Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition - 28 June

The retorts to all the 'moaning' is equally as repetitive and tiresome. "Why two discs blah blah blah", "Get off your sofa blah blah blah".

To be fair, the thread here is nothing like the one at BRF.

Last edited:
The retorts to all the 'moaning' is equally as repetitive and tiresome. "Why two discs blah blah blah", "Get off your sofa blah blah blah".

I'll take a point of view which is at once similar but opposite.

Whatever they'd have done someone would have complained...so go ahead and complain.

I mean this is a discussion forum.

There are pros and cons to having it on one disc and pros and cons to having it on two, as well as having the supplements on DVD.

So should peiople not voice their opinions? Nah! Let's hear all of those pros and cons!

Then let's see what we get.

Steve W

ps. Personal opinion - I don't mind the films being on two discs, though if they'd put them on one each and ditched the commentaries, that'd have been fine too, though I appreciate others like the commentaries.

I've never accessed a single extra on any of the LOTR SD DVDs and I'm unlikely to start now.

SW

I'll take a point of view which is at once similar but opposite.

Whatever they'd have done someone would have complained...so go ahead and complain.

I mean this is a discussion forum.

There are pros and cons to having it on one disc and pros and cons to having it on two, as well as having the supplements on DVD.

So should peiople not voice their opinions? Nah! Let's hear all of those pros and cons!

Then let's see what we get.

Steve W

ps. Personal opinion - I don't mind the films being on two discs, though if they'd put them on one each and ditched the commentaries, that'd have been fine too, though I appreciate others like the commentaries.

I've never accessed a single extra on any of the LOTR SD DVDs and I'm unlikely to start now.

SW

It probably serves me right for following so many LOTR threads (other forums) because ive actually started noticing people copy and paste the same comments for other forums.

Commentaries take up a fraction of total disc space. Probably around 500MB for each one and that won't help fitting the film on one disc at all. If the films are on one disc the bitrate will be quite a bit less than 20Mbps, how many people will not like that and artefacts will be likely on bigger screens. Each disc will probably be around 40GB (average bitrate will be in mid 30's) so no chance of fitting on a disc without compromise somewhere.

It is unbelievable the ranting about this set on here and most other forums!
People moaned when only the theatricals came out - they demanded the extended movies
They ranted that FOTR looked bad
So even though it had intitally been announced that there would be no extended's until after 'the hobbit' they then listened to the comments, announced the extended movies on Blu, even said not only would they be across two discs for superior pic and sound quality, but they would remaster fOTR
Now people are moaning again!!!
Yes, shipping the same DVDs as in the old sets is a bit cheeky, but at least we get the docs that were in the SE's (which i didn't buy)
No-one can really complain about a brief pause to change a disc on films as long as this?
Christ, my local cinema still has intermissions in long films and I for one like it!

I know people all like things their own way, but this method will mean the film will look and sound BETTER than if squeezed onto one disc
You all had to get up and change the DVDs anyway, did anyone moan then?
Fair enough a flipper on a film less than two hours in the bad old days of DVD was a pain, but ROTK is four hours for god sakes!
I'm happy with the set coming out, I'll wait until later in the year to buy them as I only watch them around Christmas anyway, hopefully they will be a bit cheaper by then.
Hopefully I'll sell on my DVD sets and that will help pay for the DVD extras pricewise
So I for one am very happy that they actually listened to what we wanted and gave us an interim release before the big all singing boxset!
If everyone continues to whine, maybe next time they won't do anything at all!

I think that not getting a Blu Ray that you want is worth moaning about. It doesn't matter what WB have listened to if you are never going to buy the movies. Listening to fans, I never once heard 2 discs mentioned, WB added that themselves. I remember when Blu Ray was first announced everyone was saying that there was no way that the larger 50 gig Blu Ray discs would ever be filled.

Last edited:
Surely they could have just fit all three films on one disc!?! I thought each BR could hold like 50GB on each! Just put all three films on one disc with dolby pro logic and then I will not have to get up off my sofa for about 12 hours, good times!

Obviously, this film causes discussion because for many of us, its "the film" DTS 6.1, film quality, epic story, and repeat viewable for many times.
For me, no, i dont have a problem getting up and changing the disc, however i do feel that this is an unwelcome interruption and that immersion in the film is lost for a while.
Additionally, I and many others, have little or no interest in the extras, and whilst quality is of high importance to almost all of us, i think we had high expectations for the film going to blu ray and having held off the theatrical edition, were looking forward to each film being on one disc, hence when we find out that its not, some of us have to re-evaluate whats important.

I , on a personal level, usually bin all the extra packaging from the special editions and also the extras discs so that all my films sit together uniformly and so that the important to me disc (film disc) is the one that is held by the case which also has the best disc mountings. This system is again almost impossible with this set and i have to throw away an awful lot more. But thats just me.

Last edited:
just me then ;) :D

No, I pretty much agree with you.

Save the shed load of DVD extras condensed onto BDs, I think Warners have done what people wanted - extended versions + upgrade on Fellowship.

Of course, there will be more releases of this that will likely be better, so it's really a case of when the time is right for each individual to bite.

I swerved the theatrical release, so I feel like I've already saved £30 :) I'll wait till the new set hits the £30 mark and I'll pick it up. The swaping of discs bothers not one bit :)

I just hope they're sensitive as to where they put the breaks.

Steve W

I would assume in the exact same spots as the DVD versions. They were decent enough places i guess, especially with regards to FotR- that was a perfect spot for it to be.

just me then ;) :D

Nope, I think it's all pretty amusing. Look at the majority of the negative posts here and they're about the extras rather than the films themselves.

I'm a huge LOTR fan and have exhausted everything on the 6 extra discs from the extended releases. I'll never watch them again. When I get this new set, I'll bung on the "making-of" docos from the SEs, put them away and promptly forget about them.

I think it's great we're getting these films in HD now rather than post-Hobbit "at some point". Will I be able to wait until the price falls? Possibly not - aren't these "Limited Editions" after all?

Surely they could have just fit all three films on one disc!?! I thought each BR could hold like 50GB on each! Just put all three films on one disc with dolby pro logic and then I will not have to get up off my sofa for about 12 hours, good times!
Due to the lack of a smilie I can't tell whether you're being sarcastic or not, but you're getting a :laugh: and a :thumbsup: regardless.

Due to the lack of a smilie I can't tell whether you're being sarcastic or not, but you're getting a :laugh: and a :thumbsup: regardless.

:D

Hell if they could do that, lets just remove the credits between them and make it one big 12 hour movie! :smashin:

I bet they couldn't even squeeze the 9 DVDs of extras onto the one BD, along with all 3 movies if they tried really hard:rotfl:

Don't forget that the studios' will have us triple dipping when the multi layer blu's reach the shops.

It's inevitable.;)

I'm in !
Sold my EE DVD's and pre ordered this from Zavvi with a 15% Discount making it £42.46 which works out at £14.15 a film.
To me that is a reasonable price to pay for these classic epic films in HD glory.
Like others have said, the distributors have answered the Fellowship transfer issue which was my only concern but would have purchased regardless due to holding off and waiting for the EE's over the theatrical.
Not fussed about the extras being on DVDs it's only extras.
Can't wait !

I'm in !
Sold my EE DVD's and pre ordered this from Zavvi with a 15% Discount making it £42.46 which works out at £14.15 a film.
To me that is a reasonable price to pay for these classic epic films in HD glory.
Like others have said, the distributors have answered the Fellowship transfer issue which was my only concern but would have purchased regardless due to holding off and waiting for the EE's over the theatrical.
Not fussed about the extras being on DVDs it's only extras.
Can't wait !

how you gettting 15% discount i can only muster 10%

15.....FIFTEEN Discs In a massive cardboard carton?

This is vestige of the DVD generation and New Line should update their thinking.

In these years of on-demand, streaming, downloads and managed copies this isn't convenience, and minimalising the footprint of the product something the blu-ray brand should pushing? We aren't impressed with "MOAR DISCS MOAR VALUEEE!!!!" any more.

Small packaging, more layers and less discs. We don't want wheelbarrow full of behind the scenes DVD's thrown in that could fit in one or maybe two blu-ray discs. (I have no problem with them being SD)

A standard 50GB blu holds 23 hours of SD material, that means you can squeeze these 9 dvd's onto practically 1 blu. 2 at the most.

It's really not rocket science, it's just a company inconveniencing people because they are either cheaping out or have left over dvd extras discs.

As for the movies themselves being on 2 discs, I'm less annoyed but still surprised. Are we really out of space already? Is this exactly the same problem as Titanic and LOTR:E faced on DVD, but this time in HD?

Does blu-ray really not scale more than DVD? Are extra layers still the same cost problem they were with DVD?. I remember getting excited about Blu when I first heard of it. "Imagine getting a Season of TV on one or two discs" This kind of talk was thrown around, maybe I'm a fool for believing it. I remember HATING HD-DVD for the small space upgrade over DVD thinking "they would still have to use 2 discs for the likes of LOTR:E, I don't think that's a future disc format I can get behind."

What a disappointment. This box set should be a flagship blue-ray product. Again, it's more the overall product not being minimal, than the 2 discs per film thing.

It's quite possible that the films are being spread over 2 discs because of the complaints about PQ on the TE release.

A higher bitrate doesn't always mean a better picture - not in a way you would see under normal viewing.

But if Warner/New line had put this on one disc, and Part 1 still looked not quite so good, then people would say they were being shafted.

As it is, putting the films on 2 discs says "Hey! We really care about quality!" If the PQ looks similar to the TEs then people will accept that Warner had tried their best (even if they haven't), whilst if the films were put on 1 disc people would be complaining that the films could look better, even if they couldn't.

For me, I'll just wait and see.

Steve W

15.....FIFTEEN Discs In a massive cardboard carton?

This is vestige of the DVD generation and New Line should update their thinking.

In these years of on-demand, streaming, downloads and managed copies this isn't convenience, and minimalising the footprint of the product something the blu-ray brand should pushing? We aren't impressed with "MOAR DISCS MOAR VALUEEE!!!!" any more.

Small packaging, more layers and less discs. We don't want wheelbarrow full of behind the scenes DVD's thrown in that could fit in one or maybe two blu-ray discs. (I have no problem with them being SD)

A standard 50GB blu holds 23 hours of SD material, that means you can squeeze these 9 dvd's onto practically 1 blu. 2 at the most.

Oh I agree with you. I'm annoyed actually at having DVDs with this set when we could have had 9 BDs instead with slimmer packaging. (And what's the betting that the DVDs end up suffering from the dreaded disc rot long before the BDs do?)

I suspect there are two reasons for including the DVDs:

1. It means less work as the extras discs can be taken straight from the Extended DVD release; and
2. It means Warner/New Line can charge a higher price because less knowledgeable people will think they're getting more for their cash. :facepalm:

P.S. Do you think this Extended BD boxset will be thicker than the three Extended DVD editions as the latter came in quite thick "tome" style cases?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom