Losing BBC3 and 4 when off air? DVB-S

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by fearghost, Mar 14, 2006.

1. fearghost

fearghost
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm relatively new to the world of MCE and recently installed OEM 2005 on my system.

I decided to go the Technotrend DVB-S 1500 (With BDA Drivers) route and have managed to pick up pretty much all of the Astra 28.2 Free To Air Channels after scanning. I have the full Sky EPG and mapped it to the channels I selected.

Everything appeared fine until the next morning when BBC3 and BBC4 were off air. Checking the 'guide' I found that those channels had disappeared? I tried re-scanning after 7pm but the channels were not found again?

Any clues as to what is happening would be much appreciated. Is there a way to stop MCE removing channels that it thinks have gone when all along they are off air temporarily?

Thanks in advance

2. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I am looking for a solution to this too. I believe that the problem is that for DVB-T (Freeview) which is what the DVB-S driver is emulating MCE does so called opportunistic scanning to check whether there are any new channels. There probably is a registry entry you can edit to switch this off but I haven't spent any time looking.

I have been experencing an even worse problem in that I edited my registry to change the EPG headend number from a Freeview one to a Sky one giving me EPG data for most of the FTA channels on Astra 28.2. I then shuffled about the channels so that BBC1 was channel 1 BBC2 channel 2 etc then I mapped the EPG entries to the correct channels. Unfortunately the next day I discovered that MCE had doen a re-scan of all the channels & I had lost all the changes that I had made.

I would appreciate any suggestions & am glad to find that I am not the only one pursuing the MCE DVB-S route. Currently I can decode the encrypted channels using my legitimate Sky card in a Dragon CAM but only by using the CAMControl application & manually clicking on the 'Decrypt' button. Apparently this decoidng is automatic for some oher CAMs as I have heard reports from Germany, the Netherlands & Austria that encrypted channels can be accessed & decrypted automatically within MCE.

3. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ACK !
    This just happened to me this afternoon. Lost BBC3 and BBC4 along with the programmes I had scheduled.

My re-organized channel list is still where I left it but channels 3 & 4 are now gone (they were assigned to BBC3 & BBC4).

Like you Nigel I'm telling MCE that I'm in Essex and using the Crystal Palace DVB-T. I've set the headend in the registry to 210193.

I've had to setup the guide and scan for services again. Grrr.
    But now it doesn't find BBC3 or BBC4 when scanning for services. I wonder should I select a different DVB-T transmitter ? {I'll try that now}

One thing I'll try later : there is another registry entry I've changed its:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\ProgramGuide\strProviderID

I'll change this to 210193 to see if it makes any difference.

Also I spotted
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\EPG
    I'll change this to 210193 also to see if makes a difference.

4. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might be onto something :
    don't CBBC and CBeebies share the same transponders/slots (whatever) as BBC3 and BBC4 ?

I notice that now I've got CBBC and CBeebies on the EPG (didn't have them yesterday). I'm going to leave them there to see if at 7:00pm they disappear and I get BBC3 and BBC4 back. If not I'll do another scan after 7:00pm to see if I get a different channel line-up.

Then... I'll leave it all alone tomorrow to see if this corrects itself or if it's an inherent problem in the way the EPG is put assembled.

5. fearghost

fearghost
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think I'm starting to get to grips with whats happening here. When I first scanned for channels it was after 7pm which meant that BBC3 and BBC4 were on air. Everything was fine.

The next morning I checked the EPG and initially BBC3 and BBC4 were still there. Checking back again after 10 mins or so they had gone! I didnt do a re-scan at this point but when I went back into mapping the channels I found that they were still there and ticked. Going back to Live TV I tried changing channels up and down but it just bypassed BBC3 and BBC4.

Later that night I checked again and they were still gone, but after another 10 mins or so they re-appeared.

It seems that while the channels are off air (or being broadcast as a different channel) they are unavailable.

I guess this makes sense, but is a real pain if you would want to schedule a recording on BBC3 while its off air, or watch whatever is on at 7pm!

I've noticed that ITV4 is off air also during the day but remains in the EPG. Im not sure whether this is because the channel doesnt broadcast as a different station during the day or because it still broadcats a 'Channel Off Air' while 'Off Air'.... :confused:

6. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah BBC3 & BBC4 came back after 7:00pm and I've scheduled recordings.

I'm going to leave it alone to see if it all corrects itself again at 7:00pm this evening. My only concern is that the scheduled recordings are lost - at the moment they're not there (that is: anything on BBC3 & BBC4 that I've scheduled).

7. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting. I can see BBC3 BBC4 now in the guide showing "channel off air". That's what I would have expected.
    I wonder if MCE does a channel scan in the background later in the day that causes them to drop off the guide ?

8. fearghost

fearghost
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, I think thats whats happening, although whenever I've checked back in 10 minutes or so the channels are gone so it really doesnt take very long. It would be very useful to find a way of preventing MCE from doing an automatic channel scan. Maybe theres a registry entry somewhere?

9. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    With DVB-T MCE does an opportunistic scan every time it tunes to a new multiplex or in the case of our DVB-S cards transponder. So it spots that BBC Three & Four are missing so removes them from the guide but also spots that CBBC & CBeebies are there so adds them. So if you don't tune to any other channels on that transponder (10773000H) then you wouldn't lose the channels.

This opportunistic scanning causes problems for Freeview in MCE as channel names transmitted sometimes e.g. ITV1 or ITV 1 also if there is a brief loss of signal for a particular channel MCE can remove it from the guide. I assume that there is something in the DVB-T EPG that lets MCE know that channels only broadcast part time so that they don't get removed from the EPG just because they are off-air.

There probably is some registry entry that would stop the opportunistic scanning but I have not been able to find it.