Loss of Eurobird 1 channels in rain

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by delanoster, Aug 21, 2006.

1. delanoster

delanoster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Hi all,

During the recent bad weather I've noticed that I've being losing certain channels on my Sky+ box.

Looking at Lyngsat.com the channels I lose are all on Eurobird 1 at 28.5°E (I was watching Discovery Real Time Extra when I noticed the problem first). The minidish has an unobstructed view south but the signal quality on a cloudy day (not raining) for Input 1 is about 33% and above 50% for Input 2.

As I have had Sky for over a year I rang a few installers in my area (one had never heard of Eurobird 1 and was adamant that all the Sky packaged channels were at 28.2°E) and the cheapest quote for realignment was over £40. What do I need (apart from time and a ladder) to slightly tweak my minidish to stop the dropouts?

2. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    I was under the impression that Sky et al only rented space from Astra so other sats came a bit of a surprise to me as well.

However losing signal in the rain does usually mean that your dish is not optimally aligned. There used to be a DIY trick that consisted of using a wet towel over the dish when aligning so as to simulate rain. You also need a meter. Or you could use a portable TV. Don't go for best signal, find out the point in each direction that the signal falls off and then centre between those points. Or you could get a professional to do it properly.

3. Cupart

Cupart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    It's most likely the LNB that's the problem.

If you switch the two cables from the LNB on receiver, does the quality also switch? There's no sense in that a single dual output LNB should give different readings of quality on the same dish, so I doubt it that it is a allignment problem you have...

Could you maybe try with a different LND all together and see if this should make any difference?

Beerhunter: There are quite a few channels on the sky platform using Eurobird 1 on the same location.

4. delanoster

delanoster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Cupart, I did some rough testing with Sky+. When I record BBC Two and watch News 24 (both on the same transponder) the two input levels for the LNBs are the same.

However when I watch Discovery Real Time Extra while recording BBC Two then the input levels differ.

If I record Real Time Extra and watch any other Eurobird 1 transmission then both inputs are low but input 2 is lower.

I think there is an alignment problem and possibly an LNB problem as input 2 is lower.

I can't swap LNB as I don't have another one to use.

How easy is it to use a meter to get a stronger signal? I notice they are quite cheap on fleabay...

5. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    If you can wait a week, Lidl will have meters for about four quid next Monday. They won't distinquish which sat you are looking at but I reckon that you have enough signal already not to go pointing at the wrong one.

6. delanoster

delanoster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Obviously Lidl will have satellite strength meters! Just looked on their website and nearest store is about 13 miles away, shame. Thanks for the pointer though.

7. RostokMcSpoons

RostokMcSpoons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I just bought one of these signal strength meters, but haven't had any luck getting a reading from it - I haven't connected one of the Receiver side cables (because I don't have any more tape to waterproof it again) - is that the reason? Or is it just cos I've not done the connection to the LNB very well (again, I'd have to strip the tape from my 3 existing connections to get unfettered access to the LNB's connectors)...?

And.. any idea what the dB switch is for?

Having said all that, today my signal strength and quality is up to 80%ish, whereas yesterday it was down in 30-40's, so ITV and Sky Sports were freezing or pixellating occasionally. I don't suppose my alignment is too bad, so it's more likely a problem with my round-dish quad LNB not being too efficient with my Sky oval dish.

8. Cupart

Cupart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    The meter need power from the receiver before it can give you any readings...

The dB switch is probably a booster. Switch it on (when connected to the reciever) and see if the meter shows any difference?