Looking to Upgrade my Home Security System, Recomendations?

Dogbert85x

Novice Member
Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my current outdoor home security system, as my older Samsung version works well from an App perspective, but the cameras are becoming a bit outdated and I don't believe the model (and Cat5 cables) are compatible with better quality cameras.

I've taken a look around and it seems like most lists are just paid for by amazon (though the Ring footage does look clear) or filled with suspect chinese models I'd rather not deal with, as they look like they are made worse than kid's toys.

• I'm looking for a device that has it's own DVR and a server/viewer I can access without having to pay monthly fees. I'd also love if the viewer (similar to SmartViewer) can be accessed by more than 1 person/computer at a time. Being able to access footage on my phone would be helpful, but not a must.
  • Right now we have 7 cameras but would like to upgrade to a model that can handle at least 10, if not more.
  • For the cameras I'd obviously get HD, hopefully with a wider field of vision, and ones that have a decent night vision/low light sensor, as relying on my motion sensor lights to illuminate any intruder is a gamble at times. (My most important need)
  • I'd also love a system that has a feature (I think some of these have it, but I might just be imagining things) that at least notates on the timeline when there is a significant amount of motion on the screen, as scrubbing through footage can be a pain.
  • Nothing needs to be wireless, and the type of cable needed doesn't matter as I'll be rewiring everything for this if need be. I'd actually prefer ones that don't have me changing batteries every 2 weeks, and some of these will be in areas where solar power won't work.
  • I'm okay with paying around $1,000 if need be for the whole system and additional cameras. The if there's a better DVR/System and cameras separately that's also fine by me.

Thanks for any help guiding me in the right direction on this project.

Munzz

You’ll be fine with the CAT5 cables.

Hikvision is recommended around here, and I personally back that up, however, for 7 cameras and an NVR you’ll be paying £1k just for the hardware.

oneman

You could go DIY route but it is effort. Windows PC running Blue Iris which supports any camera with Onvif, HikVision for example. Supports up to 64 cameras. There have a good tuning guide on their web page, requirements for 8 to 10 cameras isn't very high, I have a second hand 6th Gen i5 with 16GB RAM and put in a new 2TB HDD for 8 x 5mp H.View cameras. Cameras were I think about £75 each, add 8 port POE switch land £50 for software.

It has Motion sensing capability with plenty of options and multiple remote users, no app needed just a web browser. You get a list of any triggers and which camera. Simple click to view footage from any device, anywhere that has a web browser including your phone. Plus good support, they have a very active Reddit group that the developers frequent.

Cabling wise, Cat5 should be fine. It supports 100mb and POE which is all that most camera's need.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24354

7 Cameras and a 16 Ch NVR (4, 8 or 16 ch) and you are going to need a 6 or 8Tb HD you won’t see much change from £2,000.

D

Deleted member 24354

Just looking at costs to build a system for Blue Iris:

16 Port POE Switch (£150) (OP wants at least 10 cameras)
Blue Iris Software (£50),
Computer (which to run 10 cameras will need to need blue Iris recommended spec) £500
6TB WD Purple HDD (£150)

Intel core i7 with QuickSync for hardware decoding (you need this for H264 decoding)
8GB or more RAM
Microsoft Windows 10 64 bit
nVIDIA graphics adaptor for efficient screen display
SSD drive

Total £850 for a PC that needs to be always on.

Hikvision DS-7616NI-I2/16P Network Video Recorder £400
6 TB WD Purple HDD £150

Total £550

I think that the NVR is a much better proposition.

Dogbert85x

Novice Member
Thanks so much for the replies.

I think I'm going to be taking the NVR route, as having everything contained in one area would be preferred, as I trust that more than a Windows PC that exceeds all specs, but still screws up constantly.

Ones I've been taking a look at are Lorex and ReoLink, which seem to hover around the same price for a 10 camera set up.

My biggest decision now is to get an NVR or a DVR, though that seems to mostly come down to price vs. a bit higher quality, and then choosing which of the dozen or so camera types to buy (which I think will depend on the placement within and around the house.

oneman

Thanks so much for the replies.

I think I'm going to be taking the NVR route, as having everything contained in one area would be preferred, as I trust that more than a Windows PC that exceeds all specs, but still screws up constantly.

Ones I've been taking a look at are Lorex and ReoLink, which seem to hover around the same price for a 10 camera set up.

My biggest decision now is to get an NVR or a DVR, though that seems to mostly come down to price vs. a bit higher quality, and then choosing which of the dozen or so camera types to buy (which I think will depend on the placement within and around the house.
You choice, I have been using it for about a year now and its been pretty much rock solid once the initial tuning was done. As mentioned I'm using a second hand PC, there isn't any point in buying a new one and just put in a new disk, you would be looking at about £300 for PC and disk and £50 for software. And then you have the choice of pretty much any camera that supports RTSP inclusing HikVision if you want, it doesn't lock you in to any particular make.

Once setup you can tuck it away and remote desktop into so no need for monitor, mouse and keyboard. The way you could have it configured, all footage is recorded at HD and alert footage at full resolution if you want to save on disk space, 4 TB would easily save a months footage with 10 cameras.

The only real change is that I've added Deepstack AI last week which is pretty cool as it identifies what type of object caused the alert (car, person, dog, cat, etc) and sends an alert to your phone with a picture and link to clip. Its pretty cool and allows my mrs to see what the cat is up to.

For me the biggest benefit aside from being the cheapest solution is the huge amount of tailoring you can do, integration into IoT (it supports MQTT to trigger other actions), web interface and the freedom of not being locked into any particular vendor. Downside is that it does take a bit of setting up though to be honest you getting the same tuning issues with an all in one kit like configuring alert. There are lots of tutorials on YouTube to take you through the settings as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24354

...and having a PC running 24/7 chewing through 100W - 200W of power continually (Blue Iris needs a lot of processing and the more cameras, the more processing). Have look at this thread if your are interested in what Blue Iris really needs Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris

In summary 10 x 4MP (running around 30fps) cameras will need an 8 core processor, which would be a minimum of an i7 9700 (65W TDP on its own).

For smaller setups you can get away with less processing power with Blue Iris, but it does not scale well and as the camera count goes up, so does the processing requirement. Whereas a 16 Ch (Hik) NVR will handle 16 x 4MP cameras

oneman

...and having a PC running 24/7 chewing through 100W - 200W of power continually (Blue Iris needs a lot of processing and the more cameras, the more processing). Have look at this thread if your are interested in what Blue Iris really needs Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris

In summary 10 x 4MP (running around 30fps) cameras will need an 8 core processor, which would be a minimum of an i7 9700 (65W TDP on its own).

For smaller setups you can get away with less processing power with Blue Iris, but it does not scale well and as the camera count goes up, so does the processing requirement. Whereas a 16 Ch (Hik) NVR will handle 16 x 4MP cameras
Compared to how much for NVR ?

oneman

Some real world data from my system, its 8 cameras, not 10 so expect a bit higher usage on a bigger system.

1620377755140.png

1620377807696.png

CPU does spike if AI kicks in or I do an export and transcode the video. As mentioned, a lot does depend on tuning, direct to disk recording off course with hardware acceleration turned on.

And again real work usage data, I don't know what settings they are using but people out there with 60+ cameras, and a few 10 camera systems using the CPU I have.

1620378176833.png

It isn't for everyone, its definitely needs some technical knowledge to get the best out of it. For lots of people, calling in a professional and getting a managed service is probably the right answer. But if you are interested in DIY then its an alternative to a kit but know the data before dismissing it for technical reasons.

oneman

Between 30w and 40w constant draw. In either case have I included current for POE
Not bad, the PC does draw a lot more power but you don't need an i7. PC is also a lot more capable and its pretty useful to have a device on 24x7 to do everything from file serving to managing my downloads. At the end of the day everyone's requirements are different and it good to have choice.

mikeysthoughts

Just looking at costs to build a system for Blue Iris:

16 Port POE Switch (£150) (OP wants at least 10 cameras)
Blue Iris Software (£50),
Computer (which to run 10 cameras will need to need blue Iris recommended spec) £500
6TB WD Purple HDD (£150)

Intel core i7 with QuickSync for hardware decoding (you need this for H264 decoding)
8GB or more RAM
Microsoft Windows 10 64 bit
nVIDIA graphics adaptor for efficient screen display
SSD drive

Total £850 for a PC that needs to be always on.

Hikvision DS-7616NI-I2/16P Network Video Recorder £400
6 TB WD Purple HDD £150

Total £550

I think that the NVR is a much better proposition.
Who would you suggest is a good UK-based seller to purchase the Hikvision?

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom