Loose front section on Canon 70-300IS Lens

daveb975

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just received the above lens.

The front section (from the focussing ring forward) is quite loose. I have not been able to try it on my camera yet to check it works.

Could anyone who has got this lens confirm if theirs is the same?

Pretty difficult to understand exactly what you mean but my focus ring (and thus everything in front of it) rotates by about 1mm (1/2mm clockwise, 1/2mm anti-clockwise). There is also a tiny amount of sideways movement.

Obviously with the lens in MF there is lot of movement when focusing.

I believe it's termed as 'end float' so might be worth a google to check if this is a known issue or a flaw in this particular lense.

Pretty difficult to understand exactly what you mean but my focus ring (and thus everything in front of it) rotates by about 1mm (1/2mm clockwise, 1/2mm anti-clockwise). There is also a tiny amount of sideways movement.

Obviously with the lens in MF there is lot of movement when focusing.

Thanks. It is hard to describe it properly. My focus ring rotates by about 1mm in AF as well, but if you hold the front and back sections of the lens at the same time, there is quite a lot of sideways movement. This makes the lens feel as though it is not very solid.

I seem to remember that the copy that I tried in a shop a while ago seemed quite solid, with no noticeable sideways movement.

Having tried it on the camera, it appears to work just fine, so I will test it for a while and see it is ok.

The IS motor is really loud on this lens compared to my 17-85IS, though!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom