Lord of the rings - choosing dts-hd ma over dolby truehd

Nirajbuk

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi there

I've recently started watching the latest 4k uhd lord of the rings releaae on my PS5.

What i wanted to ask is if its possible to choose dts-hd ma over dolby true hd? The go-to audio output seems to be true hd but i much prefer dts-hd ma.

Ive set my ps5 to dts as priority but for some reason true hd is still being output.

Any help would be appreciated.

The UHDs have Atmos which also holds a TrueHD track so that is the only lossless option available, the discs go not include a DTS-HD MA track.

After double checking the back of the box It does have the dts soundtrack but it seems as though is only offered with other languages.

I'm assuming I'm reading this correctly?

Attachments

• 20201231_121718.jpg
    20201231_121718.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 387
After double checking the back of the box It does have the dts soundtrack but it seems as though is only offered with other languages.

Yeah that looks to be other languages only to me.

Correct, the only English option is the Atmos/TrueHD track.

Thanks all! Suppose i should have read it properly!
Back of the box can also get the information wrong.
The obvious & simple way is to just to go to the sound options on the disc, & just see what tracks are available.
If DTS-Ma English is there, it’s there. If it’s not, it’s not etc

The audio menus on the disc dont stipulate whether its dts-hd ma or true dolby, it just states the language and thats it from an audio perspective...

I wish it was that easy.

As both Dolby True HD and DTS MA are lossless multichannel formats assuming you can decode both I can't think of a single reason to care which it has. They should both sound identical.

Erm not really the case as their bit rates can differ and in some instances you can tell the difference, i know i can.

Give this a read pal.

Erm not really the case as their bit rates can differ and in some instances you can tell the difference, i know i can.

Give this a read pal.

the conclusion to the article marks them out as a draw.

Not sure what you were trying to prove with your comment?

There isn’t a huge difference between Dolby and DTS when they’re in a lossless format. Most of the difference you can hear will be in the audio recording and not the format being used.

I can give a number of reference tracks in both formats, likewise I can give dud ones in both as well.

That article is mainly about different types and data rates of the lossy versions of Dolby and DTS. Obviously if you are mixing bit rates and Dolby Digital, DD+, the original DTS standard, DTS High Resolution etc. then you can find differences.

However, in the case of DTS Master Audio and Dolby True HD they are both lossless format. In other words, what you put in - you get out. From a technical standpoint there should be no difference whatsoever between the two - what comes out should be the same as what the encoder took in.

Which studios use which is down more to licensing agreements and sometimes inter-studio politics. There shouldn't really be any difference to the end user. If differences are heard that should be more down to the choice of who mastered it in terms of what was encoded than the codec. If you are hearing differences (which isn't easy as there are few direct comparisons out there) then something is wrong.

I remmeber WALL-E DTS being far superior to the Atmos soundtrack so it does go around in circles really. Similarly vice versa... some awesome Atmos mixes which are muted in DTS.

I remmeber WALL-E DTS being far superior to the Atmos soundtrack so it does go around in circles really. Similarly vice versa... some awesome Atmos mixes which are muted in DTS.

I think, somewhere in the garage, I have some MPEG multi-channel DVDs if we want to throw something else into the mix. :)

(MPEG Multichannel was meant to be the standard European multichannel format for DVD until people realised no one else wanted or supported it and they ended up using Dolby Digital anyway).

The audio menus on the disc dont stipulate whether its dts-hd ma or true dolby, it just states the language and thats it from an audio perspective...

I wish it was that easy.
Just press the info/display button on the player during playback & it’ll show what codec is being used for the selected audio track.
You can even cycle through the available audio tracks on the fly (audio button on player) during this so you can see what codec is used for every available audio track on the disc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom