmitters and nothing came up. Tweeted freeview and again, no issues/engineering works for my local transmitters. I kind of didn't believe them as i had issues obviously. Evenings was fine so I couldn't understand what was happening. Then I switched off the sky box just before bed and was watching freeview through the antenna as I do and as soon as switched off switch at socket, the freeview (through antenna) disappeared again. I just thought it odd and a coincidence. Next morning no change (sky box still off at this point) then in the evening, put sky box on, and all is fine again. I repeat night time action of turning off sky box at switch and having freeview on through antenna, to my surprise lost channels again, now i know that switching off sky box affects the freeview (antenna) signal. Yet i cant understand why?

Today. I reset tv LG 65UH950 to initial settings and attempted to set up tv without the sky box being on, or any cables (hdmi) in, and found that signal test was weak again, didn't pick up half the channels so that was a waste of time. Plugged sky box in switched on and what do you know the freeview (via antenna) channels all returned.

Im at a loss now as everything was fine a week back, not done anything different. Also found that the sky box can go into standby mode and the freeview is fine, but at night it goes into sleep mode (standby light from white to red) and when it does the freeview channels again are lost. So why is the sky box doing this. The tv isn't reliant on getting sky, and the sky box shouldn't affect freeview antenna viewing!!! Then what happens if i decide to leave sky, then freeview can't pick up strong signals it should normally get with or without sky. I just think this is the weirdest thing I've ever come across, so if anyone can shed any light...

Passing the Freeview signal through the Sky box requires a small internal rf loop amplifier to be powered. Simply fit a aerial splitter before the rf in on the sky box and use the spare output to give the local TV a seperate feed. You only need the rf connection to the Sky-box to allow remote viewing using the internal modulator and magic eye remote controls. If you aren't using this system then simply unplug the aerial from the Sky RF in and connect it directly to the TV.

The antenna aerial goes from the aerial socket in the wall direct into the Tv and not into the sky box. The only cable from sky box to tv is the hdmi.

The antenna aerial goes from the aerial socket in the wall direct into the Tv and not into the sky box. The only cable from sky box to tv is the hdmi.

Does that mean the only connections to the Sky-box are the two lnb cables (which run directly to the lnb) and HDMI ?. ie One of the LNB cables doesn't have terrestrial diplexed onto it. And the aerial connection isn't via a loft box (directly from the aerial with no amplifier in circuit). If a loftbox is fitted where does it get power from ? A picture of any wall outlet involved would help.

It seems likely the Sky box is providing power for a loft box from it's rf2 output.

When you say you are switching the Sky Box off, do you mean via the remote or at the mains, if at the mains why? As there is no need as power draw is minimal in standby.

If turning off with the remote, try plugging the Sky Box into a different HDMI Socket to see if this solves the problem.

Hope this helps

Bill

Does that mean the only connections to the Sky-box are the two lnb cables (which run directly to the lnb) and HDMI ?. ie One of the LNB cables doesn't have terrestrial diplexed onto it. And the aerial connection isn't via a loft box (directly from the aerial with no amplifier in circuit). If a loftbox is fitted where does it get power from ? A picture of any wall outlet involved would help.

It seems likely the Sky box is providing power for a loft box from it's rf2 output.

Yes. the 2 satellite cables and hdmi. Theres no loft box as live in a block of flats. Attached pick is of the aerial/satellite box.

Attachments

• IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
Yes. the 2 satellite cables and hdmi. Theres no loft box as live in a block of flats. Attached pick is of the aerial/satellite box.

The aerial cable will be diplexed with the sat 1 cable and split out in the outlet box. With the sky-box off can you watch TV if you disconnect the two sat cables ? If not there must be some kit that uses the Sky box 12/18V lnb power. You would need to ask whoever looks after the communal system.

This morning I completely disconnected the sky box, leaving the sky box in standby and removing hdmi first all channels ok, then unscrewed one of the sky box cables and the channels disappear like they do when switching off sky box at socket. Then continued to remove them all as though I don't have any sky box, retuned tv and again loss of half channels. So it seams while there's is some power to the sky box even though it's not connected to the tv it boosts the antenna aerial signal to the tv. It's doing my head in and Perhaps if and when I give up sky subscription I may have to contact the aerial people and or try adding an aerial booster. Thanks for your assistance.

This morning I completely disconnected the sky box, leaving the sky box in standby and removing hdmi first all channels ok, then unscrewed one of the sky box cables and the channels disappear like they do when switching off sky box at socket. Then continued to remove them all as though I don't have any sky box, retuned tv and again loss of half channels. So it seams while there's is some power to the sky box even though it's not connected to the tv it boosts the antenna aerial signal to the tv. It's doing my head in and Perhaps if and when I give up sky subscription I may have to contact the aerial people and or try adding an aerial booster. Thanks for your assistance.

On a sky-box the lnb cables are powered at all times except when the Sky-box is in it's lowest power sby or is powered off at the mains. The DC voltage a Sky box outputs to power a connected lnb is either 12V or 18V depending on the polarisation of the channel the tuner is using. Seems that this power is being used to power some sort of aerial amplification.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom