Lord Of The Rings - New Live Action Movies (TBC) Warner /New Line (TBC)

Drax1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Looks like we're heading back to Middle Earth on the big screen ...Peter Jackson may possibly be involved and it doesn't sound they will be a retread of the existing two trilogies.

Last edited:
I'm not really a Middle Earth geek, so I have no clue how viable other material is. Not fussed what Warner do, so long as it doesn't tread on the toes of the original trilogy. It certainly sounds like the studio has big plans, whether we like it or not...

I'm not really a Middle Earth geek, so I have no clue how viable other material is. Not fussed what Warner do, so long as it doesn't tread on the toes of the original trilogy. It certainly sounds like the studio has big plans, whether we like it or not...
Understandable, huge money making franchise, need to keep cranking them out. Not fan at all. So this is the last you’ll hear from me.

I’d have no problem with this if it wasn’t just naff fan fiction or worse, the hobbit movies.

If they're going to do it I hope they cast their net wider and further than Amazon did when it comes to finding someone with the chops to write something worthy of being part of the world Tolkien created.

I find the Middle Earth films and TV show have the same problem as Game Of Thrones - when you have a massive amount of fully developed material to work with you can produce something great. But when there's not much material to adapt, the things they make up to fill in the blanks just doesn't compare.

I'd like to think there's someone out there that can actually pull this off so it's more than just a lot of visual effects

Well, I'm excited at the news. The original LOTR films are amongst my absolute favourites but repeating the trick is a tough ask, even if we get Peter Jackson & Fran Walsh back onboard. It's all about the writing for me; can they come up with a story as good as Tolkien's original & be as consistently well written as the original films? There's no reason why not but it's also a lot easier to come up with something that isn't as good. I'd say the Hobbit films were perhaps 80% as good as the LOTR films & there's the danger that the next ones might only be 80% as good as the Hobbit films but I'll stay positive & excited at the possibility that we might yet be treated to more wonders.

The very best films make genre almost irrelevant in that I dislike musicals but I like Singin' In The Rain & The Wizard Of Oz & I dislike horror but I like The Exorcist etc. In general I dislike fantasy as a genre but the LOTR & (to a lesser extent) Hobbit films are good enough for the genre to be quickly forgotten.

I haven't yet watched any of the Amazon series as I hate to watch something, fall in love with it then have to wait a year for the next instalment, so I'll wait until it's wrapped up. Yes, I know I could be in for a long wait. 😂. But Middle Earth is a great place to be for a film fan (obviously excluding those who really dislike fantasy) and there is at least the possibility that this will be a disappointment but the news is still exciting.

Warner Bros Discovery hopes to turn ‘LORD OF THE RINGS’ into a franchise like ‘STAR WARS’.

What an utterly depressing sentiment.

Peter Jackson approached the books with reverence and respect, aiming to adapt the trilogy in a one-off labour of love. Everything since has been corporate sludge and it looks like the higher ups are totally fine with that. I'm not.

The source is “one insider said” 😏 so hopefully not true, if yes then fans backlash will probably make them reconsider their plans

I have seen the future of AVF...

1.png

Nice.

By coincidence I'm knee deep in Middle Earth right now as I'm on a 6 night stretch of the extended editions on 4K UHD; part 2 (Smaug) tonight. Film doesn't get much better; I've another 3 hours of wonder ahead of me.

Terrible. I did my LOTR time at the cinema and bought DVDs.

They should make each one 5 hours and just give you a lethal injection at the start.

Hobbit yourself into the afterlife.

Terrible. I did my LOTR time at the cinema and bought DVDs.

They should make each one 5 hours and just give you a lethal injection at the start.

Hobbit yourself into the afterlife.
The same. I think the humdrum Amazon TV series shows that we won't need more LoTR stories.

Its been less than 25 years since the first ones, and they're still tremendously successful, so why do a remake? From what I've read online, "The Rings of Power" is utterly despised by a lot of the fanbase, and the "Hobbit" films remain fairly divisive as well. But Peter Jackson and all those he worked with poured everything they had into the original "Rings" films, and in my opinion they still hold up extremely well.

... I mean the TV show is not a 'remake' but don't let blatantly not having watched the thing hold you back from criticizing it.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom