Lord Of The Rings R1 DISSAPOINTMENT

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Riker, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Riker

Riker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

This is my first post on these froums and I'm sorry to start on a negative note, this post concerns the Widescreen Region 1 edition of
    The Lord Of The Rings.

I have over 300 DVD's in my collection so I think I know what I'm talking about.

THIS IS A NICE DISC IN GENERAL. What spoils it as far as I can tell concerns people like me who are watching the Widescreen 2:35.1 presentation on a 4:3 ( not widescreen) TV

I have seen this problem on a few DVD's I have (not many -
    maybe 1 in 100)

The problem I am talking about is that on a 4:3 screen the letterbox black bars at the top and bottom are actually split in half and appear as two shades of black which are distracting when watching the movie in a darkened room.

I have many anamorphic 2:35.1 DVD's which do not have this problem. I have only ever noticed this on the lord of the rings R1 DVD and the following - The Perfect Storm R1, The Mummy R1 (Only a few scenes), American Psycho R2 and Living daylights R1.

It has nothing to do with my player - I have tried these discs on my Sony 725, Scan SC 2500 and a friends Pioneer 717 and the result is the same on any 4:3 TV - basically very dissapointing for this movie which I have been looking forward to all year!

Just comes down to lazy authoring - If you have a widescreen 16:9 TV u r OK - if you have a 4:3 TV you will have this problem - shows a lack of product testing and a typical "**** You" attitude by companies like New Line.

Any positive input appreciated - anyone noticed the same?

Cheers

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I sounds to me like the brightness on your tv isn't properly adjusted. Try to lower the brightness until the 2 shades of black match.

Jeff

3. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome!

Short answer - isn't there a fullscreen version of the DVD, which is specificially optimised for 4:3 display? The widescreen version assumes you are using a widescreen display. Although from what you're saying widescreen displays will have issues, although with a heck of a lot more picture than bar, compared with 2.35:1 on a 4:3 TV! The bar colours could also be a mastering problem - check with your supplier.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same thing (I'd actually written a similar post when the bloody system went down), I have noticed this on one or two other anamorphic discs as well, the simple answer is buy a widescreen, that's what I'm doing.

and I don't think the brightness levels have anything to do with it, these are two seperate bars from what I can see and different shades of 'black'. I assumed it was something to do with the disc being anamorphic.

And has anyone else noticed the 'water ripples' that look like they are 'under' the picture in three scenes... once when the camera pans over the map towards the beginning, once when Boromir goes over the waterfall and I can't remember the other?

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,522
    Personally I think that by the sounds of it, it's a problem with the contrast and brightness controls of your TV. The black bars must be encoded with a different shade of black. If the contrast and brightness are set correctly, then I suspect that you would not be able to tell any difference between the shades of black.
    Having seen the DVD through my CRT projector which is correctly set up, I can't see anything except black outside the picture.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but your pj is displaying it in the correct aspect ratio without having to 'mask-off' half the screen (obviously since its a pj) so the problem wouldn't occur.
    on a 4:3 tv the dvd player is blacking out a section of the screen to display the film in the correct aspect ratio. could it be that we are seeing the blacked out sections from the DVD player and some of the bars from the print (would there even be bars on an anamorphic disc?)

7. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can we assume these 4:3 TV's have an anamorphic WS mode? Thsi means the TV will put the first 2 black bars there, in a 16:9 format, as LOTR is 2.35:1 then it will have it's own black bars too. Sounds like the contrast or Brigthess on the TV need adjusting so that these bars match.

Try the THX video optimiser that comes on some disks like Phantom menace. It's in the Sound options menu.

It could be that Pal TV's do something different with blacks when playing NTSC material so if you have a R1 THX optimiser, use that to get a true picture.

Nick

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if I put the tv in widescreen mode i would have three sets of bars and a tiny, tiny picture. I will try fiddling with the picture settings though, although I doubt that two different shades will ever 'match'.

9. Army Bloke2

Army Bloke2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you set you DVD player to 16.9 or wide (whatever it has on the setup) this will cure this. You will, in effect, be watching an anamorphic widescreen picture.

Some 4.3 TV's have a nasty habit of having some nasties on the black line (white noise, colour bars) and the likes. Hopefully you don't have one of these TV's.

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yea but then you will be watching a squished picture. the dvd is set for 4:3 (letterbox) screen so I am watching it into correct ratio.

11. Army Bloke2

Army Bloke2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you put the DVd palyer into wide or 16.9 and then put the TV into 16.9 mode, that should sort out your problem.

12. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,918
    I agree.

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah....

i see what you're getting at i'll give it a go

EDIT just tried it and still got two different colour 'black' bars, the darker outer set from the tv and a lighter inner set from the disc cos lotr is 1:2.35 rather than 16:9. But i've altered the contrast and they almost match. Looking at the picture now I don't know how I watched tv with the contrast so low.

14. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,210
    er you might get a better result if you use the brightness control to adjust black level rather than contrast

15. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Get a test disc: Avia or Video Essentials. Pricey, but worth their weight in gold (more in fact!)

Avia is CAN$66.95 at DVDBoxOffice, £39.99 at Future Ent, US$37.46 + S&H from Amazon.com

Can't find a retailer for VE, not sure if it's out now but a re-release is on the cards.

16. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Confucias

What's with the flag?

Have you been watching that George Michael video again? :D

17. Army Bloke2

Army Bloke2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seeing as though you are quite a senior member of these here forums, I am prepared to lend you my copy of the ultimate platinum dvd. It's not as good as avia but will help you set the contrast and brightness levels. Will also let you know if your sound system is up to scratch as well.

Pm me your details and I'll get it in the post. It will save you a few quid.

18. iankerry

iankerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My TV is completely black when I play this disk.

Coz it hasn't arrived yet, apparently is isn't released until August 6th.

Where do you lot shop and can I get the url?

:D

------------------------------

Ian
    Flicks in the Sticks

19. Army Bloke2

Army Bloke2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy here I orderded at 0815 on Wednesday and my disc came on Thursday first post.

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most of us got the Canadian R1 disc from Play.com. If you've got a multi-region player, R1 discs are usually released first. LOTR was (i think ) released a week before the R2 UK.

21. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,918
    Officially the whole world is on the same release date for LOTR, Tuesday 6th August

22. Army Bloke2

Army Bloke2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Key word there being Officially

23. malcy

malcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I only had a 4.3 tv I did notice this problem on a number of disks, some from Fox were particularly bad. I think it is the bars on the DVD picture ie what takes it from 16.9 to 2.35 are not pure black they are more grey. The bars from 4.3 to 16.9 set by either my TV or DVD player were pure black, so had to lighten to try and match using the TV picture settings.

Therefore is more a fault of how the studio has mastered the DVD rather than a TV / player problem.

LOTR early from R1 is because most UK R1 e-tailers use wholesaler who get disks upto 3 or 4 weeks prior to release, more so for US than Canadian stock, as breaking release dates is common over there. Here in the UK release dates are more rigoursly enforced some sources like Play R2 get many titles to you a few days before release, but others like amazon.co.uk follow the rules and post on the Friday or Sturday before release so Royal Mail permitting gets to you on release date.

24. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I'm not a fan; of his music, his lifestyle 'choice', or his politics.

25. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And theres me thinkin this was a LOTR thread.
    what a waste of time!!!:mad: I just spend the last 10 minutes scroling through this nonsense.
    For gods sake get yourselfs a widescreen tv. How can you call yourselfs home cinema fans when your using 4x3 tellies.

If your using 2.35 till 1 dvds the picture is all there but its very small size. tiny.
    If your using 4x3 discs,you are missing half the originall picture :eek:

Get real and pick up a widescreen tv.

26. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ???

27. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,210
    This is highly unlikely and I strongly suggest you adjust your brightness and contrast levels.

28. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,810
    i talk a lot, but doesn't mean i know what i'm on about! :)

29. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK chipper you lend me the £550 I need then. You are a dangerously stupid person and you prove it regularly.