1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loosing the plot ???

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jameson_uk, Jan 18, 2005.

1. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I have for many months had a good idea about what I was doing with my HTPC box but as it is just about built, I am not sure what the best things to do are:

I want to get everything to play together but I have
    old 29" Sony CRT TV
    Telewest cable box
    PC w/ DVD drive and PVR250
    Denon AVR2803 Receiver

I guess in an ideal world, I would have the RGB output from the cable box into the PC for hardware encoding and then out as RGB to the TV Scart. This however appears not to be possible so that I can output not just mpeg but a front end for MP3 / Pics etc.

I currently take the RGB out from the cablebox and run it through a £30 S-Video converter from Maplins to plug this into the PC. I then use S-Video out from the PC to connect to the TV. This works but I am begining to think that converting the signal from RGB to S-Video is problably making the signal the same quality as the standard composite output from the cable box ?? Is there a better way to connect the stb to the pc but still get hardware encoding ??

I also have a problem as I can't change channel on the telewest box. I was looking at the red eye remote but this seems a bit fiddly ??

Finally I am not happy with the quality of the TV out from my radeon 9200. I have read the threads about a VGA to RGB Scart cable and am considering this but don't really have the time to build it (anyone know if you can get one of these ready built on the net ??). Is this going to be a noticeable improvement or is this a lot of hassle for a little improvement ??

I have searched the forums but there is so much info that it is all starting to blur in my mind. What is the best solution to connecting up the above (other than getting a plasma screen :D )

TIA

2. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I would like to be able to have a freeview input too (other than getting a STB and another IR blaster, can't see how I could get this and hardware encoding)

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What do you mean 'hardware encoding'? Encoding into what?

A Sweetspot will happily take RGBs from an STB (I used one with NTL).

Taking RGB instead of S-Video from the 9200 will improve PQ quite a bit but whether your TV would do it justice I couldn't say.

4. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    into MPEG2 (i.e. the PVR-250 encodes the incoming signal meaning lower load on CPU and hence lower temps)

I am a little confused about the sweetspot. It allows you to take input from RGB but then what ?? what happens if you want to do timeshifting or record programs ??

I suppose for the cost it is probably worth it anyway.

Thanks

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Check out Sweetspot's web site, www.pluggedin.tv, they sell Shos Shifter so I assume it works with that.

I don't really see CPU loading a big issue simply watching video, either live or recorded, except when doing massive post-processing.

The 6600 range of cards from nVidia has on-board MPEG encoding support but there's no software yet, nVidia have said the first application to support it will be MCE2005.

6. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Will do

it is the actual recording process where CPU loading becomes an issue. With an old PIII I had, I could not actually get it to record a program in MPEG2 via software as it could not keep up with the incoming signal.

Looks interesting, will have a look

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay, I understand about recording .. I don't do that, except for the time when I 'ripped' my VHS collection and that didn't require any great processor power.