Looks like the X-box has been cracked

Why follow that up with a pathetic Personal Message? 7 year olds shouldn't be allowed near the internet.........

I think the moderators need to keep an eye on this. Opinion is one thing but taking the p155 is entirely something else. Everyone is entiteld to an opinion but it doesn't have to be confrontational just because you don't agree with someones point of view. Taking umbrage at every little thing that you don't agree with will just perpetuate the situation and you'll spend a lot of time digging a big hole for yourself and boring the rest of us silly.

Accept that everone has differing views and get on with your life.

Originally posted by savage
so it is only a forum for you 2 only . oh you should`ve said .

A pair of old women living in the past who think their opinions count more than anyones .

oh what a shame they made scalextrics into a figure 8 rather than a circle.
oh john its so sad oh alan what a shame .

:D :D :D

Calm down m8y :D

I don't mind who joins in. That's the whole point of expressing your views on this forum, but you have to be a little kinder with the comments. You might hurt someones feelings :(

Say what you want about old games, but the truth is there were some classics back then that have been done to death now.
It's nice to remember were they all came from and it's even better being able to remember the day you first saw an FPS or played Pacman at the arcades.

You might be a young thing, but don't knock us old timers. If it wasn't for the likes of John and myself then there wouldn't be a games industry.

Say what you want, but try and be a little more plesent in future. Or remember and use the :D :p ;) to show your just having a laugh (as I did in my reply to you entering the thread :) )

I`m definetly not a young thing :D

as i said i have had most consules inc spectrum and i was actually agreeing with you when at first you said about the new games being not to bad you said monkey ball but youve now changed your mind .

And i commented that I think you see things through rose glasses .

And the only point i made was that there are great new games about .
but for some reason you have now changed your mind after me getting some comments .
I then took your friends comments about him being a true gamer becuse he had a spectrum as insultion to many people i know .

games are much more polished now some with great gameplay like Monkeyball as YOU said

:D
Stick to your convictions m8
:D
enough grins ?:D

Got MAME on my PC and love playing the old arcade games
But I have to disagree about gaming now.

Having just played Super Monkey Ball (SMB) on the GC I can tell you that top quailty game play is still here.
ALANROB

Say what you want about old games, but the truth is there were some classics back then that have been done to death now.
It's nice to remember were they all came from and it's even better being able to remember the day you first saw an FPS or played Pacman at the arcades.
ALANROB

How many opinions do you want ????
:D :D :D

What point are you trying to prove here m8?
That I can find more classic gaming games from year gone by than I can find now?

I have given one game from now that I think lives up to the addage of gameplay over everything else (SMB) so you now think I'm contradicting myself ?????

You have lost the plot m8. Either that or you just haven't read everything. It's easy to take a few lines from a couple of post and make it sound like I'm going back on what I said earlier, but I've stuck to my guns in saying that there are less classic games from a gameplay point of view now than there was when the old 8 bit computers were around.

Alan,

I second that. Today they go for GFX on jazzed up variations of old classic games and sacrifice the gameplay for Eye and Ear Candy.

Kev

ok then i`ll agree with you guys everything in the past was great and there is only 1 good game out now and since the spectrum.

<both feet>
As an old git who has owned almost every console or home computer since about 1982 I think the point that was being made was wayy back when sprites were all the rage, you had no chance of even vaguely realistic gfx so game play was paramount.

Then CGA gave way to EGA and to VGA, master system gave way to mega drive etc etc and gamers got more demanding and somewhere along the line gameplay tended to suffer. Case in point - look at the amount of PS1 games that exist and compare it to a list of N64 games. Less can be more sometimes......but market forces dictate that "he who has the most polygons wins"

At the risk of sounding like redeye (columist for edge) - can we not have both?

</both feet>

Ok, so anyone in East London fancy networked Halo?

PS - its now not a format war, its all about quality of games
PPS - I play mame more often than any console/pc game.

BeerChug.gif

Originally posted by savage
I cant help thinking we sometimes look at the past with rose tinted glasses ....

That is kinda true. There were some great games on my Amstrad CPC 464, but there were a lot of wrotten tricks. I suppose these tricks were used to make up for the lack of space/memory.

Repeat levels:
Ghosts and Goblins (I found this with a cheat). After doing level 3, level 4 is level 1, level 5 is level 2, level 6 is level 3 and so on. Quite a few games did this. Also those games that were too frustrating. Playing several levels and having to go all the way back (ok continues made up for this and i'm not saying everything needs saves). I usually use saves as such moments as to make it sufficiently hard for myself.

All that said, anyone know if I can get a windows version of Rainbow Islands ?

Good point.

Playing some old old games I am constantly struck by how incredibly difficult some of them are! If a new game came out for a console these days, and it took you 2 weeks of straight playing just to get to the 3rd level, people would avoid it like the plague. But there are tons of old games that are just like this.

i understand all these aspects about gameplay, but doesnt games fall under a certain set of genres anyway:
beatemup
shootemup
sportsim
fantasy/roleplay.
etc

the point im trying to make is that when games first came out, they were usually the first in that genre. They set the wayforward, the only real thing thats changed is as stated graphics getting better. sure more genres are bieng introduced and this also is setting standards.

I think gameplay is hard to define in a genre, we all have great lists of games which excel in gameplay, and these have got better as technology progresses. i know the limit is the imagination, but until someone invents the true immersion factor and the endless possibility factor in games (im thinking exiztence) then we are forced down the genres with gameplay good or bad with eventual result.

Which raises the question of is that what games are played for anyway - ie -- i must beat this to an end.....

What i do object to is poor implementations of games based on movie licences. Its a revenue spinner, and i think that people are wising up to these and buying them less.

Originally posted by brattle
Piracy may be rife, but that doesn't make piracy a good thing.

IMHO, piracy is definitely a good thing, but only if it forces down the prices of games to a level that is acceptable in the UK market.

Don't forget, the majority of gamers are teenage or younger and they demand the latest games as soon as they are released. Hard working, or unemployed, parents then have to foot the bill for these games. I know I couldn't afford to by games at the current prices (see the "Biggest Rip-off" thread in the General forum for reasons why this is) and both my wife and I have pretty good jobs with a fairly good income.

Yet, when we see programmes or articles about games developers, they are all living the high life, driving Porsches, Ferraris, Jags etc and with huge personal incomes.

This is the REAL reason for expensive games price tags.

As for the "no profit on hardware" comment, it was an industry in-joke a few years ago that Sony purposely made the PS console easy to crack, so games would be copied and made available at next to nothing, therefore ensuring massive sales of the PS console. And it looks like the PS2 is much the same.

I agree that the best way to reduce piracy would be cheaper games, but the justifcations for this you've mention for are complete rollocks

Developers all riding around in sports cars? Utter nonsense. Those days are long gone except for the tiny minority of 'celebrity' programmers. It's bad bad times for most developers these days, they're going out of business left right and centre right now.

Whatever you say, the vast majority of the profit that a hardware manufacturer makes is on the software sales. Sony get about £8-10 for every copy of each PS2 that gets duplicated, whether it sells or not. It's a licensing fee the publisher has to pay to Sony.

A better way to get prices to come down would be to ask the retailers to reduce their margins. Electronics Boutique take about £14 per copy, just for sticking a PS2 game on the shelf.

Originally posted by John Jennings

Developers all riding around in sports cars? Utter nonsense.

As I said:

Yet, when we see programmes or articles about games developers, they are all living the high life, driving Porsches, Ferraris, Jags etc and with huge personal incomes.

Did I mention the ones we don't see or hear about?

Regardless of what your opinion is, I'm entitled to mine. And I firmly believe that keeping MD's of major software houses in "the style to which they are accustomed" goes a hell of along way to explaining software prices in this country. Do you honestly think that the "£8-10 for every copy of each PS2 that gets duplicated" that goes to Sony is not passed on to the consumer?

Look at the US. Software prices there are at least a third cheaper than in the UK and they have nowhere near the piracy level in this country. Cheaper prices is the only thing which will finally defeat piracy. In the meantime, fair play to the underdog.

Originally posted by michaelm
Look at the US. Software prices there are at least a third cheaper than in the UK and they have nowhere near the piracy level in this country. Cheaper prices is the only thing which will finally defeat piracy. In the meantime, fair play to the underdog.

Sorry to inform you, but piracy is a bigger problem in the USA than it'll ever be here.

It doesn't seem to matter how cheap something is to the hardcore pirates - I've seen DIVX rips of DVD's that are available for less than $7. Also CD's are constantly ripped and posted all over the web even though you can get them on the web for around $12.

There will always be piracy no matter how cheap something gets.

People seem to forget that games are a business and if you look at games like FFX on the ps2 or any other blockbuster game the development costs run into the tens of millions retailers have to make money as well as publishers , distributors, developers the tax man and the marketing men Etc. ETc. ETC. by the time the game gets onto the shelf that £35 - £45 has been well and truly earned piracy and the pricing of products do not have any relation the old adage that if games were cheeper I would buy them is utter B*****KS even games like CHU CHU Rocket on the DC were pirated dispite being FREE.

Everyone want something for nothing Those of us who work in this industry or any industry blighted by piracy cannot condone theft because when we get down to the nitty gritty thats what it is and while the situation is not at that critical stage yet allready many people are out of work because there software houses have gone down the pan.

I agree with being able to mod your machine in order to play import software but too often that is not the case if you mod your machine then surely any issue with pricing is gone you can get the product on import but how many will do that when they can copy or buy it from the car boot for 10% of the cost greed is greed no matter which way you try to justify it.

wow sorry about that but it had too be said

Jimmy jimmy O

Come on people PIRACY IS BAD.
I have to admit to having a super wild card for my snes a doctor 64 for my N64 getting my ps1 and ps2 chipped buying copied games for my DC and ps1 and ps2.
I do not own any of the above anymore.

The main thing for me was it took the enjoyment out of gaming.
I knew I could get any game I wanted as soon as it became available in the states or Japan.
So I lost that feeling you get when the release date of a game becomes closer and closer then going to your local game shop and handing over your hard earned cash.
Like I am feeling now about moto GP enclave and gp4 on Xbox,Zelda mario metroid and so on on GC.

When I buy a console and have say 4 original games I will play them all and complete them then trade them.
I ended up with over 100 games on ps2 but did not play any you just do not know what to play.

I have owned every computer and console ever released and have to say Manic Miner is still one of my favorite games ever.
Gaming is better graphicaly and sonically but has not moved on at all gameplay wise and to be honest I cannot see how it can.

I am saddened to see the Xbox has been cracked but I will never go down the pirate game root again.
Obviously the games will never come down in price as long as there are people willing to buy copied games.

All it is doing is harming games developers and causing some to fold.

THINK BEFORE YOU BUY.

All the above is just my take on things

Wise words spoken by all ;)
Don't you think it would have helped the normal gamer if all these consoles didn't have region codes and could play PAL or NTSC games without having to be modded?

The console makers bring piracy on themselfs with this policy of having regions on their hardware/software.
Just how many people would buy a mod chip for any console if they could buy games from anywhere in the world to play on their unmodded console?

Alanrob

Very good point indeed mate I have never thought of it that way.

Happy Gaming:D

It is indeed. Probably because the PAL/NTSC region thing cannot be used as an excuse for splitting Gameboy software into regions.

RDB :)

Originally posted by alanrob
The console makers bring piracy on themselfs with this policy of having regions on their hardware/software.
Just how many people would buy a mod chip for any console if they could buy games from anywhere in the world to play on their unmodded console?

Just as a quick note, not deliberatly trying to defend them, but Microsoft have placed no requirement on software having to be region encoded. The option is there because the software makers wanted it, but Microsoft has also given them the option to make games region free if they want. It isnt a requirement of the machine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom