1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looks like I've been ripped off :(

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by CTID, Sep 27, 2005.

1. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've followed with interest the thread about xbox media extender, so to make my wife very happy and enable her to watch Holby City in bed I went for one from ebay, a seller based in the states. :D

But, 10 days later box has arrived but both disks are not reading in anything. They are not obvious copies but don't look 100% legit. Remote and dongle is there though. I have two xboxes, one soft other hard modded and it won't read on either. The chap is not answering his emails and I contacted MS but the product is not supported in the UK. :confused:

What a nightmare, anyone know of a reputable UK dealer. Those who used ebay, do your disks look authentic?

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Oh no..... :eek:
    Yes, my disks do look very authentic.
    Is it just the xbox disc that won't read, or the pc disc also?
    You do have your xbox switched to NTSC?
    Does it read other NTSC discs?
    Have you got a serial number?
    If so, you could order the free update discs via the Microsoft website, at least they should work. However I got bad juddering with mine so resorted back to the original discs. I don't know of any UK retailer, they are not officially available here.

lisa

3. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    :( :(

just checked my disks, they are blank. Looks like they are copies, but he forgot to hit burn. I can't remember seeing a serial, is it on the disk or box. The remote and dongle are here and the box looks authentic, so I bet he got a returned unit and replaced the disks with copies...but forgot one important thing. :rolleyes:

Why oh why don't MS release this over here. I bet they never do now the 360 is coming. I did not they had reduced the price of Entender as well to $39 but no retailer will post to the UK.

Also I can't use XBMC as it is the recorded TV bit that I need. Does anyone know if 2 MCE PC's can share content?

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    What a ****er!
    Hope you get hold of him, maybe he will stick the original discs in the post (or copies that work!) Have you reported it to ebay/paypal, they should at least get your money back for you..

Shouldn't be any problem sharing recorded tv between pc's, it's sharing live tv that is tricky. Also the xbox extender kit lets you access the guide and edit the scheduled recordings, which is handy.

lisa

5. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    You absolutely need the serial number as it must be entered when you install the extender software on the PC. You will find it on the normal Microsoft yellow product key label on the paper envelope containing the CD for the PC. The DVD for the Xbox should come in a shrink wrapped blue DVD box.

If you do have a legitimate product key then all you need is for a kind soul to copy their disks for you. The PC end of the product will get activated over the Internet at install time so you can't just re-use someone else's key.

Don't Microsoft have a scheme where if you shop the seller of pirated software they will replace it with a proper copy? Could be worth asking them.

6. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    If Nero can copy xbox discs - I would be happy to help out...

lisa

7. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    well if someone sends me the original discs I can make a copy of them, i know how to, you need...Mod comment, instructions on how to copy protected discs removed.

8. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    guys, that is very very kind. I don't know how to copy an original xbox disk - I guess nero won't hack it. I would be more than happy to send many blank dvdrs through if someone would try. I do have a serial on the CD sleeve so hopefully that will work. I've checked the dvd again tonight and it is a blank that has been printed on using an inkjet. TBH I wouldn't have cared really as long as it all worked, as I guess the serial is the big thing. To make sure it was writeable, I've just burnt my finished editing of my daughters summer school play - the wiggly worm - so at least in came in for some use!!!

I phoned MS this afternoon, I've got a volume licence where I work so I explained what had happened and they said tough!!! (but in nice words) :( It was a US seller for a product that is not sold in the UK and they didn't give toss. I said should I contact their US Equivalents but they said as soon as it leaves their jurisdictions ie the country they don't care. I've emailed paypal as well, ebay, the Queen, Tony Blair.......

MS don't seem to care even though it was on a pretty public and famous (infamous) site. You just feel a bit frustrated when it happens, I want to shout at the guy, but he has just faded into the ether.

9. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    so what did you get, just the remote and reciever?...

10. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Hey Guys

those wanting to burn the disks for CTID have you thought about downloading the Extender software from newsgroups or another source? Once you have that ISO its easy to burn using XboX ISO.

Good luck!

11. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I can ftp into my xbox, and read the files on the hard drive, but will I be able to read the files of a disc? I am happy to give it a go - if someone tells me how.... or I could have a look on Usenet if that is going to be easier..

lisa

12. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    Unfortunately t's not available anywhere that I could find.

The most important thing is to check is that the Product Key is OK as without this you will get no further. The PC installation CD only contains 13MB of files so if CTID has somewhere convenient to have that delivered to I am sure that we can help out.

TBH I will be surprised if the Product Key is OK while the disks are dodgy as there is no intrinsic value to the disks which can in any case be copied ad infinitum whereas a legitimate Product Key is required to activate MCX on the PC.

13. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    If you have XBMC installed you can just use the file browser and copy the files onto a temp directory from the DVD.

Your best bet for assistance is www.xbox-scene.com. I doubt there is a more knowledgeable group of people with the Xbox than these! :)

14. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    meansizzle, it was a complete pack, everything as it should be including serial but the disks are not real ones. If I find some way of getting online storage could someone send me the PC files so I can check the serial. I don't want to waste peoples ime with the xbox files if this is a non-starter :)

15. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    CTID,

I will PM you when I have copied the PC files to a place where you can pick them up from.

16. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    :) you're a gent.

17. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Always use Paypal on ebay - they have a good sytem for getting your money back in these situations.

18. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    You have got to be kidding! Looks like you believe all the 'safe as houses' ******** that Ebay & PayPal try & pretend about buying stuff on Ebay.

19. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Agreed to some extent. Surley some hope is better than no hope?

20. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    :hiya: thanks to all who have kindly helped out on this, you know who you are and it is much appreciated. I'm going to try the PC side tonight and check that serial so fings crossed! :thumbsup:

21. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    You're welcome, I hope the postie comes today too!

22. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I recently bought something from a firm on Ebay, it was faulty and they were not exactly desperate to put that right. Paypal credited my money back in full and very quickly.

23. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    did you get it back in full, including the postage?..

24. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    :( Well no surprise, the product activation is invalid. So this joker has also wasted the time of people trying to help me on here. One last try with MS on Monday and then the search for an honest seller starts again!!

cheers guys

:thumbsdow

25. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should post his Ebay user ID to save anyone else here from dealing with him.

:smoke:

26. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    might have a bit of news here. Seller has replyed saying he is shocked :)() and he will get replacement disks in the post asap. We shall see.

27. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I really didn't expect this, but the replacement disks arrived yesterday :clap: :clap: I very nervously keyed in the second serial and the machine happily activated itself online. :D

I set it up last night very quickly and used a 1:1 wirelss connection to the PC MCE using a different subnet to my other wireless network. (The MCE connects to my adsl router wirelessly as well). There is a very very slight lag between pressing the remote and see a menu change but the playback is great. Every now and again I get network congestion message as well. Hopefully this will go when I get my 30m crossover cable through the post!

Thanks agian everyone :smashin:

28. Snash

Snash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been following your trials and tribulations here and glad to see you've got it sorted out :thumbsup: