Losing the will to live (audio/video ripping issue)

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by nictry, Feb 27, 2014.

1. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    Having recently invested in a Synology NAS which is fabulous for streaming stuff to the kids PS3s I am now slowly going mad with my challenges on 'certain' BluRays to get a fully working (Audio and Video) without commentaries or video break ups and even after reading about TsMuxer, HandBrake, Freemake etc. I just cannot seem to get a working copy of multiple movies that I really want to store on the NAS.

To summarise I have ripped the BR through WinXBluray Decripter (a fully purchased and legitimate version) and then in a large number of discs happily used HandBrake to then convert the .mt2s file to MP4 which plays happily off the NAS.

All of a sudden I have hit problems with the Die Hard series and Fast and Furious series (both of course the kids love and stupid Dad cant fix the problems.

Initially all I got was a voiced over commentary, there appears to be no specific audio stream that precents this playing when converting with HandBrake and when I used Freemake I got rid of the commentary but the video is now not showing (well actually one small scene keeps flashing on and off whilst the audio carries on nicely)

Is there anyone who can advise me of where I might be going wrong before I seriously pull all of my hair out! Thanks in advance if you can :)

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    Step 1) Rip with MakeMKV
    In MakeMKV expand the video stream explorer and check that all English tracks are selected on the main movie, you will be left with a 1:1 copy of the movie in an mkv container.

Step 2) Play the movie.mkv in VLC
    Play the movie in VLC and cycle through the audio tracks making note of which track number is what e.g. track 1 is main audio and track 3 is director commentary.

Step 4) Load movie.mkv into Handbrake
    On audio tab in Handbrake add the appropriate track numbers that you want and only those will remain in the finished MP4 video file.

3. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    I don't know, but once the movie is ripped, couldn't you use mkvmerge to select/deselect tracks you want??

Mkvmerge is very quick.

4. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    The problem is even when selecting just one of the tracks there either seems to be no audio or normal audio with the commentary over the top (and I deselected each one individually so no combination was left untouched?)

I am trying the different tool as suggested by Next010 and will report back shortly when the conversion is complete.

5. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    Well everything seemed to work great up until 2 mins ago when suddenly it appears the DVD drive is no longer recognised by the computer, it is not showing in Wind explorere, MKV tells me there is no disc inserted, what the hell??????? Did a quick search and seems to suggest that MKV may have disabled my bluray drive from working, I am seriously p****d off right now if that is indeed what has happened, anyone heard of this issue occuring?

6. halfelite

halfelite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    never herd of such an issue I have used makemkv for years and no issues

7. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    It worked fine for 2 rips and handbrake then converted fine, I just inserted the next BluRay and no disk recognised, went to wind explorer and power DVD and drive no longer shows. A quick google suggests this is an issue others have experienced with no apparent 'fix'

8. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Try disabling and re-enabling in control panel

9. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    What a Wally. The discs were fingerprint marked so a good clean sorted it out.

Hasn't fixed the issue of ripping though, with the suggested process the final mp4 is over 6gb and doesn't seem to be recognised by the ps3 or through the Sinology DS video app so back to square one with non working files :(

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  10. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    Something must be going wrong as the output from Handbrake should play on the PS3.

Select normal or high profile (better quality) preset.

Audio codec must be AAC or AC3, you cannot have DTS/TrueHD/DTS-HD audio in MP4.