Lookng for an external mic for Panasonic HC-V700

sannesley

Banned
I'm looking to purchase an external video mic that can take a dead kitten for a Panasonic V700.

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences of using these with the camcorder. I've read positive reviews of Rode mics but wondering there are any similar or better products available?

I'm looking at products in terms of build quality, ease of usability, quality of recorded footage.

Any advice or help. Greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

sannesley

Banned
12harry said:
Why is the on-camera mic no good?

I only got the camera today and haven't had a play with it it yet but I'm sure the on-camera mic will be perfectly adequate for 90% of the recording scenarios I'll be using it for.

12harry said:
What are you planning on using it for?

In the past camcorders I've had have suffered poorly when filming outdoors from wind interefering with sound capture, especially in windy situations such as the beach or up mountains. I was thinking an external mic with the dead cat set up would eliminate this problem hopefully and allow for clear recording.

Paul MC007

In the past camcorders I've had have suffered poorly when filming outdoors from wind interefering with sound capture, especially in windy situations such as the beach or up mountains. I was thinking an external mic with the dead cat set up would eliminate this problem hopefully and allow for clear recording.

Actually, it should help quite a bit.

I film professionally for a living and can tell you that if you are filming in windy, open conditions, the external mic and dead cat will make quite a difference.

I use at work a Sony external mic which works fantastically in windy conditions...

...In the past camcorders I've had have suffered poorly when filming outdoors from wind interefering with sound capture, especially in windy situations such as the beach or up mountains. I was thinking an external mic with the dead cat set up would eliminate this problem hopefully and allow for clear recording...

sannesley - an external mic will help a lot - but since you're principally interested in eliminating wind noise, why not try a £19 Rycote Micro Windjammer for your built-in mic before you spend £160+ for a Rode Video Mic Pro and Windjammer?

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Chelters

..... or even make your own like I have done, see this thread

12harry

Distinguished Member
Chelters, I'm with you there, my slim-jim "cat's tail" did (and still does) a wonderful job, securred with metal hooks that share the camera straps, a short piece of elestic makes it stay put ( and easier to remove to change Memory/batteries...why do Mfrs put these "Regular Changers" out of the way?).

It's not always easy to get the fluffy stuff - I had to go a few towns away to find it by the metre....but since discovered you can be "lucky" and find odd pieces in Charity-Shops masquerading as fashion items, scarves, etc. They aren't the conventional dark-grey - but at £1.50 for a whole scarf, who cares?

If OP want to check their internal mic, I suggest a quiet room with sofas/chairs/curtains (so no echos) and decent speakers...put a classical CD on (of solo piano music) and try recording that. Then when you playback, within the limitations of regular TV's (where Audio is just 5% of the purchase price) OP can compare the recording with the original. If he can rig-up the same speakers to the TV, even better. This should kill the myth that on-camera audio is rubbish. These days the mics have a decent digital recorder behind them. The mics are electrets, usually and so are many of the up-market semi-pro types. Of course having a separate mic means you can record closer.... that's the key, IMHO.

One area where OP needs to watch is the external mic lead. Some are thin - so they don't conduct sound from the camera operation (but are potentially weak!), others are rather robust which means they will create noise and conduct sound from the camera (eg when zooming). You takes yr choice, but worth remembering if the lead is captive - so you can't replace it.

Last edited:

petet66

The main issue I have with the built in mic is handling noise. Every rustle and contact with the body of the camera gets picked up and amplified (and has done with every camcorder I've every owned!). I use a Sony external mic which has a rubbr mounting and to date it has 100% succeeded in eliminating any handling noise. I can't remember the number now but can add it when I get home tonight.

Gramuk

Guessing you've already researched the Rode range of mics. I have a Rode stereo videomic pro - the latest plastic once which looks like a golf ball. Just wanted to give you some feedback on how it is in real life. The mount and positioning of the mic allows deadkitten fitment with absolutely no encroachment into the image. The mic has rubber mounts to prevent camera handling noise and all being a sturdy plastic construction it does not affect camera handling. Audio quality is superb. Wind noise reduction is also very good with the optional deakitten. It has switchable high pass filtering to further cut wind noise by attenuating the lower frequencies - again which works well if needed. Can't really fault the mic. Good luck

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom