1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lord of the rings: Im sorry for what I am about to say

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by stewarthollyhead, Jan 18, 2002.

1. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    get your pickaxes out and get ready to beath the daylights out of me...

I just didnt think it was that good.

1st hours very slow in the set-up often repeating things so that we can get it into to our tiny minds.

Then its walk along - cgi onster - walk along - CGI monster - walk along.

Now I accept that many people have stolen elements of Lord of the RIngs for previoys films. But I think this has had the horrible side affect of making Lord of the Rings look very generic.

As I say, SORRY!

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,470
    well i'm not going to see it at the cinema, or rent it, or buy it.....i'm not even bothered if it passes me by....

3. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll probably get the DVD, but am not bothered with going to the cinema to see it - just not that interested.

4. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I made this point when I went to see it just before Xmas on this, and other forums.

I thought the film was just OK, nothing special at all, and perhaps quite a bit boring....needless to say that I was flamed to hell (not necessarily on this forum). It's only now that the "Non fans" of the work are starting to filter in to the cinema that negative reviews are starting to appear.

I found the "stuttering" nature of the story to be incredibly wearing.

It always amazes me how I could be "wrong" to think this film was a bit pants :rolleyes:

5. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +993
    Personally I reckon there's room for all opinions and I don't like the way zealots really go OTT ripping into people that don't like the same stuff as them (like we've all seen here way too much lately). I mean, I thought the film was good, not great or the best film ever, just "entertaining", and it doesn't bother me at all that there's people out there that don't feel the same about it.

Fair play to you guys that don't like it and say so, and a big booooooooo to the numpties that think that makes you a good target for abuse. A difference of opinion is one thing, but being flamed because you don't have the same views is just pants.

6. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I second that, Rambo. :)

No matter how much you flame somebody who disagrees with you, it'll never change their mind....I just wish ALL fanboys would get it through their thick skulls.

Again - this isn't directed at anyone on this forum...I was flamed for "disagreeing with the genereal consensus on LOTR" on other forums.

People just couldn't see that, as someone with no prior knowledge of the book, going to the flicks to see a film of an afternoon, the film (and especially the non-ending) was a total let-down. Talk of trilogies is nonsense - plenty of trilogies have the first film as a completely self-contained work, not dependent on the next two films to make it suddenly all make sense.

Anyway, rant over :p

7. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thats the problem with trying to do a faithful adaption of a book that has been re-used a number of times and is the basis for pretty much every single fantasy novel since.

Young boy/farmhand/servant/slave etc finds out he is the chosen one. A wise man/wizard/jedi/warrior tells hime he must journey to the dark tower/castle/planet/realm/land/ cave to retrieve a magic sword/helmet/sheild/ and vanquish the dark lord/wizard/evil one. He will have several companions, some of which will probably die. There will also be a stuck up girl who is in fact a princess/heir to the throne, they will hate each other but eventually fall in love. Big battles, good defeats evil, credits.

8. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,190
    Matt

I dont think you could have summed it up any better, it is a faithful adaptation of the book and as such follows the story very closely.

Si

PS. Spoilt the end of the story for me though:D

9. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Any one remember Dungeons and Dragons, the animated series? I watched faithfully every week to see the guys made it home, only for something to go wrong at the last minute to prevent them. This really got my goat but made me count the hours till the next episode. LOTR had no end, enough said. Still they both had a whole lot in common and ok the animation probably borrowed a few ideas, but like stewarthollyhead said we have seen it all before, many times.

10. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +632
    Bottom line is that its simply impossible for a film to be made that EVERYONE likes. Over the years on these types of forums we see different films being slagged off and then defended by others. I have to hold my hands up myself and say that I used to engage in it all myself. I mean I have been slagging off the likes of Armageddon, Enemy at the Gates, etc for a while but I now realise that what one person finds crap another finds brilliant. Thats life. WRT Lord of the Rings, I thought it was an excellent movie but still felt slightly let down as well. I think that this may well be due to the entertainment age we live in with so many hyperbolae getting banded about. From what I had read about LOTR in reviews before I went I think the only likelihood is that you will be disappointed. I have never seen so many quotes printed on a trailer before!! These quotes included - 'The best film in the history of cinema' - now that is a big thing to say about a single film. Maybe it was true for that critic but as we now read others think it wasn't that good!! - Logical? But the one thing that has always baffled me is that those who slag off LOTR will be the 1st out to buy it on DVD simply because it will have probably the best sound and picture quality of any DVD up to its release. Logical??

11. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    No, but very true. Whens the release date then?:p

12. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +632
    Heard August mentioned for a release of LOTR Pt I. Don't know if true or not.