Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Losing surround effect.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Slimchandi, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have two smaller Pioneer speakers I use for surround purposes, and due to room limitations they are placed about 80 degrees from the screen, so I sit behind both speakers. This means the surround effect is lost to a degree. I tried to drag the sofa into the centre of the room, and the change was enourmous!

Unfortunately the room can't have a sofa plonked in the middle, and there is nowhere else to put the speakers, unless they are directly left and right of the sofa, and I guess this would feel a little too close for comfort.

How can I improve the soundstage? They are small speakers and I have the levels for them at about +8db compared to the Missions I use for LR and C. I've been experimenting with angling them behind the sofa but had little effect. Am I looking at an upgrade? ;)

2. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,791
    How about putting them level with the sofa on the side walls, above the listening position?

3. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ATM they are sat on a windowsill and a side table. As I live in rented house I can't really go drilling holes in the walls, as much as I want to wall mount that plasma in my dreams.

The closest I could get to being level with the sofa is stands placed against the walls, but that would be quite an obstruction. Would dipoles/bipoles help in this situation?