Looking to upgrade my Popcorn Hour A-400

Simon Belmont

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I like to stream off my network using Samba and also have loads of files on 2TB HDD. So would like to play local files also.

Been looking at the Minix X8-H Plus and the Mede8er Med800x3d

While I don't have 4K right now, I am thinking about getting one soon. My main thing is to play 1080p files either over network using Samba and playing local files through a WD USB passport. I would like to use both.

I like the Mede8er,but this player is getting old just like my popcorn a400. I wonder if the Minix X8-H Plus will play all the files I have or maybe a different player? I have read the minix X8 Plus is a great player though.

Last edited:
I think that if all you want to play are your own media files then the A-400 is about as good as it gets, especially for the video processing on SD video it would be hard to beat.
However if you also want internet streaming of the likes of Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube etc. then a more up to date player is going to be required. However there are now so many that it is hard to choose, just stick to the better known makes rather than a cheap no name player as after sale support is king for these devices.

So what exactly are you trying to get with the upgrade? As you say 4K is not currently a requirement, so perhaps wait until it is and then see what is available.

Mark.

I think that if all you want to play are your own media files then the A-400 is about as good as it gets, especially for the video processing on SD video it would be hard to beat.
However if you also want internet streaming of the likes of Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube etc. then a more up to date player is going to be required. However there are now so many that it is hard to choose, just stick to the better known makes rather than a cheap no name player as after sale support is king for these devices.

So what exactly are you trying to get with the upgrade? As you say 4K is not currently a requirement, so perhaps wait until it is and then see what is available.

Mark.

I guess I'm looking for a player that can play local files and stream off my network and stream movies off Kodi. Is there a newer player that does this?

Yes, but it would be easier if you list which streaming services you want to use so we can give more direct advice on what to look for.
Amazon Prime for example is limited to only a few players as far as I can tell, but Netflix is fairly well supported.

Mark.

There is....first batch already sold. Futeko website Q10 Pro
I am waiting to get one too...I currently use the A-410 with nmj and yamj for jukeboxing, but Kodi would make it easier.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom