• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Looks like my 60GB Phat's died :(

stu.artd

Prominent Member
Played Red Dead Redemption the other night and all was well with the PS3 (60GB swapped to a 500GB a while ago). Powered it on tonight and the power LED goes green flashes yellow then turns red.

It's a Japanese import and is just over 3.5 years old so I suppsoe it's had a good run. Time to look at the ps3 slim deals now I suppose, although I'm dreading having to redownload any PSN games or DLC that doesn't stay activated when I swap the hard drive over. :(

stu.artd

Prominent Member
I didn't notice any difference in the fan volume, didn't notice anything at all. Was really surprised when I powered it on and got the YLOD, as I'd expected some kind of 'warning sign'.

mby2j

Prominent Member
That sucks, did your PS3 develop the loud fan issue before dying?

Uh oh.....

My 60gb is really loud after about 30 mins of playing Fifa10, looks like the end is near then for mine then :thumbsdow

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
I didn't notice any difference in the fan volume, didn't notice anything at all. Was really surprised when I powered it on and got the YLOD, as I'd expected some kind of 'warning sign'.

I got no warning when my 60GB got the YLOD, the game i was playing just started to stutter and slow down then it just went off, No previous warnings it was going to go either i kept it pretty much dust free and well ventulated, the fan would only rise on very warm weather even then i wouldn't have it on that long, still wasn't enough to stop it dying.

luckly it powered on long enough to get the Disc out but wouldn't last long enough to do any back ups or anything.

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
Uh oh.....

My 60gb is really loud after about 30 mins of playing Fifa10, looks like the end is near then for mine then :thumbsdow

that might just be the very warm weather we are having causing the fan to try and keep the ps3 cool enough, the fan level on my Slim is up a little more than it normally is because of the weather, if i feel it's getting to hot for the PS3 i turn it off.

i wouldn't be to worried just yet.

Spoonablehippo

Prominent Member
Played Red Dead Redemption the other night and all was well with the PS3 (60GB swapped to a 500GB a while ago). Powered it on tonight and the power LED goes green flashes yellow then turns red.

It's a Japanese import and is just over 3.5 years old so I suppsoe it's had a good run. Time to look at the ps3 slim deals now I suppose, although I'm dreading having to redownload any PSN games or DLC that doesn't stay activated when I swap the hard drive over. :(

If i were you, id sent it off to be repaired (around £70) at one of the many console repair shops, get a slim, then use the data transfer utility to swap everything over, then sell the 60GB! You'll get more than what it cost to get it repaird, so its a no brainer! :smashin:

stu.artd

Prominent Member
If i were you, id sent it off to be repaired (around £70) at one of the many console repair shops, get a slim, then use the data transfer utility to swap everything over, then sell the 60GB! You'll get more than what it cost to get it repaird, so its a no brainer! :smashin:

That's just what I'm thinking of doing. Well kind of :). I'm looking at one of those FF 13 white slims on import, unless I see a decent deal on a UK slim in a store somewhere local..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom