Looks like I may be getting a PS4 for an early christmas pressie from everyone, what do I need for..

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As title:

It looks like I may be getting a PS4 for an early christmas pressie from everyone, what do I need for online play and communication??

I mainly game on pc *ducks and runs* .... but I am being drawn into Destiny which my mate brings round here with him along with his ps4 and I wouldn't mind playing through Uncharted and a few more exclusives.

I imagine I can get sound via the HDMI to my monitors headphone jack, I did use a Samson C01U Studio condenser mic for my ps3 and currently my pc:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samson-CO1U-Studio-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B000PTF0E2
I was wondering if anyone knew if that one worked on the ps4 also??

On the game packaging for Destiny it said that some online features require PS+, would this be the raids etc??

cheers

tris

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Yes you need PSPlus. pick it up from cdkeys.

For a mic you can just use a hands free from your phone if you want but you get a little earpiece free with it and tbh it works perfectly fine.

You got your sound and picture sorted via the hdmi and monitor it seems. So just connect it to the net and away you go.

The Sony wireless headset is great for sound and mic. I use mine regularly even if I'm gaming on my own.

Agree ps+ from same site as above, you can get good deals. I've stacked a few years ago in good until 2017 I think.

Damn, I been busted :confused::eek:

Cheers guys. The little ear piece will do for the time being if my mic don't work, that's good that it comes with one :) I wonder if my purchases from my ps3 transfer over if I sign in with the same account?? I don't have it now, not sure if accounts are linked like that though.

Ahh, didn't know cdkeys sold them too, another 5% off with facebook code then I expect, and some cheap arse games likely to pop up too.... I do love a bargain ;)

Well, with the console I'll go physical matey :D Destiny and the Nathan Drake collection come with it so that should sort me for a while. I'll get most stuff the cheapest way at the time I expect, so probably a bit of both. That said I expect I'll need a larger drive which I'll get and swap out to in the future. I won't be getting too many on it, no mainstream I doubt, maybe a cheap/second hand rocksmith so I don't have to link my pc up to the tv when I want to play that in the living room.... I already have a small backlog of pc games to paly :rolleyes::confused::laugh:

tris

Yeah, just a small 100 or so I bet lol.
Reason I asked was the whole game sharing and Canadian/US store thing but if your going physical it's not going to bother you.
Your purchases are all linked to your account but PS4 isn't backwards compatible with PS3 content.
Oh, if you like horror check out Until Dawn great game.

Managed to get one yesterday at game with destiny + expansions and unchartered collection for £299.... Christmas money pretty much depleted now but it racked my points up on my game reward card so grabbed a £15 psn voucher.

Both the games that came with it were physical, shame the ps4's not backwards compatible, but picked up the last of us second hand, the enhanced version or something, so will have a go at that some time.

Just been looking for a half decent good racing game with loads of tracks etc.... came across Drive Club, is that any good for £15.99??

Sorry to make this breif, quite tired, wife became ill yesterday evening, spent the best part of the evening at the hospital and they kept her in over night. Been back and forth since then and not had much sleep so I'm quite knackered, but having a go at Destiny tonight.

tris

Drive club is a cracking good game , i'v had many hours on it and love it ,
their have also just realest drive club bikes (£11.99) , which is really good, bought it yesta , and had a hour or so on it last night and enjoyed that too.
Holy Crap... DriveClub: Bikes!!!

hope your missus gets well soon .:smashin:

First of all hope the Mrs is OK matey.

Drive Club is good if you like it on the arcade side of things rather than the Project cars side of things. Check out Resogun as well, very simple but very addictive. Let me know your PSN name and I will add you if that ok

Thanks very much :) Visiting times aren't until 14:30, but that gives us both a chance to get a bit of sleep as they keep her up a fair bit with tests (taking blood pressure etc....) and I'm an insomniac anyway, but have found that insomniacs can actually sleep less ;) (still tired all the time, just more than usual). Hopefully she'll have seen the consultant and actually had something else done today, will find out in a bit.

Damn that helm cam for bikes looks pretty good, manic with all that rain coming in your face, but not too bad at all :)

Not too sure on the bikes one though, I've not got on with bike ones that are not dirt bike realted before, but you never know.

Project Cars I bloody love I must admit. I was on the 'team' for it, though didn't get too much involved as the problems I found when playing it from the ground (well alpha) up for 3 years were already covered. I obviously have it on the pc, but haven't really had too much chance to play it since release yet.... far too many pc games as I expect you know ;)

Driveclub just stood out to me a bit for the price £15.99 for ps+ people of which I'd only have to pay £0.99 for using my £15 psn card. It doesn't look too bad at all, shame there's no karting, cheap and an arcade racer rather than a sim like Project Cars. Does it look almost as good on a console as it does the pc and have similar handling? Looks like the digital version comes with the LE Upgrade pack too which is nice. It's a pretty close toss up between those two for me as I don't mind either playatyle. Will have to weigh them up and see what offers more, unless any of you know off the top of your heads??

I don't have time to look now, just popping up the hospital to see the wife, so don't have a chance to look now.

Erm, not sure what my psn name is matey, let me know where I find it and I'll grab it later when I come back for my tea and let you know :)

tris

One thing I'd advise is to not leave any payment details on sony network. They will auto renew stuff like plus and just take from your payment source. Best to deal only in credit (plus it's cheaper :)).

Hope you don't mind high jacking the threat. In same boat, not bought yet, got the money just waiting for good bundle for £250 - they do pop around.
Anyway, do any games come with trial codes for PS Plus? I remember in xbox 360 times (yeah I know) lots of games had gold codes.
And does headphones come in the box, is it like xbox one side with a mic? Can you talk and hear game sounds at the same time?

No prob quick ;)

Anyway, do any games come with trial codes for PS Plus?
There appear to be demos on the store, but not that many for my liking

And does headphones come in the box, is it like xbox one side with a mic?
The thing that came in my box (I got a Destiny Taken King bundle which also had unchartered collection), is simply a cheaply made uncomfortable in ear headphone that plugs into the controller. The sound is 'ok' but I really don't like the mic. I picked a cheap turtle beach job, £30, and the sound and mic are pretty good, wire from controller to the pad isn't too bad, but, like a lot of headphone/set type thing between £10 and £50/60 these days, the wires to the over ear phones themselves are like bell wire, thin and horrid. I'll certainlly be replacing them with a wireless headset or a headset with nice thick wire when I am able to.

Can you talk and hear game sounds at the same time?

In Destiny I have the sound going through the tv and just the chat coming via the headset. It does have an option to change it so the game sound is coming through the amp/tv/speakers/headset etc.... but having it coming through the headset is awful I have found with my current one, not as in quality (well too my tastes quality too, I have a very fussy ear), more the fact it's hard to hear my mate talking at the same time as fireing an automatic rifle.

tris

Brill Thanks for that. I have HTC one headphones with a mic, that should work and I'm not that bothered with sound quality. I guess that sounds level from game and voice communication can be adjusted. Will test it when I get console, come on deals ! :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom