Lord of the Rings - TV Series (Amazon) ETA 2021

Lusankya

so 200 mil per series - say 10-12 episodes per series - around 20mil per episode... around double of GOT? I hope it is very good :)
That has to include marketing as well.

douki

200 million per season.... yikes. Do people really want more LOTR? I mean ordinary people, not obsessives. The movies were often quite tedious. At least GOT has plenty of gratutious nudity and gore, whereas LOTR has to be family friendly. Seems like a big gamble to me.

D

Deleted member 275754

I love LOTR and rate the films collectively as among my best, but I don't know about extending it further to a tv show. I'm sure it would be good and I'd watch it, but, in a way I think they should leave it alone as the films and not dilute it to an endless tv show.

Anyone else think this way about it ?

brian s

Distinguished Member
Well I think 3 films for The Hobbit wasn't enough. Five seasons of around 22 episodes might just be enough to do justice to the book. Six or seven seasons would definitely do it.

Bri

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
Personally, as much as I love the LOTR movie trilogy (and to a much lesser extent, The Hobbit), I'd actually like Amazon's TV series to have it's own identity. I get the feeling that's not going to happen if PJ gets involved with it.
It'd be extremely hard to make it without some kind of WETA involvement, so PJ would always have a toe in the water in that respect at least, but I'd be a lot more interested in the series if it was offering a completely fresh take on Middle Earth. Retreading much the same path with exactly the same people at the helm just feels a bit too much meh, already seen that. I hope he opts to take the DC path and gives us a completely OTT comic book flick instead

Sonic67

Banned
I'd actually like Amazon's TV series to have it's own identity. I get the feeling that's not going to happen if PJ gets involved with it.
Agreed. I'm a fan of the Lemony Snicket series. It did an outing first as a film and then as a Netflix series. I thought the series might suffer but now I think it's a lot better.

If a LOTR series is going to copy anything I think it will be following GOT. Let's face it, everyone wants to do the next GOT.

brian s

Distinguished Member
Stick a wad load of benjimans under Andy Serkis' nose and whet his appetite ! Lol

What Andy Serkis Thinks About Returning For The Lord Of The Rings Show

Andy says

Oh boy, listen, I mean...I don't think so. And if I was anyone making those, they're obviously going to want to start fresh and create something brand new. And that's how it should be. That's what you do with great, classic pieces of work. Like [The Jungle Book]. It bears repetition, and it bears reinterpretation. And I think it needs a fresh pair of ears and eyes, and I'm sure that's the way they'll go.

I agree with his basic premise but to then push his involvement in yet another version of The Jungle Book? I'm assuming his use of the word bears twice is not a coincidence.

tumblr_m5wzrboCHL1r337tvo1_1280.gif

Bri

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Peter Jackson not involved with this series
“I’m not involved at all in the ‘Lord of the Rings’ series. I understand how my name could come up, but there is nothing happening with me on this project.”

Nor making any comic book movies on possibly tackling a DC Comics title of some kind
“That’s not true. I had no discussions about that. I’m not a fan of comics, I’ve never read any, so I’m not particularly interested in adapting one for cinema. That’s not true at all.”

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
If this has Netflix's stellar production values, it could be amazing, l'ii be disappointed if it doesn't with with the billions pumped into it, can't wait

D1D5xluV4AApw9A.jpg

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them, In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

'Lord of the Rings' TV Series Teases Surprising Setting

The Amazon Prime’s Lord of the Ring series teases fans with an unexpected setting that no one saw coming.

An image of a map with the following caption: “One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them, In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.”

The quote is pulled from the verse inscribed upon the One Ring, but the map is what caught everyone’s attention. As you can see above, the frayed paper shows the open sea of Belegaer with an island in the bottom. It is there Numenor can be found, and the page followed up the map’s reveal with a rather telling teaser.

“Welcome to the Second Age,”, leaving fans to wildly speculate about Numenor’s involvement with The Lord of the Rings.

For those of you unfamiliar with the nation, it was a kingdom of Men originally established by Valar during the Second Age. It was made following Beleriand’s fall and housed both Numenoreans and Dundeains.

Banned from sailing beyond the nation’s sight, the men of Numenor lived in peace for some time before they grew to resent Valar. The men wished to explore the world and wanted eternal life, so they sailed to the east and forcefully took over sections of Middle Earth. With Sauron on the rise, Numenor would meet its tragic downfall down the line, but its survivors would go on to create the kingdoms of Armor and Gondor.

So far, there is no word on how this setting will play into the series, but fans are eager to see Numenor at its peak. Peter Jackson’s film trilogy took place far after the nation fell, and its history as a kingdom of Men makes its a simple place to start The Lord of the Rings. Moving forward, the nation’s birth and fall sets up major events in J.R.R. Tolkein’s iconic series, so here’s to hoping fans will get to enjoy Numenor for a little while before Sauron falls upon the kingdom.

Last edited:

richp007

Distinguished Member
Initially wasn't too excited about this, but my interest is growing. A lot of talent involved.

One thing I was always disappointed about with all the films, was we never got to see Sauron up and about, like before Isildur (I think it was) chopped off his finger!

Gotta hand it to Amazon these days for pumping out some top content.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cabasse launches limited edition Pearl Pelegrina speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar