loss of analogue channels on sony idtv set

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by honeygal, Mar 17, 2006.

1. honeygal

honeygal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a sony idtv and have been experiencing problems with reception, picture quality breaking up on all itv channels and channel 4 ones also. Would normally switch over to my analogue channels when this happens, however was advised to buy a booster for the aerial. Since I have been using the booster, the picture quality on digital channels is still scrambling/breaking up and now when i switch over to analogue i have no analogue channels whatsoever! Have tried everything to tune in both digital and analogue channels, but now appears that i can only have one or the other (with or without the booster). Any idea what has happened and why i can no longer get both? Grateful for any advice.

2. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I also get reception problems with a Sony idtv 32kvx something or other. Aerial is routed through a DVD recorder and I often (2 or 3 times a night) lose digital reception for 20 secs or so especially just after changing channel.

Other annoyances are the fact that the freeview channels are all really mixed up after the latest download i.e radio channels in the 6os, no channels in the 100s - unlike my seperate freeview box which is organised correctly as per the freeview lists I've seen elsewhere. And the biggest annoyance is when switching channels the info bar comes up at the top of the screen (channel, prog times etc) then disappears and then comes back and stays on permanently ! Sometimes it will stay stuck on the same channel info even when I've changed channels. Is this the idtv or the digital signal that's at fault? Sometimes have to watch analogue cos the info bar is so annoying.

Ray

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The problem with digital TV is that it is not very tolerant of interference from electrical appliances in the home (fridge, freezer, central heating, etc) or from ignition interference from passing traffic. Boosting the signal also boosts the interference, because boosters can't discriminate between the two. Also, because many boosters are mains-powered, interference from the mains can reach the booster via its own mains cable.

You will only get a complete cure by using a bigger aerial on the roof (away from sources of interference) and suitable cable to connect it. Cable used on older analogue installations is not screened well enough for digital.

4. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Actually I do have a new aerial and can see the Esholt (yorkshire) transmitter from my roof top and I use digital cable throughout. The problems I described have happened before and after using an amplifier and regardless of the fact that the tv says I have high signal strength. I blame the Sony software especially as it messes up my freeview list - unlike the freeview box I have.

Not sure there's much I can do :rolleyes:

Ray

5. the whistler

the whistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Sounds like you are in a strong signal area if you can see the transmitter. If you have added a booster and you already have a good signal, it is possible for the signal to be too strong.

I say this because i have just bought a high gain aerial and the instructions say that it is not recommended for good reception areas as an attenuator might be required.

Maybe htis is why you have lost analogue reception.

6. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I meant Emley Moor :oops: Don't know why I said Esholt - must have been watching Emmerdale :blush:

According to your link Emley is only 18 miles away with H polarity. Does this mean my aerial should be horizontal (which it is) ? Also it suggests an Amplified Extra High Gain antenna - again I have this (not sure about the Extra though). Seems a strange requirement when I am so close to a major transmitter.

Ray

7. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Sean,

As you have a Sony idtv what's your freeview list like ? Mines a right hotchpotch with radio channels in amongst the Tv channels - not like my other freeview box.

Ray

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    MIne is a first generation - and to be honest I will not let it auto tune as it WILL mess up.

FIne during the Ondigital era and the first years of Freeview but with so many part time channels and radio channels off somewhere I don't bother - don't need radio so detune them.

To be honest your best bet is a manual tune

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Mines running latest software - just that it only goes to 99 on the tuner

10. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks for this info - I'll give them a call. But isn't the software meant to download automatically over the airwaves ? I probably do have a first generation one by the way so will try retuning and waiting longer.

Ray

11. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Sean,

Your a mine of information. Thanks