1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing sight of what is a bargain ???

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by JSW, Feb 13, 2005.

1. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    All too often now I see bargains posted that to me are not actually bargains but just the normal everyday price of some of the cheaper etailers.

Are people losing sight of what a bargain actually is?

Too me a bargain is stumbled upon because of maybe a pricing error thats been spotted by a member, or a member has received an email of a great offer which they then share with us or just that someone has seen a really low price for something that is still normally priced everywhere else.

The Argos Starwars Trilogy for example was a bargain
    the RS Monsters inc was a bargain

Just posting items because they are the cheapest found on multiregion price checker etc too me are not bargains, they are there everyday for all to find normally, most people check there first anyway.

Too me bargains are ones found or stumbled upon by members and dont even show up on multiregion pricecheck site :smashin:

Views welcome :smoke:

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Know what you are getting at, but to be honest those sorts of situations are fairly rare hence this would be a spartan forum.

My most recent purchase was the Indiana Jones box set - 44.99 in the shops, 27.99 at play - can't go wrong there? But thanks to this forum I picked it up for 15.99, the uncut version too. The 15.99 wasn't a mistake, but it was certainly a bargain in my book....PJ

3. redindian40

redindian40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pricing errors are not bargains companys on realising there mistake very rarely see these orders through ,as news of these errors spread through the many forums and people put in multiple orders to sell on ebay or the like ,
    many bargains listed on here cannot be found on price search engines, not
    everyone has a dvdsoon fidelity card and are prepared to wait there delivery times, seeing the amount of views at the side of each bargain posted, i feel this section is a huge success,

4. imnotrich

imnotrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    But if you are true to yourself, how many of these "bargains" would you have normally bought!??

Are we all not thinking, well thats cheap, I'll buy that, instead of the normal process of I would really like that, its £30 at the moment, I will wait until it is cheaper and get it at a bargain price ;)

If I want it, I will buy it, sure I will shop for the lowest price but saving a few quid dont make it a bargain.

On the other hand, if it's cheap, like the recent Sainsbury's cock up, then I think well for a £5 each, why not!? So in that sense its a bargain in price but may not be a bargain if I dont like the films Ive ordered!

You can also buy bargains to make a profit on ebay and the such, again frowned upon really but that can also make buying more expensive things cheaper - now thats where your own principles get questioned :)

I dont think there is anything wrong with these forums or others like them, its kind of fun and as long as you can afford to do what you are doing then there's no harm.

The main thing to remember, is to question why you are buying it in the first place.

:)

5. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I buy a DVD because I want it and as such do the normal shopping around and usually get from my favorite etailer.

The bargains section actually helps me to buy DVD's I probably would not buy if it wasnt a bargain, Indiana Jones Trilogy and Star Wars Trilogy for instance, I would not of bought these at normal price. Alien Quad the same and Legacy I got of the AV Forums F/S section cause no way on this earth I'd of paid the retail price at the time :eek: LOL

6. guysie

guysie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I buy dvds for myself as a collector and recently bought monsters inc from RS
    that was a bargain.
    I do not sell anything on ebay, it is purely for me and my families use :)

WH you know who never honour a pricing mistake ever, but i have no problem anybody putting a bargain on here, as i dont think thess forums would not be here unless they post any kind of cheap items. :)

7. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +895
    I never buy dvd's @ full, or even close to full price. I also wait until I can get them further down the line for £7.99 or cheaper. Obviously I have a different pricing scale for boxsets with the most I would ever pay being £39.99, but thats only for the rrp£84.99 Star Trek sets, for Buffy sets the most I would pay (only need the 7th now) is £29.99 as they have a £79.99 rrp. Simpsons sets are always getting reduced so I will wait till seasons 5 is £14.99 (rrp £40 current best price £17.99) before buying it. This is the only way I can afford to buy all the discs I want. Having to wait ages is also not a problem as I have hundreds of other dvd's to watch in the meantime.

8. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what your saying, but (for instance) I don't look at all the sellers sites every day, and sometimes discs are only available for a short period of time before selling out.
    I only buy DVD's for the following reasons :
    I love the film,
    the PQ is excellent,
    DTS,
    extras - not normally important to me but if I love the film - (such as LOTR, Godfather etc). I will get it.

Some buy anything and everything, but I can't afford to do so. Through these forums, I got wind of HOFD Limited Edition for £24, Oldboy UE, and so on.

9. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529

Huh!! That doesn't sound like 'senior' behaviour to me :(

Regards,
    Valentino
    :clown:

10. zenki200

zenki200

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the term "bargain" in the sense of the threads in this forum is one forum user sharing the fruits of a few hours internet research with others so they can get the best possible price for a disc. I would much rather pay less than High St prices and to do this I am happy to spend a few hours on the net researching prospective buys. Having found my "bargain" I am then only more than happy to pass on my find to other users so they can benefit.
    If you are able to make a seller part with a DVD for a price listed in error then well done, but these occur rarely in my experience and it's not easy getting them to honour the price as far as I'm aware.
    I find this forum useful when looking for new DVD's and it has given me a few more sites that I use. Maybe they are not true "bargains" but I will continue to use this forums threads for research.

11. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Many times on this site I have seen bargains for DVD's I didn't even know existed which have lead me to go and purchase them (eg, Danish Spiderman 2 box set without the comic for under a tenner, and the recent post about the Kevin Smith box set). What may seem as trivial to one person could be a real find to someone else.

Also I feel that if by someone posting a cheap price for a DVD encourages others to show cheaper sites this can only help save us all money!

Regards,
    Valentino
    :clown:

12. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,500
    The DVD bargains forums relys on all members posting any DVDs that they may think is a bargain. This forum would be dead if it wasn't for the helpfulness of members posting their finds.

If you think someone has posted an item which isn't a bargain, find it cheaper and then reply on their thread. It's only by doing this that everyone can get the DVDs the cheapest.

I would say keep up the good work to everyone who posts bargains in the DVD bargains forum.

If it wasn't for this forum I would have never heard of DVDSoon and their many many bargains, along with tons of other stuff over the years. (although I would be a lot better off!)

13. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    My thoughts exactly. It’s a bit negative to complain about the quality of postings on a forum which is meant to help people find cheap DVDs. People who post in here are trying to be helpful and in the vast majority of cases they are. They shouldn’t be criticised or discouraged for their efforts.

As another poster has already mentioned really cheap "Mispriced" deals are extremely rare. You will only get a handful in a year if you are really lucky. The forum simply wouldn’t be what it is if there wasn’t a good turnover of threads.

I have bought loads of films off here that weren’t mispriced but were excellent value for money i.e. Sopranos Seasons 3 & 4 for £40 delivered.

This information was probably found on a DVD price comparison engine but I didn’t know about it.

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    lol what the fudge, does it matter in the slightest where the info comes from? If someone takes the time to post about something that they thought was a good buy then they should be applauded even if some people don't see it as much of a bargain.

People (like me when the situation arises) who post a "bargain" are only doing so to help other forum members and to be honest it does get on my wick some what when you get some fool who has nothing better to do than post stuff like "that's not a bargain - I bought it for 10p cheaper 3 months ago".

If you don't think it's a bargain for you then simply move on! It's a PUBLIC forum anyway - not anyones own private information source, so if a post helps one person then it's been worthwhile.

You do seem to get this a lot on forums (people who simply like to critisise others posts as they have nothing better to do) and I must say that they are a pet hate of mine.

15. Ian C.

Ian C.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    The day as gone when I will pay full price for dvds
    so this forum helps me get what I want at the price
    I think is value that bit quicker,thanks to all the peeps
    who take the trouble to share there findings. :thumbsup:

16. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    What is or isn't a bargain ? What may be a bargain today right now may not be considered one later on.

It's all relative. If any offer is posted here it usually points to the cheapest that DVD can be had at that time.

This is a useful source to direct you to these bargains quickly and efficiently. Otherwise you would be trawling each etailers site for hours upon end for DVD bargains to catch your eye. It's a great source for such info :thumbsup:

I do appreciate that you may see an offer and think just buy it because it appears good value. But then if you are buying simply for the sake of it and not to particularly to watch then it cannot be considered a bargain at all. I think there are many people with large collections that have many unopened DVD's amongst there collection. I know I have !

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    Can't see the point of this. Why would someone buy a DVD that they don't intend to watch - just because it's cheap? Usually there is a reason for a) it being cheap and b) it having not been watched before.

Do these people also go around buying really bad shoes and clothes that they never intend wearing?? It's not like most DVD's are collectable either - at the end of the day they will all be replaced again in the future by the next more Hig Def medium that comes out.

I can honestly say that apart from a couple of films off a Hitchcock 7 disc boxset that I got the other day, i've watched every film in my collection (which amounts to around 200 dvd's).

18. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Personally any films I have that have not been watched is due to lack of time only. They all get watched and used in the end. If they dont I always manage to find a good home for them.

Personally I find the stuff that get the most use are TV series boxsets, Friends, Futurama, Voyager, Deep Space Nine etc etc etc.

These get watched again and again as you can just throw one on in bed and its only 20 - 45 minutes. Its all down to personal taste I suppose.

Getting a bit off topic here though :rolleyes:

19. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I bought that set as well, bargain price and I like Hitchcock. It's still unopened though, since I don't have the time to watch them yet or in the near future. Bought the Laurel & Hardy set as well at a bragain price. Love L&H but haven't had the time to go through 21 DVD's. Point is they remain unpoened but that doesn't make them any less a bargain for the price I got them for.

I will eventually get round to watching them, sure but I want them in my collection.

Lots of people with large collections will understand the dilemma. I have well over 1500 (possibly 2000 ?) DVD's and still haven't had the time to catalogue all of them let alone watch them. They're all films I love, have seen previously or will wish to watch again (time permitting). I buy them cos I want them in my collection so I can watch them when I want, whenever I want, time permitting.

20. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Wow thats alot of dvds. I thought I had a few !

I dont have thousands, they do completely fill the biggest Bookcase Habitat do maybe 600 - 700 if you include the disks in boxsets.

I often think I should have a clear out. Trade sell / give away the ones I am bored with and am unlikely to watch again. But I must admit I`m a bit of a horder and only buy stuff I like. It is hard to get rid of films / programs you like and might watch again.

21. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +895
    I have 252, with 126 left to watch and nine or ten or order. I've recently cut my disc spending down to £20 a week as i'm getting rather swamped. Problem is if i've spent good money on a disc I insist on watching every single thing that's on there which takes a helluva lot of time, which I don't have that much off with work and doing other stuff. To help keep track I list down each and every buy I make and slowly work my way down the list, it's the tv series that take up the most time though, I watch two episodes a night of each series yet im hardly making a dent. Blooming Dead Zone Season 2 will take forever and a day to get through, it even has double audio commentaries on some episodes.