1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lord of the rings trilogy extended edition 12 disc box set,which region is best???

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by paul1672, Jan 4, 2005.

1. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    hi there
    just as title says,i'm looking to purchase the lord of the rings trilogy extended edition 12 disc box set and was wondering if anyone can advise me which region would be best to purchase (region one or region two).
    or will it really matter?
    it's going to be viewed on a 92" screen through a pj if that matters???
    i did read a rumour that the region two versions had problems????
    is that the case or not?
    any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    paul

2. Mumfalan

Mumfalan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely R1. You get all of the easter eggs whereas R2 misses out on them (and they are definitely worth having!). The R1 has much better packaging, they are in a stiff leathery texture case whereas the R2 are just in a slipcase. Also there were some audio problems with R2 FOTR extended due to audio repitching on the PAL master, and then you also don't get PAL 4% speed up. I originally bought the R2 FOTR and Two Towers extended but have since sold them and purchased the region 1 versions instead.

3. crooksm

crooksm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd vote for the R2 - if Paul is viewing this on a 92" screen then he'd definately appreciate the extra resolution this version gives. I'm guessing as well that he won't notice the slightly higher pitch that this version exhibits (I didn't anyway) - no offense intended.

Here's a link to the (very detailed) visual comparisons between the two: http://www.videophile.info/Review/FOTR/FOTR_01.htm

4. Mumfalan

Mumfalan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed, it is predominantly whether you prefer NTSC or PAL although with the LOTR's release, I think the fact that the R1 has the easter eggs, MUCH better packaging and its extras aren't cut means that the R1 is the one to go for, unless you really are a PAL guy. :p

5. smartiepants

smartiepants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  6. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  7. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
  8. smartiepants

smartiepants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

taiwan new dollars works out about £60 but you have got approx £20 postage also customs on top of that if it gets picked up :rolleyes:

9. mothball

mothball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this what the UK version box set looks like? Or this zone4 with the fake leather feel boxes.

If you get the zone4 version it gives you the best of both worlds PAL for better picture and the easter eggs!!

PAL or NTSC. See this thread for a very informative and in depth review and this for a winners and losers list.

10. KAC

KAC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for the R1 as the elvish subs are burned in and not player generated like other regions.

11. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Am I missing something here? Surely the R1 NTSC versions are going to be of inferior quality because:

A. The NTSC signal is technically inferior to PAL. In the industry we refer to NTSC as Never The Same Colour (Twice).

B. NTSC is 525 lines compared to PAL's 625 lines.

C. Film is shot at 24 frames per second, PAL video is 25 frames per second and NTSC is 30 frames per second (i.e. PAL is closer to the frame rate of the original source material).

Although I understand some people wanting the Easter Eggs and the better packaging surely it's the technical quality of the actual film that's important.

As long as both versions used the same transfer source and nothing got mucked up in the authoring process then the actual films should theoretically look far superior in PAL.

Discuss?

12. Mumfalan

Mumfalan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll happily discuss :). Firsly, the never twice the same color comment refers to broadcast NTSC therefore is irrevelant here (please correct me if im wrong, im not totally sure on this point). Secondly, generally IMO for films the difference in picture quality between NTSC and PAL is academic and mainly depends on the source, i think NTSC looks just as good as PAL especially progressive scan although I will concede with LOTR's that the PAL picture is SLIGHTLY better.
    Also, the fact that PAL is closer to 24fps actually is one of the major bad points of PAL here because in order to get it to 25fps, they speed it up 4% and I really hate this. I much prefer the 3:2 pulldown for NTSC to get to 30 frames because you see the film at the correct speed and the judder for me isn't a problem and you can also get dvd players which get rid of pulldown and play NTSC films at 24fps (I think its mainly personal preference as to whether you prefer the speedup or NTSC pulldown).

Also, i think the R1's have enough other advantages to overcome to PAL's slightly better picture. The easter eggs are really worth having IMO, the R2 FOTR's day in the life of a hobbit has a really good part cut from it, the R1 packaging is much better and I also prefer the burnt in elvish subs on R1.

13. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Fair enough!! Also, I suspect you're correct regarding the NTSC part - possibly something to do with the carrier signal when NTSC is transmitted?