Looks like my PC has died only had it 4 months :(

tony kop77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am gutted as I just bought the new Bioshock game and decided to play Tomb Raider while it was downloading. I was literally only playing it a few minutes when the game froze made a continuous beep noise and only thing I could do was press the restart button on the PC.
My PC keeps trying to boot up but after a second or 2 it turns off then tries to reboot again. My PC monitor wont come on as there is no signal but graphics card lights up as normal and fans come on as normal.

My graphics card has not been overclocked but my CPU has. I bought it from overclockers and they overclocked it for me saying if they over clock it the warranty is not effected as it will be with them. I just thought you guys might help with what the problem could be.

Remove the cmos battery. Should set your system back to default.

Sounds like a motherboard or CPU problem.

Probably worth resetting the BIOS to start with, if it has been overclocked.

Your motherboard manual will tell you how to do this, normally have to just remove the CMOS battery or change a jumper. If it is still not booting and your warranty with overclockers is good, probably best to just contact them and return it for repair. They may not like it, if you have been stripping parts out and testing them, they could even say you caused the problem.

How could they tell if all he has done is pull the CMOS battery out or used the JBAT jumper?

How could they tell if all he has done is pull the CMOS battery out or used the JBAT jumper?

Think he means the overclocking or if he's been fiddling with other bits. Or "stripping parts out and testing them" to try fix the error himself.

Overclockers uk are the ones telling me to take battery out of the motherboard etc. I was told take the battery out of the motherboard as it may be an over clock error take the battery out for 10 minutes then ring back for the over clock settings as they need to be reset again well one said they will be reset another said they should be stored in settings so should be ok.
I hope it works as I have been looking forward to playing Bioshock and other games over the easter period.

Sounds exactly the same as when my PSU died

My system is only 4 months old what causes it to die? I can't fault overclockers they are collecting it tomorrow and i will have it back in a few days a week max.
I have not played on the pc that much well doesnt seem like much certainly not as much as I would have liked. I guess will have to play wii u until its fixed :(

My system is only 4 months old what causes it to die? I can't fault overclockers they are collecting it tomorrow and i will have it back in a few days a week max.
I have not played on the pc that much well doesnt seem like much certainly not as much as I would have liked. I guess will have to play wii u until its fixed :(

My sympathy's :D

I have ps3 but dont have much to play on it dont think there has been anything decent on it lately. I have just received e-mail they are collecting it April 2nd, guy I spoke to must have forgot about easter period starting tomorrow.

Yeah same symptoms as I had with my last PSU failure too.
Would sometimes get as far as Windows then just rebooted itself. Maybe 30 seconds to a minute maximum it would stay up for.

I dont get why the cooler fan was not going round though ahh linked to the PSU I guess which is why it was not spinning round fast and stopped turning within a second or two of it being on. What causes it, I guess I wont have to do re-installs etc of my games.

I dont get why the cooler fan was not going round though ahh linked to the PSU I guess which is why it was not spinning round fast and stopped turning within a second or two of it being on. What causes it, I guess I wont have to do re-installs etc of my games.

did taking out the battery not work ?

You didn't have any er... private pictures on it did you, as you just know they'll have a good look around lol. :laugh:

Haha, comprehension failure :p

I said "If that does not work", then contact OCUK as taking out parts to test could void the warranty.

If the cooler starts up and then stops again, then normally it means that the motherboard has just gone into shutdown and it is not telling the PSU to send juice to it.

Last edited:
You didn't have any er... private pictures on it did you, as you just know they'll have a good look around lol. :laugh:

Lol no just steam, origin, ubisoft

did taking out the battery not work ?

No didn't work. Overclockers are collecting it Tuesday, they said it's either a PSU problem or they fried the motherboard.

I use a cheap power surge protector as I only have 2 plug sockets in the wall. I wish to connect monitor, PC, Homeplug, power for sofa recliner. I also wish to plug my wii-u and have another spare for either macbook charger, phone charger or wii u controller to charge.
I use a cheap one as I didn't know it would effect the PC. I use a more expensive one for my AV kit.

My components are

CPU- Intel Core i5- 3570k overclocked by 25%

Motherboard- Gigabyte Z77-D3H

CPU Cooler -Alpenföhn Groß Clockner Rev. B CPU Cooler

Graphics card- MSI 7970 Lightening

PSU- PC Power and Cooling Silencer MKII series 600W

If it was the power surge that could have caused the problem I will buy one like the one I have upstairs. Is it worth overclocking my system? I ask because overclocking may have fried the motherboard which is whats causing the problem although the overclocking does have 2 year warranty.

Shouldn't fry the motherboard. I have a very similar setup - the UD3H one, if the board won't boot with the overclock speed it reboots into "safe" settings which is back to stock speeds.

Never heard of that PSU make before. Just because something is new doesn't mean it cannot fail.

Just worried it can happen again. I have a cheap old power surge protector and connected to it I have

PC
Monitor
Home plug separate wall socket
Power for sofa recliner
Nintendo wii u
One spare for phone charger, nintendo wii u controller charger or macbook charger

Did the above cause the PSU to go on me thats if it is indeed the PSU? I only have 2 wall sockets which is why I am using extension block but if I would benefit from a better extension block I will buy one same as I use for my AV kit.

It won't hurt to get a better one to put you at ease.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom