Looking to upgrade my system but what do i upgrade first?

tony kop77

My current system is

Philips 9830 32" LCD tv 5 years old
Kef 2005.2 egg speakers can't remember how old
Denon 2803 amp purchased same time as the speakers
Playstation 3 as a blu ray player

I am unsure what to upgrade first. I want to buy a new tv late in the year, wan't 3D as I play a lot of gaming and want to start watching more films.
I am also looking at getting a pair of floorstanding speakers don't want to pay more than £700 and about £150 on a centre speaker but not sure if I will then need a new amp and if my kef speakers will be ok as back speakers.
My room is about 11ft by 10.

Webbserver

My current system is

Philips 9830 32" LCD tv 5 years old
Kef 2005.2 egg speakers can't remember how old
Denon 2803 amp purchased same time as the speakers
Playstation 3 as a blu ray player

I am unsure what to upgrade first. I want to buy a new tv late in the year, wan't 3D as I play a lot of gaming and want to start watching more films.
I am also looking at getting a pair of floorstanding speakers don't want to pay more than £700 and about £150 on a centre speaker but not sure if I will then need a new amp and if my kef speakers will be ok as back speakers.
My room is about 11ft by 10.

First thing I'd upgrade after the TV is the speakers. I had Kef eggs as surrounds for a while and was not impressed. With respect, given the size of your room I would not go for floor standing speakers as they generally need some room to breath. Go for sealed (not ported) bookshelf speaker accross the front LCR e.g. the Kef Q1 or equivalent, so that you can place them close to the front wall and add a reasonable sub e.g. something like a B&K. If you're budget is tight, keep the eggs as rears for now and perhaps replace with matching kef ceiling speakers later on, they work great as surrounds.

I speak from experience as I've had Denon AVRs and Kef speakers floor standing, bookshelf and ceiling designs which I found to be a good match.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Steve

davepuma

Distinguished Member
I would also upgrade the speakers next. Floorstanders might indeed be overkill for a small room. I would also add Tannoy Mercury speakers to your audition list, the new ones appear to have carried on where the old ranges left off. I used to use them (Mercury and Mercury MX) and can honestly say they sounded a lot better than some more expensive speakers I've heard. I also used them with a Denon AVR.

tony kop77

Thanks guys. I always thought floor speakers were best thats why I thought about getting them but will give them a miss as you both said it might be too much for a small room.
Would you upgrade the tv before speakers?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
The TV is the main component and as you're going from an older 32", I would imagine that your proposed new TV will be the biggest upgrade. Enjoy.

Webbserver

crazzy kopite said:
Thanks guys. I always thought floor speakers were best thats why I thought about getting them but will give them a miss as you both said it might be too much for a small room.
Would you upgrade the tv before speakers?

If you're interested in 3D then I guess you'll need to upgrade your TV at some point. I have no interest in 3D so if it were me, I'd buy the largest used Pioneer plasma you can accommodate. You'll be able to pick up a used 427XD for next to nothing and it will blow anything else, at that size, out of the water for picture quality, even current sets. If I had to buy new for 3D, my choice would be a Panasonic plasma, so much better than LCD for picture quality IMO.
Cheers
Steve

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
You could try the Q500 floorstanders, which aren't a particularly bassy floorstander. They're a sealed cabinet, so are pretty tight and controlled, nothing excessive.

Many KHT users have added floorstanding iQ and Q models which have blended in seamlessly, and some have added the matching centre in later and stuck with the KHT's as rear speakers.

As mentioned, KEF and Denon go well together - KEF usually use Denon AV receivers at shows and exhibitions.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom