Losing Weight And Gaining Muscle

Mattyb4694

Novice Member
Hi guys, so recently decided to start trying to get myself fit again after 5 years not being in the gym and eating bad.
I brought a rowing machine around 2 weeks ago, obviously I know change doesn't happen over night, but I want to double check I'm doing things right and not wasting my time doing things wrong.
I currently weigh 16.0 stone, 6ft2 and my rowing machine has settings of 1 through to 15, I started off on setting 7 for the first week 10 minutes intense (not slow) in the morning after breakfast/protein shake and in the late afternoon after dinner, now I've been getting use the the strength setting instead of upping my time per session I've started rowing on setting 9 for this week until I'm gradually able to do setting 15. My weigh days are Sunday however this week I've stayed the exact same weight, I started off when I started by having around 1500-2000 calories per day but I have been told I should be taking around 2200 healthy calories which I now do per day. I feel like I work a real sweat every session I'm eating good foods I'm using protein shakes to supplement meals sometimes, and I take creatine to help also, the few questions I have to ask if anyone could help me out would be much appreciated.

Is it better to turn the setting up and stay at the 10 mins per session or would it be better to stay at say setting 7 but do a few mins extra per session?

I already feel like my abs and muscle feel more tense, I don't know fully how it all works but is It possible the reason I've stayed the same weight is because I've lost fat but gained muscle?

I currently do 3 days on 1 day off because my abs really hurt sometimes not in a nice pain either like I'm generally pulling something. Is 3 days on 1 day off okay or do I need to be doing more?

Thanks for any help and advice my main goal is to lose weight but gain muscle to essentially I don't mind If I stay 16 stone but I want muscle not fat.
Thanks in advance.
Matt

tredman

Distinguished Member
Do you use MyFitnessPal to track your calories? Focus on net-calorie intake, rather than what you eat. I used it, together with daily exercise to drop a lot of weight over the last year. If I’m honest I think reducing calorie intake has more effect than exercise - on the rare occasions I did no exercise and just stuck to the calorie limit I still lost.
I’ve always taken the measurements with a pinch of salt too, give yourself an aim to stay 100 below your net calorie target and see if that makes a different too.

finbaar

Do you use MyFitnessPal to track your calories? Focus on net-calorie intake, rather than what you eat. I used it, together with daily exercise to drop a lot of weight over the last year. If I’m honest I think reducing calorie intake has more effect than exercise - on the rare occasions I did no exercise and just stuck to the calorie limit I still lost.
I’ve always taken the measurements with a pinch of salt too, give yourself an aim to stay 100 below your net calorie target and see if that makes a different too.
I totally agree with tredman, what you are eating will effect your weight loss not the exercise you are doing. 10 minutes on a rowing machine can have great benifits for your health and well being but will have hardly any effect on weight loss - I'm not recommending you change anything by that statement either!

Leo31291

Distinguished Member
On the weight loss journey myself as I got tubby over winter.

For your cardio, set the machine to something which you can do for a prolonged steady state, not too easy, not too hard. Aim for at least 30mins and work up a sweat. I would prefer running though as it's a more full body exercise and it'll burn more calories in less time.

Try and have protein in every meal. Your body will use that to keep and grow muscle as you lose the fat.

tredman

Distinguished Member
Second that on running, literally sold my rowing machine last week as I was getting much more benefit (and enjoyment) from running.

finbaar

On the weight loss journey myself as I got tubby over winter.

For your cardio, set the machine to something which you can do for a prolonged steady state, not too easy, not too hard. Aim for at least 30mins and work up a sweat. I would prefer running though as it's a more full body exercise and it'll burn more calories in less time.

Try and have protein in every meal. Your body will use that to keep and grow muscle as you lose the fat.
I am a runner, so obviously I think everyone should run as it is THE best exercise. But running does very little for the upper body compared to rowing. Still running/rowing/weights would be a great combination.

Russa

Based on @MikeDean avatar, he knows his onions so listen too him. That takes dedication.

Personally speaking, exercise is great for cardio and health. Weightlifting is great for building muscle. Diet is great for loosing fat.

You definitely won't build any noticeable muscle using a rowing machine and unlikely you'll lose any fat with one either.

Work out you TDEE subtract 500 and that is your calorie allowance to lose 1lb per week. Then concentrate on compound lifts.

IronGiant

I wouldn't necessarily assume that's him :D

Trusylver

Standard Member
I currently do 3 days on 1 day off because my abs really hurt sometimes not in a nice pain either like I'm generally pulling something. Is 3 days on 1 day off okay or do I need to be doing more?

If you are new to exercise starting slow is your best option, going hard with the same exercise 3 days in a row is a great way to put yourself at risk of injury, Over time intensity can then be increased when you have built up a base level of fitness.

As has been said by another member, rowing is not generally used as an exercise to build muscle, but it is a great exercise for building aerobic fitness or anaerobic fitness depending on intensity. You need to be strength training to maintain your lean mass while cutting calories to loose the fat, intense cardio with a calorie deficit will not just use fat for energy but also the lean muscle that you want to keep to maintain your metabolism.

It also looks to me that your diet will need attention as well, good food is one thing, portion control is another, without good tracking your diet may be detrimental to your goals, but there is not enough info to go on in your post to decide one way or the other.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom