• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Loose front section on Canon 70-300IS Lens

daveb975

Distinguished Member
I have just received the above lens.

The front section (from the focussing ring forward) is quite loose. I have not been able to try it on my camera yet to check it works.

Could anyone who has got this lens confirm if theirs is the same?

allymac123

Prominent Member
Pretty difficult to understand exactly what you mean but my focus ring (and thus everything in front of it) rotates by about 1mm (1/2mm clockwise, 1/2mm anti-clockwise). There is also a tiny amount of sideways movement.

Obviously with the lens in MF there is lot of movement when focusing.

daveb975

Distinguished Member
Pretty difficult to understand exactly what you mean but my focus ring (and thus everything in front of it) rotates by about 1mm (1/2mm clockwise, 1/2mm anti-clockwise). There is also a tiny amount of sideways movement.

Obviously with the lens in MF there is lot of movement when focusing.

Thanks. It is hard to describe it properly. My focus ring rotates by about 1mm in AF as well, but if you hold the front and back sections of the lens at the same time, there is quite a lot of sideways movement. This makes the lens feel as though it is not very solid.

I seem to remember that the copy that I tried in a shop a while ago seemed quite solid, with no noticeable sideways movement.

daveb975

Distinguished Member
Having tried it on the camera, it appears to work just fine, so I will test it for a while and see it is ok.

The IS motor is really loud on this lens compared to my 17-85IS, though!

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom