Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition - 28 June

Johnny Dee

Geoff_D said:
You're right JD, the PS3 doesn't upscale SD material on Blu-ray. I don't know why that's a big concern with the LOTR flicks though, because camcordered SD on-set footage upscaled will still look like camcordered SD on-set footage.

Might look slightly better though, no?

Indiana Jones

Johnny Dee said:
I know it upscales DVDs but it doesn't upscale SD material on a blu ray disc, unless I'm missing something?

Pretty sure it does now, I remember watching the extras on the BTTF BDs a few months ago and the older ones played back in 1080p.

Johnny Dee

Indiana Jones said:
Pretty sure it does now, I remember watching the extras on the BTTF BDs a few months ago and the older ones played back in 1080p.

Just had a look at the bonus features on Batman Begins blu ray, still comes up as 480p. Maybe the BTTF features were done in HD? I'll check my copy tomorrow.

Geoff_D

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I think some of the BTTF extras were upgraded to faux HD. Edit: Nope. The new 'tales from the future' featurettes and the deleted scenes are in HD, but that's about it.

Last edited:

jdevil

Distinguished Member
Some films upscale their extras to 1080i even though they are SD material, films likes Spider-man 3 blu ray disc did this.

Doctor Hades

I think it is down to the player whether non-HD extras are upscaled or not.

For example, when I watched BD extras on my PS3 they were output at 480p (so the TV does the upscaling to 1920x1200) whereas on my Sony BD players with the same movies they were 1080/50p or 1080/60p, i.e. the player itself upscales the extras rather than TV.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom