1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to upgrade.....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gavintennant, Apr 27, 2004.

1. gavintennant

gavintennant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Okay, firstly, my current setup:

Receiver : Denon 2802
    DVD/CD Player: Toshiba SD-520E
    TV: Toshiba 28ZD26P
    Speakers: Front: B&W 602 S3
    Centre: LCR 60 S3
    Rear: 601 S3

Have just bought a new house and with that, looking to upgrade my current setup. As it stands now, my friends are still blown away even having had this for 2 years. But.... you guys know what it is like!

the main living room where this is, is 15` by 10` wide

Now, hadn't thought about receiver as it is great as it is, but having just seen the Denon 3805, am very tempted.....
    Sub.. been leaning towards B+W ASW675.

just wondering if this would be a good setup?? Okay, I know the TV needs upgrading but am looking at plasma in about a year, maybe less... depends on my boss and if I get my promotion!!!!

Would the sub be worth adding, I know I have yet to demo everything but I will go with one or 2 ideas already. Is the 3805 a HUGE improvement over a 2802.... Now it supports 7.1, so what would I get for surrounds and rrears? Thought about my 601s for surrounds and 600 for rears. or vic versa, have to try it. At the moment I'm running a 602 driver as my middle rear, with no cover or anything (child trouble.. thought the cone was solid... it wan't.... cracked but not broken!! Kudos to B+W for customer service!!!) I digress.

Oh and dvd player... that would be upgraded to at least support PAL progressive (eye to the plasma) probably Denon as I like their equipment. Does the 3805 come in gold though??

Any ideas or suggestion would be great!!!!

ta
    gav

2. gavintennant

gavintennant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry... What I meant with that was 2 questions! Does the 3805 come in gold and what would be a good DVD player to go with it...

Gav

3. Dave Gray

Dave Gray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Gav,
    I've been living with the Denon 3805 now for about three weeks.
    In my opinion its stunning, way ahead of my old 3802 . More powerful and dynamic, better detail, better stereo performance and yeh, more complex but in kid in a sweet shop sort of way! The mic auto setup is fantastic. It looks awesome in Silver! (Don't think they do a Gold one anymore.)

There's loads of enhancements for 6.1/7.1 speakers not just for DVD but for normal broadcasts and stereo. The new Pro Logic IIx and DTS Neo 6 modes are brilliant for converting 2 channel to 7 speakers. You can access all the functions thru the display on the amp without the need for the on screen display which I couldnt with the 3802. It has adjustable lip sync, ideal for when you get your Plasma, and for the dreadful low bit sky channels!

I use it with an silver Arcam DV88plus DVD Player ( Creative Audio in Shrewsbury are selling it new at £499 an absolute steal!!!) probably the best progressive scan image (PAL & NTSC) this side of a grand, Kef Q series speakers and a B&W ASW2500 sub wich I think is similar (10inch driver) but older than the ASW675 you are thinking about, and it sounds absolutely awesome. I don't think the ASW675 will be any worse!

I dont think you will be dissapointed with your potential purchases, but obviously get a demo if you can. Everybody's eyes and ears are different. If you are ever traveling up the M5 through Worcs., you can always pop in for a look and listen!

Dave:smashin: