• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Lorry rams car on M1

eob

Prominent Member
M1 lorry shunts: Police failed to attend call for three hours - BBC News

Call me cynical, but when I read "Mr Stockdale, who runs a dashcam company," I was a bit like:
image.jpg

Flimber

Distinguished Member
His "they didn't come for three hours" bleat seems a tad OTT to me. I mean, he already told them he had dashcam footage and he was 'safe'. Did he really expect a dozen cars on the scene, all sirens blazing ? Given that, presumably, no police were available or were assigned to more urgent matters it looks like a perfectly valid, "We'll visit this Gentleman in the morning" situation to me. I get that he was shaken up and all but friggin' drive to the nearest police station mate and stop being so self-important :smashin:

PsyVision

Distinguished Member
Obviously not seen all of the footage aside from the small section in the news but at the start he's sat in the middle lane, truck on his right hand side and nothing for miles on the left hand lane. Maybe the lorry driver was pissed he was lane hogging?

marksovereign

Prominent Member
Obviously not seen all of the footage aside from the small section in the news but at the start he's sat in the middle lane, truck on his right hand side and nothing for miles on the left hand lane. Maybe the lorry driver was pissed he was lane hogging?
There's no excuse for chucking 44 tonnes around! theres a world of difference between lane hogging and driving an HGV like a total c*ck that could kill somebody

eob

Prominent Member
From what I can tell, it looks like the lorry driver uses lane 3 to overtake.
If this is genuine, then he deserves to get the book thrown at him.

Gavin_Hall

Established Member
Agree with comments, but the car driver is clearly just sitting in middle lane, and from lack on traffic in front, lord knows whether this had been ongoing for miles and lorry couldn't get past? Maybe :)

Sounds like there is more to this dashcam advert than meets the eye!

eob

Prominent Member
If I was a betting man, there would be one of two scenarios:
car driver wouldn't move from middle lane as lorry was gaining on another wagon and thus had to lose momentum (something which they hate to do) by slowing down.
OR
Lorry pulled out to pass something only to be met by a barrage of abuse from the fast approaching car driver which then escalated to what we see on the clip.

AMc

Distinguished Member
The lorry driver is clearly at fault for dangerous driving, it seems possible that the complainant had done something earlier to start an argument but the reaction is still crazy.

In the drivers shoes I'd have pulled over into the lane 1, accelerated or slowed as soon as the truck moved into lane 3 - he was clearly intending to do something very stupid. You have a responsibility to your own safety. There is no way I would have sat there and let him ram me no matter how guiltless I might be.

I would have made sure I had the details of the truck then got off at the first exit and reported him, chasing him along the M1 seems like a dangerous thing to do for yourself and anyone else on the road.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Thought he was going to die?
Shaking?
What a delicate little flower this man must be.....
Why do I get the impression a number of dashcam users are far from innocent, but like to 'play the victim'?

Last edited:

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I am at a transport seminar today and showed the video clip to a DVSA senior enforcement officer who was sat next to me.

He agrees the actions of the truck driver are totally unacceptable, but was also keen to see the whole video. It does look like the car driver goads the truck driver and it is very suspicious that he has blanked out his speed on the clip...

Personally, I would like to see them both prosecuted. The truck driver for dangerous driving and the car driver for careless driving. If it was shown that he tried to manipulate events for his own gain, then it gets a whole lot more serious for him however.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
From what I can tell, it looks like the lorry driver uses lane 3 to overtake.
If this is genuine, then he deserves to get the book thrown at him.

I did agree with this to start with, but then watched the video again.
At the start of the video, you can see something flashing from the dashcam car reflected in the front the lorry.
I cannot tell if it's brake lights or hazards.
But it's something, and I now get the distinct impression the lorry driver was being goaded.
If he thinks the car is in trouble (hazards) or braking deliberately, he can only go into the right hand lane.
There's another lorry to his left.

Last edited:

Hpi_matrix

Established Member
The driver was a "former special constable", what does that mean? Former special needs?

There are a number of fishy things going on here:

• Why didnt he move over to the left lane when the lorry was "ramming" him or in fact well before that?
  • How/why did he get in front of the lorry 14 minutes later?
  • Damage on the car seems very light
  • He had shoulder and neck pain, and needed an ambulance (after following the lorry all the all to the depot?)
Sounds to me like he was hoping for something like this to happen and got lucky with a C&^% of a lorry driver who he wound up.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
I'm now pretty sure that's the dashcam car's hazards you can see reflected in the front of the lorry at the start of the video.
Very odd.

eob

Prominent Member
I'm now pretty sure that's the dashcam car's hazards you can see reflected in the front of the lorry at the start of the video.
Very odd.
Lights, camera....ACTION! :D

Hpi_matrix

Established Member
Without speed data isn't it entirely possible that Mr Stockdale was speeding up when the lorry was trying to get back into the middle lane? Thus creating the illusion he was being cut up?

Gavin_Hall

Established Member
"Mr Stockdale, who runs a dashcam company,"..... say no more!

Lee

On first viewing I thought the car was in the middle lane due to having just overtaken a lorry. The lorry behind then impatiently pulls into the outside lane and then hits the car when pulling back over. Lorry driver bang out of order.

Then I read the rest of this thread and this....
Very odd.
Good spot. Definitely looks like hazard lights.

So now I see the car driver with hazard lights on, the lorry driver moves to the outside lane because hazard lights could mean the car is about to stop. The lorry driver then misjudges pulling back over or the car has sped up and catches the car.

Be interesting to see what the outcome of this one is.

Last edited:

mjn

Distinguished Member
Where to start?

Truck in Lane 3
Car hogging middle lane with hazards on
Car driving slower than a truck
Needing an amulance for that minor side swipe
6 x 999 calls :eek:

Pair of idiots.

IronGiant

I hope he was using a handsfree when he made that call :)

Sebastalona

Distinguished Member
I think Dennis Weavers legacy is safe for now.

yYPTnCn.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom