Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Looking to upgrade.....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gavintennant, Apr 27, 2004.

1. gavintennant

gavintennant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Okay, firstly, my current setup:

Receiver : Denon 2802
    DVD/CD Player: Toshiba SD-520E
    TV: Toshiba 28ZD26P
    Speakers: Front: B&W 602 S3
    Centre: LCR 60 S3
    Rear: 601 S3

Have just bought a new house and with that, looking to upgrade my current setup. As it stands now, my friends are still blown away even having had this for 2 years. But.... you guys know what it is like!

the main living room where this is, is 15` by 10` wide

Now, hadn't thought about receiver as it is great as it is, but having just seen the Denon 3805, am very tempted.....
    Sub.. been leaning towards B+W ASW675.

just wondering if this would be a good setup?? Okay, I know the TV needs upgrading but am looking at plasma in about a year, maybe less... depends on my boss and if I get my promotion!!!!

Would the sub be worth adding, I know I have yet to demo everything but I will go with one or 2 ideas already. Is the 3805 a HUGE improvement over a 2802.... Now it supports 7.1, so what would I get for surrounds and rrears? Thought about my 601s for surrounds and 600 for rears. or vic versa, have to try it. At the moment I'm running a 602 driver as my middle rear, with no cover or anything (child trouble.. thought the cone was solid... it wan't.... cracked but not broken!! Kudos to B+W for customer service!!!) I digress.

Oh and dvd player... that would be upgraded to at least support PAL progressive (eye to the plasma) probably Denon as I like their equipment. Does the 3805 come in gold though??

Any ideas or suggestion would be great!!!!

ta
    gav

2. gavintennant

gavintennant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry... What I meant with that was 2 questions! Does the 3805 come in gold and what would be a good DVD player to go with it...

Gav

3. Dave Gray

Dave Gray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Gav,
    I've been living with the Denon 3805 now for about three weeks.
    In my opinion its stunning, way ahead of my old 3802 . More powerful and dynamic, better detail, better stereo performance and yeh, more complex but in kid in a sweet shop sort of way! The mic auto setup is fantastic. It looks awesome in Silver! (Don't think they do a Gold one anymore.)

There's loads of enhancements for 6.1/7.1 speakers not just for DVD but for normal broadcasts and stereo. The new Pro Logic IIx and DTS Neo 6 modes are brilliant for converting 2 channel to 7 speakers. You can access all the functions thru the display on the amp without the need for the on screen display which I couldnt with the 3802. It has adjustable lip sync, ideal for when you get your Plasma, and for the dreadful low bit sky channels!

I use it with an silver Arcam DV88plus DVD Player ( Creative Audio in Shrewsbury are selling it new at £499 an absolute steal!!!) probably the best progressive scan image (PAL & NTSC) this side of a grand, Kef Q series speakers and a B&W ASW2500 sub wich I think is similar (10inch driver) but older than the ASW675 you are thinking about, and it sounds absolutely awesome. I don't think the ASW675 will be any worse!

I dont think you will be dissapointed with your potential purchases, but obviously get a demo if you can. Everybody's eyes and ears are different. If you are ever traveling up the M5 through Worcs., you can always pop in for a look and listen!

Dave:smashin: