looking to upgrade my hs20

fordyce

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've currently got a fine pix hs20exr bridge camera, I'm beginning to find that the camera is starting to show some age, (crashing a lot and getting very slow) so I've decided to upgrade it.

ideally I'd like to get a full dslr with just a standard lens to start out, I think I'd spend between £300 and £350 and would like it to be noticeably better than my hs20 image quality wise so I feel like it was worth the upgrade :hiya:

thanks

thanks for that sion, what camera would you recommend as an upgrade?

Any reasonably modern DSLR/DSLT will be a big image quality improvement for you - get to a shop and see how the various introductory models from each manufacturer feel in your hands - have a play with the menu system and on-camera controls and pick what suits you best.

You will have real problems getting a "decent" amount of zoom if you've used the longer range zoom on your HS20 though...

Jim

never really used the zoom, I mainly do long shutter and night photographing and I'm finding if I go above ISo 200 at night or day it goes very noisy or slightly yellow, I've spent hours trying all the settings and can't get results I'm happy with.

I've been looking at 450/550d both of which I know feel good to hold just wondering if they'd be worth the upgrade?

Yes they would :) - in that case I'd go with a nice cheapish nifty fifty F1.8 and see how you get on - however don't expect "miracles" regarding noise at High ISO (say above ISO 800) but will still be streets ahead of what you are seeing from your Bridge model.

Regarding the yellow cast - shoot RAW and try tweaking the white balance in post processing.

Jim

thanks for the help, I think I'm going for a 550d with an 18-55 kit lens just now.

do you know of anyone who uses the 550d so I could check some images?

Should be a few over on the Canon photo sharing thread - just post a general question over ther and an I'm sure you'll get some replies and images posted

Isn't the 550d discontinued?
The 600d is the same except with swivel screen. Cashback available as well as the moment

Where would you recommend buying from as ive only been looking on ebay/amazon just now

thanks guys, think ive decided on the 600d

Last edited:
As Jim pointed out camera price buster is the best for checking UK stock prices
Digital Rev are recommended for imports

Thanks guys, one more thing any idea what I could sell my hs20 for?

Very good condition and only crashes when shot without an sd card.

How long have you had it for ? out of warranty ?

D5100 is an absolute show stopper for low light - paired with a 35mmF1.8 lens - you have a compact low light monster.

Good be interested if you sell

I've had it about a year and bought if from fuji refurbished as it had a broken screen but it was replaced. I'm not sure what I'd sell it for really, don't know what it's worth atoll

I've had it about a year and bought if from fuji refurbished as it had a broken screen but it was replaced. I'm not sure what I'd sell it for really, don't know what it's worth atoll

Well I've seen some Buy It Now on eBay for around the £200 mark... but they didn't sell...

I'm not sure than, still have the box, possibly the instructions aswell.

Just looked around a bit more, now leaning towards th slightly older 400d, still an improvement to my current setup?

Also words the previous very badly, I bought the camera direct from fuji. Within a couple of weeks I cracked th screen but it was sent away and refurbished by them!

Sorry :(

Would a 450D still be an upgrade as I understand its getting a little old now!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom