Looking to upgrade my Q Acoustic 5.1 20xx speakers

Proto Omega

Currently I have
Q Acoustic Q2050i
Q Acoustics Q2000i
Q Acoustics Q2070i
Q Acoustics Q2010i
These are connected to my Denon X4200W reciever

They are fine I just thought If there might be better sounding ones if I spent a bit more with upgrading to another 5.1 speakers?
I’m also looking to upgrade the receiver itself to a Denon AVC-X3700H so it supports earc and seems like it provides beefier sound?

I want beefier sound but have no idea where to begin with getting better sound compared to my current speakers. I want ones that aren’t as overbearing as my current front speakers like on a thin stand instead a long thick vertical block but also providing better quality sound?

All this would be connected to a LG CX tv

what are my options?
I’m in the uk and don’t mind spending £2k on just the 5.1 speakers if need be for better sound.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
What about considering these new Monolith Encore range a 5.0 setup at a very competitive £1250 and add to it a Monolith 12" THX subwoofer at £799 just on budget.

review here:

The Encore can be favorably compared to the Arendal 1961 range but at a much cheaper price

Proto Omega

What about considering these new Monolith Encore range a 5.0 setup at a very competitive £1250 and add to it a Monolith 12" THX subwoofer at £799 just on budget.

review here:

The Encore can be favorably compared to the Arendal 1961 range but at a much cheaper price
Hmm. Not bad.I’d like a wooden finish if possible and if possible and with speaker stands rather than floor standers (but only if the sound isn’t compromised with speaker stands)
Would these be a noticeable upgrade from my current ones in regards to sound quality and clarity? Also do receivers and speaker cables matter with better speakers

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
I'd say 4200.to 3700 is downgrade. 3700 is newer buy lower range.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
I’m not sure what you mean? My Denon 4200 I got in 2016
Does anyone who is an expert know please

Yes it's older but it's from a higher range. Also amps back then were much better they're cramming more and more channels so newer ones are less powerful.

Which confirms what I said.

Proto Omega

Yes it's older but it's from a higher range. Also amps back then were much better they're cramming more and more channels so newer ones are less powerful.

Which confirms what I said.
Wow I didn’t know this. That’s disappointing.so there is no way to get better sound quality with a more expensive receiver? Would getting better speakers help or is that limited to or bottlenecked
by my current receiver?
I wanted to change the receiver due to it not having earc and my hdmi ports on tv are limited to three rather than using all of the receivers too, but this receiver isn’t 2.1 hdmi so I only pass audio through it otherwise it causes issues if I connect devices to it as well as the sharc.

Kapkirk

I think the modern equivalent is the AVR-X4700, but if you mainly wanted it for the newer connectivity the x3700 would be fine without too much loss in sound quality however you would lose approximately 20 watts of output power on the main channels compared to the x4200.
The Q acoustics are pretty large and pump out a fair bit of bass so trying to expect a skinny thin speaker to do the same is a little unrealistic. However there are better QUALITY alternatives which might not take up so much room and be overbearing as you put it. The Dali Oberon 5.1 package would be a decent upgrade and the main pair are a little smaller than the Q acoustics. You can get the whole package with the Denon Receiver for £2500 maybe less if you can barter a bit of discount.
Personally I would keep your current receiver if it still works fine, I doubt the x3700 would sound any beefier unless you pair it with a particularly good subwoofer.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
The Encore would be a step up in Quality compared to what you have now if you don't want floorstanders you could always get 4 of the B6 bookshelves and some stands and the Encore C6 centre and the 12" THX subwoofer. That would save a bit and cover the stand costs although you would loose the floorstanders that might not be a bad thing.

Floorstanders often need more room to breathe and can be a bit difficult to find their sweet placement spot if you don't have enough room to have them a few feet from any walls. Standmounts are not so critical for placement and can be much closer to walls without sounding too bassy.

Don't fret over cable any decent copper cable around £1-2 per metre is fine, certainly don't spend more, a cable like these below is perfectly good enough, just get some banana plugs also makes easier connecting speakers and gives a better connection IMV.

Get the 2.5mm version 50m is approx £35

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KabelDirekt-speaker-2x1-5mm²-Transparent-polarity-copper/dp/B01LF8AQUO/ref=asc_df_B01LF8AQUO/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=205215094696&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17833356961662152588&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007231&hvtargid=pla-348881338203&th=1

Your Denon will be fine with these speakers and whether you keep your current amp or or get a 3700 the only real benefit is HDMI 2.1 which is hardly worth bothering with really unless you want some of the 2.1 benefits and earc is not really needed anyway, it can be a bit flakey from what I have read.

Last edited:

Proto Omega

The Encore would be a step up in Quality compared to what you have now if you don't want floorstanders you could always get 4 of the B6 bookshelves and some stands and the Encore C6 centre and the 12" THX subwoofer. That would save a bit and cover the stand costs although you would loose the floorstanders that might not be a bad thing.

Floorstanders often need more room to breathe and can be a bit difficult to find their sweet placement spot if you don't have enough room to have them a few feet from any walls. Standmounts are not so critical for placement and can be much closer to walls without sounding too bassy.

Don't fret over cable any decent copper cable around £1-2 per metre is fine, certainly don't spend more, a cable like these below is perfectly good enough, just get some banana plugs also makes easier connecting speakers and gives a better connection IMV.

Get the 2.5mm version 50m is approx £35

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KabelDirekt-speaker-2x1-5mm²-Transparent-polarity-copper/dp/B01LF8AQUO/ref=asc_df_B01LF8AQUO/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=205215094696&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17833356961662152588&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007231&hvtargid=pla-348881338203&th=1

Your Denon will be fine with these speakers and whether you keep your current amp or or get a 3700 the only real benefit is HDMI 2.1 which is hardly worth bothering with really unless you want some of the 2.1 benefits and earc is not really needed anyway, it can be a bit flakey from what I have read.
I’m not really bothered if I can’t get floorstanders I wanted better quality sound so if floorstanders can provide this I’d stick to them but seems this is hard to achieve due to the way the receivers today have less watts at the front due to including more channels but in real world scenario would you even notice?

kbfern

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom