Looney Tunes R2 4 Disc set at HMV?

Darth_Fisto

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if the Looney Tunes R2 4 Disc set exclusive to HMV is the same as the R1 Golden Selection boxset.

If so I would love to get it :D

Well it looks identical to my set, but is that the official packaging for UK ? and there's no other information to suggest otherwise that it's not an import. Do HMV sell import R1 DVDs?

If you look carefully at the illustration on the HMV website, you will see that the cover bears a BBFC "U" certificate, which would indicate R2.

The loony tunes box set at hmv is uk a release and is exclusive to hmv for 6 months from what i've been told by them. Still looks a good deal to me:)

The R2 is a bit pricey (as usual). Only cost me around £19 on R1.

But because they are fullscreen I would rather get them in PAL.
I will go to HMV next week to see how much it is instore. As I have an NUS card I will get 10% off anyway :D

Cheers :)

Just found a "spend more than £35 and get £5 off" voucher, think I know what I will spend it on :)

let me know if there is the proper bugs bunny 1980's etc.. as i bought this bugs bunny dvd and im sure it was all the pre war cartoons :D

Just checked HMV and it is now £34.99 instead of £39.99, guess I will have to find something else to use my £5 voucher on.

According to the spec on HMV's website, the excellent documentary "Camera Three: The Boys From Termite Terrace" which is spread over discs 1 and 2 on the US version appears to be missing.

Maybe they just left it off the spec, only way to find out for sure will be once someone has bought it.

Well, I'll be getting it next week, hopefully ;)

HI,

A review has appeared in the latest edition of "DVD Review" magazine.

The 4-disc set contains:
- Best Of Bugs Bunny
- Best Of Daffy Duck/Porky Pig
- Best Of Looney Toons (Volume 1), and
- Best Of Looney Tunes (Volume 2).

The two "Best Of..." volumes, are being released in the UK, seperately, as well. The other two, are - for the time being at least - exclusively to HMV.

Alas, the bad news, is that several of the better animated shorts are being omitted from all UK DVD's, for no apparent reason. Some may be for censorship purposes (which would possibly raise the disc from a U certificate to a 12, because of potential racial characterisations). Others, maybe being withheld due to rights issues.

As such, if you want the de-facto Warner Bros Looney Toons collection set, which contains everything that should be on the set, import the 4-disc edition from the USA instead!

Also, it'll be uncut, and probably cheaper too!

Pooch

****!

I wanted the R2, but I'm now tempted to go for the R1.

Decisions decisions...

Well worth going for Region 1. Not only do you get it uncut, but the supplementary materials are excellent - not the usual disposable featurettes.

let me know if there is the proper bugs bunny 1980's etc.. as i bought this bugs bunny dvd and im sure it was all the pre war cartoons :D

Proper Bugs Bunny - 1980s? :eek: I think a lot of Looney Tunes afficianados would disagree Zoidy.

Hi,

Just seen the set in HMV: it'll set you back £37-99 in stores!

Buy the R1 edition!

Pooch

It was £34.99 in my local HMV. So with my 10% discount I can get it for £31.49 :D

But I'm still undecided. I think I'll just get the R2 though, because my parents love Looney Tunes but they don't have a multi-region player.

Anyway, I'll need to make my decision this week, because HMV always put their prices up after one week!

Dont know how much it is at my local HMV but if it is £37.99 I could use my £5 off voucher and get it for £32.99, but still undecided on whether to get it.

Can anyone tell me where I could get the Region 1 version cheapest? It seems that CDWOW no longer sell this.

Originally posted by PoochJD
HI,

Alas, the bad news, is that several of the better animated shorts are being omitted from all UK DVD's, for no apparent reason. Some may be for censorship purposes (which would possibly raise the disc from a U certificate to a 12, because of potential racial characterisations). Others, maybe being withheld due to rights issues.
Pooch

I have the HMV LTGC and all identical shorts to the R1. The boys from termite terrace part 1 & 2 (56mins) and Irreverent Imagination: The Golden Age Of Looney Tunes (50mins) extras are not on the R2 :(

Hi Paul,

You said: "I have the HMV LTGC and all identical shorts to the R1. The boys from termite terrace part 1 & 2 (56mins) and Irreverent Imagination: The Golden Age Of Looney Tunes (50mins) extras are not on the R2."

In other words, it's not identical to the R1 edition, is it?! :rotfl:

Pooch

PoochJD,

Yes it not identical to the R1 as for the extras but i was pointing out that all the animated shorts are the same to the R1 and that the doc's extras are not on the r2. At the back of the outer sleeve of the LTGC R2 exclusive from HMV, Warner bros UK has labelled the packaging incorrectly as stating that on the discs they have the doc's and schematics and all being in widescreen and DD5.1 which is wrong.

I am not happy at the misleading packaging and I phoned them!

I have the R1 version. Some of the docs contain complete short cartoons. Perhaps this is what Pooch meant when he said some of the shorts were missing.

Ah ! I was thinking that PoochJD was talking about the actual 56 shorts

So has anyone got the R2? Does it have the boys from termite terrace documentary? Is there anything else different about it?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom