Looking To Upgrade My Sony Bravia To OLED / QLED. Guidance Required

ClarkKent77

I have a 55-inch Sony Bravia 4K TV from 2015. The image quality is great, but it doesn't have eArc (for my Sonos Surround Set), and I want a 65-inch TV.

I've been looking into an upgrade for some time. Some people advised that I wait for Black Friday deals, so here I am! Points to consider:

1. It has to be 65 inches.
2. It has to have eArc and be compatible for Sonos Surround Set / Apple TV 4K.
3. It will mainly be used for watching films (on Netflix, Amazon Prime etc) and TV shows. No gaming.
4. I've been to Currys and John Lewis to look at TVs. I thought Samsung's 8K TV looked great. Of course, bearing in mind that preview content can be misleading since not everything will look that good.
5. I also thought that Sony's OLED (the AJ?) looked good.

I was ready to pull the trigger on one of these, but I had a thought. To me, the quality didn't look like a noticeable upgrade to what I already have, and I don't want to spend loads of time and money on something that makes me say "well it's a little bit better if you squint in a certain light".

With this in mind, am I better waiting for something "new"? If so, is there anything I should consider?

Are there any upcoming Black Friday deals I should keep an eye on?

Dodgexander

If you are using only streaming services, you do not need a TV that has eARC. The problem is that your 2015 Sony is not supporting sending Dolby Atmos via ARC. Today, even TVs with only ARC can send Atmos from streaming services fine.

eARC is only needed for HD sound formats, that are never used by streaming services and only used by physical disc media like Blu-Ray, UHD Blu-Ray and Games Consoles.

Samsung TVs are still using LCD tech like your old TV, so the decision that has to be made first is which type of technology do you prefer? LCD or OLED. Once you have decided on that, you can narrow down your choices more easily.

There's no one-size-fits-all answer, so it depends on your preferences, budget and viewing conditions.

Black Friday each year is usually a good time to start shopping for a TV, but prices are never the absolute best. So expect now if buying a 2021 model to spend one or two hundred more than you'd perhaps pay in spring next year for the same model.

On current OLED deals it's hard to look past the Philips OLED706 sold for £1300 but some people may choose to spend more on other OLED models if they have niche reasons to do so.

ClarkKent77

Dodge,

Thanks for the reply.

If that is the case (with the eArc) then how do I get Dolby Atmos from my Sonos Surround Set? I've tried every option on my TV (watching things through the TV, through Apple TV) and the output seems to vary between Stereo PCM, Dolby 2.0 and Dolby Digital 5.1.

There is no way I can get Dolby Atmos, and my research led me to believe that the only way I can get Dolby Atmos (I know it's not "true" Atmos) is to either get a newer TV with eArc or purchase a Fury Arcana. Are you telling me that this isn't the case? Or am I misunderstanding? Are you saying that the issue is due to my specific TV?

Dodgexander

Your issue is with your specific TV, not to do with ARC.
Modern TVs, as young as 2016 models support sending Atmos from streaming services via regular ARC.

eARC is only required on TVs today for HD sound, Atmos or no atmos.
Non-HD Atmos via ARC works fine, which is the type of atmos streaming services support.

I didn't mention it because you can get Atmos with your current TV, just so you don't have to worry about the new TV supporting eARC.

ClarkKent77

Thanks! What’s the difference between HD sound and Atmos?

You say I can get Atmos with my current TV, but I’ve never been able to. Not with Blu-Ray, streaming, TV, anything. I’ve got a high-speed HDMI cable. Fast, reliable internet. Everything seems to be wired up correctly. But I’ve never had Atmos. Spoke to Sonos and Sony. Both said I need an upgraded TV or an Arcana.

Am I missing something else?

Dodgexander

No, I've never said you can get Atmos with your current TV.

There are two types of Atmos, the one used by streaming services on TVs you buy today does not need eARC to work. When shopping for a TV, you do not need to look at TVs that use eARC. Its not needed.

MartinCo

Thanks! What’s the difference between HD sound and Atmos?

You say I can get Atmos with my current TV, but I’ve never been able to. Not with Blu-Ray, streaming, TV, anything. I’ve got a high-speed HDMI cable. Fast, reliable internet. Everything seems to be wired up correctly. But I’ve never had Atmos. Spoke to Sonos and Sony. Both said I need an upgraded TV or an Arcana.

Am I missing something else?
Hi ClarkKent

I've got a similar setup to you - built-in TV apps on my older Samsung don't send out Atmos to my JBL soundbar

Some success with an Amazon firestick 4k but not every appw works.

Google TV/ Chromecast does Netflix and Amazon with atmos & 4k, works great.

Also got a Blu-ray 4k player plugged in, but though a hdmi switcher so I can get the full HD sound formats into the soundbar.

All works great. No new TV needed for EArc

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom