Loss of chanel on freesat

grayus

Standard Member
It seems a lot of members seem to have lost freesat channel mine only seemed to have problems with ITV HD when they changed the channel number from 103 to 111 as the HD pixilated so its unwatchable before the change it was fine ,does anyone know if I bought a a indoor amplifier whether it would improve the signal strength enough to watch itv HD ,I don't want to buy one if it doesn't make any difference ,would appreciate if any one knows what type to buy thanks

Vin Blanc

Would that be Chanel No.5 I wonder?

Vin Blanc

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
No a booster is most unlikely to help (and satellite booster devices are not all that easy to find in any case).
Dish/LNB (re)alignment or LNB cable/connection fettling might possibly help.

NB ITV HD was on 111 and moved to 103 late last year in lots of regions.
ITV SD was on 103 and have moved to 111.
So you can use 111 to watch what used to be on 103?

Which specific ITV HD region do you watch, though? That may give a clue as to a specific reception problem. {Also what receiver - TV/PVR brand and model is being used.}

Way, way back ITV HD changed the FEC on its services to something Panasonic TV and PVRs didn't like... and the effect was picture breakup.
But the BBC also use the same on all their HD channels, so they'd be affected too if it was the problem?

grayus

Standard Member
channels, so they'd be affected too if it was the problem?
The TV is a 2 year old smart oled LG with built in freesat and free view the only station that is the problem Is ITV 103 HD set to west midland ,I was surprised for you to say sat booster are hard to find as Amazon is full of them .but which one to buy is another story.thanks for your input.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Sat boosters are designed for extra-long cable runs and need to be placed mid-run/closer to the LNB ... See LNB amplifiers or boosters

Very few UK domestic installs have such lengthy, lossy, cable runs. Some locations can benefit from a larger dish to gather a greater signal from the satellite (Zone 2 60 cm dish cf Zone 1 45 cm).

Dodgy cable connections, poor dish alignment, failing LNB, are the most likely issue, though?

ITV HD (Central West) moved to 12168V 8PSK 27500 2/3 (SID 5109) in September last year and is one where the FEC of 2/3 actually works on Panasonic TVs (the 'bad' FEC is 3/4 for those affected sets).

If using the thin (4.5 mm dia) twin shotgun WF65 $ky-type cables from the LNB consider upgrading to thicker (6.5 mm dia) all-copper WF100 (and equivalents) to minimise any losses?
Satcure says: I'd recommend a run of no more than 40 metres of WF100 or no more than 20 metres of WF65 (satellite dish to receiver). If you find that still causes problems in bad weather, the simplest and most effective solution is to install a zone 2 dish instead of a zone 1 or an 80cm dish instead of a zone 2.

grayus

Standard Member
Many thanks for your detailed help ,with living in bungalow the cable drop is only about 6 metres and the pixilated picture is only on channel 103 all the other channel are fine ,I have contacted ITV freesat and LG and it was like going on an a merry go round one each one telling me to contact the other,as all the other HD channels are fine I will just use channel 111shame really having a £1400 oled tv with built in freesat and freeview with all the bells and whistles and having hd problems ,

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
What cable diameter is the feed to the LG TV?
What model TV is it?

Does the LG have a signal meter? Strength and quality (or bit error rate)? If so what does it report on Central ITV HD and BBC One HD?

It may be worth considering a (power pass) signal attenuator if there's an overload happening (not an amplifier)?

There was a long thread on some LG having problems and attenuators worked in some cases - that has possibly been solved by a firmware update by LG late last year? LG Freesat bbc hd signal issue

Check if your TV is up to date firmware wise?

thrills

Novice Member
I have similar issue with ITV HD (on Foxsat & signal meters say 100% signal!) Its not unwatchable but at times it can get annoying. At times it can be fine! Smithsonian HD is worse. NHK World HD and Bloomberg HD are a little bit glitchy too. A work around for ITV HD is to use UTV HD or STV HD if you can. They come in gltch free for me.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
I have similar issue with ITV HD (on Foxsat & signal meters say 100% signal!) Its not unwatchable but at times it can get annoying. At times it can be fine! Smithsonian HD is worse. NHK World HD and Bloomberg HD are a little bit glitchy too. A work around for ITV HD is to use UTV HD or STV HD if you can. They come in gltch free for me.
Please start your own thread on your problem.
It just causes confusion otherwise.

Alternative ITV HDs aren't available on freesat devices. The foxsat can do clever things with the custom firmware.

grayus

Standard Member
Don't know what size the cable is the model number is oled55c8pla LG unfortunately this model , doesn't have a signal strength meter the firmware is up to date,I dont think a attenuator would do the trick otherwise I am sure if the signal was to strong it would effect more than just one channel, it looks like Thrills is having the same problems,so strange its just on itv HD ,many thanks for your input.

Forgot to mention it only started when they changed the HD channel from 111 to 103 up until. Then every thing was fine

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
It seems a lot of members seem to have lost freesat channel mine only seemed to have problems with ITV HD when they changed the channel number from 103 to 111 as the HD pixilated so its unwatchable before the change it was fine ,does anyone know if I bought a a indoor amplifier whether it would improve the signal strength enough to watch itv HD ,I don't want to buy one if it doesn't make any difference ,would appreciate if any one knows what type to buy thanks

Some confusion here.. ITV-HD did not change the channel number to 103. They changed ITV-HD to 103 on both Freesat and Freeview (terrestrial boxes). The transponder/Mux delivering the channel has not changed only logical channel number assigned to the Service ID. If you have a problem it's not related to the change.

111 on Freesat boxes/TVs becomes your local SD ITV region set by your postcode.

Are you sure your TV is set to use the Freesat Tuner ?

grayus

Standard Member
Yeah to change between freesat and freeview is quite simple on the TV the 103 channel on freeview is fine but on the terrestrial aerial the amount of stations I get is poor in comparison what I get with freesat .its just irritating as we used to watch ITV HD a lot and with the TV being oled the picture was fantastic ,seemed a coincidence that the problem started when the 111 and 103 were reversed ,I hope thrills get the problem sorted ,its proved one thing to me one gets more help and advice from forums like this than itv LG and freesat put together ,

JonMace

can you borrow a free sat box to see if it has the same problem, that would identify if the problem is your TV or the the dish, LNB, cable setup?

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Yeah to change between freesat and freeview is quite simple on the TV the 103 channel on freeview is fine but on the terrestrial aerial the amount of stations I get is poor in comparison what I get with freesat .its just irritating as we used to watch ITV HD a lot and with the TV being oled the picture was fantastic ,seemed a coincidence that the problem started when the 111 and 103 were reversed ,I hope thrills get the problem sorted ,its proved one thing to me one gets more help and advice from forums like this than itv LG and freesat put together ,

For some reason your TV has failed to pick up the lcn changes, this should be automatic. Simply do a freesat retune on the TV.

You are using an English Postcode ?

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
A freesat tune will do no harm, but dish alignment and dodgy connections are still my suspicion for this odd ITV HD satellite breakup issue. That would need checking with a suitable meter as LG have seen fit to not provide the facility in some of their TVs. Maybe call in a professional?

A different ITV region - choosing, say, a London postcode (W1A 1AA) rather than West Midlands might prove the issue is with that particular ITV variant as received? {But as graham uses the same region we know it's not a 'as transmitted' fault ;) }

In the meantime, just switch to Freeview to watch the ITV HD version (with adverts)?

Cable size just needs a tape measure. Or a photo will allow us to guesstimate against the F-plug nut size.

Thinking an attenuator won't help is no better than thinking an amplifier might help. IF there's overload in the tuner it could easily only affect the strongest radiated and received transponder(s) frequencies. It's pretty rare but not impossible. A significantly longer cable from the LNB would attenuate the signal, too.

grayus

Standard Member
Thanks for all your help and advice I had done a lot of the recommendations before I posted apart from changing my post code to a London one which I suppose is worth a try when I get time thanks again great forum.

grayus

Standard Member
must admit did not think by changing the area code would make any difference,but thought I would give it a try ,bingo worked great looks like Rodders 53 was inspired with that advice ,only downside I get London local news instead of midland central ,but I can live with that .I just wondered if I get a Birmingham post code if it will work as it’s a central transmission why oh why didn’t freesat tell me to try that after contacting them ,had it on now for a few hours and brilliant picture .thanks Rodders I would not have thought of changing area code,

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom