Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - TV Series (Amazon) Sept. 2, 2022

JohnnyMN

This feels like a repeat of Star Wars all over again. I don't like this attitude that many writers and producers have where they think they can come in and write something better than what came before. "The novel Tolkien never wrote." I believe was one of the writer's comments. Tolkien was the Homer of modern times and to think they can come up with anything other than some inferior fan fiction is pure arrogance. Tolkien may have hated PJ's trilogy, we'll never know but at least PJ approached the adaptation with humility and knew the most important thing was to preserve Tolkien's themes and ideas. Not inject it with his own. I'll give this show a chance because it's LOTR but everything I've seen so far leads me to believe it will be a disaster. An expensive one 👀.

Call me Candy

Distinguished Member
If the last few seasons of Game of Thrones taught us anything its that TV moguls cannot be trusted when they run out of source material.
I loved the books & loved the LOTR films. The Hobbit films left me a little bored.....
3 films to cover a very short novel. Will certainly watch this but fear that like a lot of people it will be once & never again.

bilbosmeggins

Distinguished Member
I’ve already made the decision not to watch it out of principle. I find it incredibly shameful what they have done, and they have been exceptionally brazen about it. That a bunch of ponytails, hipsters and designer stubble merchants think that Tolkien’s work isn’t, in it’s native form, good enough, and that they can somehow embellish, distort, and improve upon it beggars belief.

Amazon are currently waging a campaign against Tolkien fans, and have been deleting negative press and comment on an almost industrial scale. “Experts” are being drafted in left, right and centre to try and put their spin on things, and shoehorn Amazon’s take into public acceptance. It’s not going well, and is only serving to further alienate the fan base.

I shall cancel my Prime membership when it airs, and for the whole duration of it’s run. Petty I know, and the tiniest of drops in the ocean for the billion dollar company. But I feel very strongly about protecting the sanctity of Tolkien’s beautifully crafted world. I shall feel so much better, and I’ll be doing it for the Shire 😉

Call me Candy

Distinguished Member
I’ve already made the decision not to watch it out of principle. I find it incredibly shameful what they have done, and they have been exceptionally brazen about it. That a bunch of ponytails, hipsters and designer stubble merchants think that Tolkien’s work isn’t, in it’s native form, good enough, and that they can somehow embellish, distort, and improve upon it beggars belief.

Amazon are currently waging a campaign against Tolkien fans, and have been deleting negative press and comment on an almost industrial scale. “Experts” are being drafted in left, right and centre to try and put their spin on things, and shoehorn Amazon’s take into public acceptance. It’s not going well, and is only serving to further alienate the fan base.

I shall cancel my Prime membership when it airs, and for the whole duration of it’s run. Petty I know, and the tiniest of drops in the ocean for the billion dollar company. But I feel very strongly about protecting the sanctity of Tolkien’s beautifully crafted world. I shall feel so much better, and I’ll be doing it for the Shire 😉
I admire your fight for the cause & salute your tenacity to fight the good fight sir.
Me.... I'm weak & a bit of a moaner. I fully intend to watch it.... then probably whinge, whine & moan about it everyday for the rest of my life....

bilbosmeggins

Distinguished Member
Thank you. It’s a shame it isn’t part of a much wider stance, whereby Amazon could actually feel the backlash, but it’s all I’ve got 😂

raduv1

Distinguished Member
It will either be good bad or meh like any other bloody show but so many fans and influencers alike on YT will give you the low down before you they and anyone can see it. Clicks sell babe.

Hey it be Amazon , bloody WOKE diversity sh*te , they can't get it right.. Right?

Well danm, yup they ruined Reacher series did they not , oh and The Boys was so bloody tame arsed sh*te .

Call me Candy

Distinguished Member
It will either be good bad or meh like any other bloody show but so many fans and influencers alike on YT will give you the low down before you they and anyone can see it. Clicks sell babe.

Hey it be Amazon , bloody WOKE diversity sh*te , they can't get it right.. Right?

Well danm, yup they ruined Reacher series did they not , oh and The Boys was so bloody tame arsed sh*te .
I think you're right..... obviously.
I will watch it & hope for the best. But I am a bit worried.

BlueOrange25

Distinguished Member
Reading through some of the more critical comments, I'm not sure if people are serious, overreacting or having a laugh.

I'll watch it. I'll probably like it. I'd even watch Game of Thrones again, every season, so my dross threshold is at Mount Doom levels.

The 'sanctity' of Tolkien's work and the 'butchery' of diversity - it's fiction. If I'm to suspend my disbelief for a world that places such importance on a bit of jewellery, I can easily take a bit diversity in casting.

If you want a 'faithful' preservation of Tolkien's work, you already have it: the books are still in print. As an aside, there are some very nice hardback versions out there that would look nice on any bookshelf.

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
Big preview in this month's Empire - feels like a new trailer is imminent.

1654616876584.png

1654616890000.png

1654616899361.png

1654617071826.png

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom