1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looney Tunes Back In action R1 Review

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,190
    [​IMG]

Richard Hardbattle reviews the recent release of Looney Tunes Back In action on R1 DVD.

Read the review Here

[​IMG]

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard,
    this post is written with all due respect to you...however, I find your "reviews" a little more critical than anybody else's on the review team. And to be honest, there dosen't seem to have been that much effort put into this particular review.

I had to go back to the Schindlers list review to make sure the same person had written them both, and sure enough, you wrote that one too...

Are you writing the "reviews" to cause contraversy? It's a serious question...of course we don't expect "this was an awesome film" on every review...but is ther any film you DO like?

I applied for the job of DVD reviewer but backed out because I didn't want to spend my whole movie viewing time trying to pick holes in things I love and then write pages and pages about it.
    It seems I could have done it after all because it seems a 3 line explanation of how the film sounds filled with a still will suffice...

Maybe it's not you...maybe it's because DVD in general has hit it's benchmark. Honestly, can anyone remember a DVD release of a new movie (not a re-release or release of an old movie, but a fresh first time release) that actually looked or sounded bad enough to ctiticise it? Maybe it's time to stop reviewing discs because they are all the same and stert to spend more time on the actual content - movie & extra's...just maybe...

Apologies if I've offended anyone here BTW - wasn't my intention...I know these guys do it in their spare time and for free(ish)...respect due...

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,190
    Can I just point out that reviewers do it for Nothing!!! They get to keep the occasional disc, hardly payment for the hours it takes to put a review together. I welcome constructive critism, but as you are already aware you can't do it Bri I am surprised you felt the need to be so critical of someone elses efforts.

4. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know thay do it for nothing Phil - hence my comment in the original post. What I am criticising, if you could use that word, is the fact the picture and sound paragraphs on most discs are starting to sound very samey. I was pointing out that this particular reviewer has now tore 2 films to pieces - one that has gone down in cinema history. (Schindlers List in case anybody missed it) However, that particular review was well criricised and not one comment made...the reviewer even had a chance to defend himself.

The point I was trying to make was this - DVD's have reached a benchmark. If you get one with bad sound or picture these days, it's probably because it was mastered from a dodgy print...however, even those are looking good these days (Italian Job 1969 anyone?). Maybe it's time now to start missing those parts of the review out (unless of course they are that bad and need a mention...) and spend the 8 lines in total spent on them on the movie or discs...

5. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,190
    We take pride on the technical aspects of our reviews, Richard is a new reviewer and it takes time to get into a flow off what is required. However a reviewers opinion on a film is just that, and if they dislike a film I am not going to edit their review to keep film companies or suppliers happy. Richard is entitled to his opinion and i will always print our reviewers opinions even if I don't agree. Richard did make his points in the Schindlers thread and stood by them.
    I dont think DVD's have reached a bench mark either, infact one which stands out is Matt's review of Master and Commander, every other sites reviews I have read have missed glaring problems with the transfer, some claiming it is outstanding and reference quality. What you have to take into account is that we all watch our review discs on front projection systems that are properly calibrated with mid to high level sound systems (Some are the same THX PM3 speaker systems used to master and dub the films during production), this means we are watching the discs on near reference systems (well as much as we can afford) and can spot the differences between picture and sound formats. We will very shortly be publishing our own take on things like edge enhancement etc as well as each reviewers systems so people know what the discs were reviewed on and what they should be looking for, this will hopefully include comments from industry insiders. Now compare that to other sites (not all, HTF comes to mind) review discs on 28"/32" w/s sets and run of the mill systems only, we put the discs through small systems like this but also through big screens and systems and i think this is where our reviews stand out.
    I actually think people reading reviews don't even look at the film parts, so i think three paragraphs maximum is about right.