Psikis

Basically due to sony's stupidity to not include optical out, i will lose ability to have HDR on my games if i want to have lag-free sound. Is it a big loss or just minor graphics enchancer ?

For those wondering about my setup:

Ps4:
as my surround audio is about 19 years old, it doesnt have hdmi and just optical out (no idea why). So ps4 hdmi straight to tv. Optical from ps4 into a small converter box (optical IN - Coaxial OUT (OiCo) and then coaxial into surround system. All worked beautifully, HDR on, no sound lag.
Ps5:
had to buy sound extractor. So hdmi from ps5 into extractor, then from extractor another hdmi into tv and optical into OiCo box, but that setup disables HDR option (says that tv doesnt support hdr in the ps5 menu and game showed HDR as off without possibility to change it to ON). Then tried another setup: ps5 hdmi straight to tv, then optical from tv to OiCo box. With this setup all worked fine, surround ON, HDR ON, but ... In some instances sound lags ! Played PS5 game (only one, got ps5 last week), no lag, but when i put Trackmania on ps4 ... sound lagged. Put twitch on ps4 ... sound lagged.
Do i have any other options ?

Thx

mitch

Distinguished Member
Buy a new receiver? Some bargains to be had in the classifieds on here.

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
Optical is way too old it's been around in consoles since PS2 it's very basic and simply doesn't have the bandwidth to handle Modern HD audio that's why it was removed it servers no purpose any more when soundbars and AV receivers that support Multi-channel HD audio are becoming the norm.

As for your issue, you can't blame Sony for your choice in using 20-year-old tech, just what were you expecting to happen, do you have options, yeah get with the times and get a modern-day Soundbar or AV Reciever.

Last edited:

zt1903

Distinguished Member
Yep, agree DT.

Not including optical out is not “Sony stupidity”, it’s a conscious decision to not include a component that almost no one uses any more. HDMI has been standard for at least 15 years now.

The Xbox Series X does not have an optical port either, I imagine that they’ve come to the exact same conclusion as Sony.

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Basically due to sony's stupidity to not include optical out, i will lose ability to have HDR on my games if i want to have lag-free sound. Is it a big loss or just minor graphics enchancer ?

For those wondering about my setup:

Ps4:
as my surround audio is about 19 years old, it doesnt have hdmi and just optical out (no idea why). So ps4 hdmi straight to tv. Optical from ps4 into a small converter box (optical IN - Coaxial OUT (OiCo) and then coaxial into surround system. All worked beautifully, HDR on, no sound lag.
Ps5:
had to buy sound extractor. So hdmi from ps5 into extractor, then from extractor another hdmi into tv and optical into OiCo box, but that setup disables HDR option (says that tv doesnt support hdr in the ps5 menu and game showed HDR as off without possibility to change it to ON). Then tried another setup: ps5 hdmi straight to tv, then optical from tv to OiCo box. With this setup all worked fine, surround ON, HDR ON, but ... In some instances sound lags ! Played PS5 game (only one, got ps5 last week), no lag, but when i put Trackmania on ps4 ... sound lagged. Put twitch on ps4 ... sound lagged.
Do i have any other options ?

Thx
What TV do you have? What sound options/settings are available to change on the TV? What audio output settings on the PS5 are you using?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom