looking to upgrade my AV system ... need some advice and suggestions without breaking the bank

We went into richer sounds yesterday to take a look at the speakers in store... see what they actually look like in person and i gotta say that we were both impressed by the slick design.
we had a look at the bronze and silver speakers and they are very nice... saw some others as well like the wharfdale brand.

GF in her head thought the speakers would be massive and take up half the room so she was pleasantly surprised to see that they are nothing like that.

i spoke to them about doing a demo and said just call up and book it in.. so when im ready to start this crazy adventure ill give them a buzz and start testing the speakers!
the demo room was a bit smaller than what our living room size is so it will be a good test to see what works and what doesnt.

the person i was chatting to said that the 2700 model is one of the best selling units out there.
he also mentioned that theres a Yamaha unit out there comparable in price/spec to the 2700 and 3700.. unfortunately i forgot to ask for the model .. ill get that next time.

as its also been mentioned here he said that theres a shortage of chips for the units so theres a big backlog of orders for AV units and that its effecting all industries.

:clap:

the person i was chatting to said that the 2700 model is one of the best selling units out there.
he also mentioned that theres a Yamaha unit out there comparable in price/spec to the 2700 and 3700.. unfortunately i forgot to ask for the model .. ill get that next time.

as its also been mentioned here he said that theres a shortage of chips for the units so theres a big backlog of orders for AV units and that its effecting all industries
@gibbsy said in post 5 of the link below :-

If you're not desperate I would wait until Denon announce the new amps for 2022. These should have the new HDMI boards fitted and do away with the faff of the external adaptor. As far as room correction then the new amps from Onkyo and Pioneer will have Dirac live onboard. Dirac is far superior to Audyssey but does require a level of skill in setting up and Dirac is known to be somewhat buggy.

The current X2700 has Audyssey's basic XT room correction and if you wish for a better room correction with both Denon and Marantz then those units with XT32 are certainly better. With Denon the first in the model line up to have it would be the X3700.

Denon 1600h upgrade over yam 681?

Last edited:
@gibbsy said in post 5 of the link below :-

If you're not desperate I would wait until Denon announce the new amps for 2022. These should have the new HDMI boards fitted and do away with the faff of the external adaptor. As far as room correction then the new amps from Onkyo and Pioneer will have Dirac live onboard. Dirac is far superior to Audyssey but does require a level of skill in setting up and Dirac is known to be somewhat buggy.

The current X2700 has Audyssey's basic XT room correction and if you wish for a better room correction with both Denon and Marantz then those units with XT32 are certainly better. With Denon the first in the model line up to have it would be the X3700.

Denon 1600h upgrade over yam 681?

The new models come next summer so long wait ahead. You don`t need to use the external device if not gaming with the new console. And if one has newer tv with hdmi 2.1 connection he could just connect the console straight to tv.

Yamaha 681 comparable to Denon X2700H, but of course lot older.

@RogerDingo the model he was talking about is RX-V6A. This has more hdmi 2.1 inputs/outputs (3+1) than Denons/Marantz (1+2). But i don´t know what "fix" Yamaha is applying to these.

The new models come next summer so long wait ahead. You don`t need to use the external device if not gaming with the new console. And if one has newer tv with hdmi 2.1 connection he could just connect the console straight to tv.
yeah thats what i do... ps5 connected straight to the gaming port on the TV
Yamaha 681 comparable to Denon X2700H, but of course lot older.

@RogerDingo the model he was talking about is RX-V6A. This has more hdmi 2.1 inputs/outputs (3+1) than Denons/Marantz (1+2). But i don´t know what "fix" Yamaha is applying to these.

ok thanks.. ill take a look at the RX-V6A as well

cheers!

The 4700 is the newer version of my 4500. I've had my 4500 since 2020. Apart from the 4700 having 8K - the spec of the 2 receivers is the same. I was merely using my 4500 as a comparison 👍🏼

I always try and get the best features and value for money I can. When I bought my 4500 (new), AVR pruced were much lower than now. IIRC I paid £899, but also got a discount! So you can see how much prices have increased!

The 3700 is considered the "sweet spot" in the Denon line up by many. Its a fine receiver and is certainly no slouch for sure. It's 1000% worth the extra over the cost of the 2700.

Very good bundle. The only thing I'd ask is they remove the Bronze Sub which should save you anywhere up to £579 - and buy any of these subs instead: (listed in order of my preference)

Any of these offer better value in both money, but more importantly performance over the similarly price MA W10 sub which. All the above have 12" drivers vs the 10" in the W10.

I'll also try and put together an alternative package. Either way. Why not see if you can go and demo the above package. Never buy speakers without demoing 1st.

You might even be able to demo the MA Silver 100's & Silver C150 to compare. Although, if going for the Silvers, I'd recommend (as I did) getting the bigger C350 centre - assuming you can fit it. It's a big upgrade over the Silver C150. To save a bit you could get the cheaper Bronze FX surrounds instead of the matching Silver FX.... Although that again will push the budget up a bit! 😊

Also remember to ask the likes of Peter Tyson, Richersounds etc for discounts. Most of them will do some kind of system builder discount and put together a custom amp/speaker package not listed. I buy most of my gear from Richersounds and have never paid RRP for anything I've bought new. If you don't ask you don't get!

Feel free to pm if you want too. 😊
Very helpful with the links but it's killing local small businesses who don't have the marketing or website manpower budget or a dedicated online or telesales team.

Don't forget there are local small family businesses who are also authorised dealers but don't have the same level of online marketing and presence.

To the OP, you should also see what your local dealer can do if you visit or call them. My local dealer will personally deliver to my house. The whole experience is not the same as buying online and waiting for a courier.

We've been informed that all Denon and Marantz units manufactured after April 2021 will feature the new HDMI board which overcomes the issue they were facing with 4K/120.

That said - good luck in trying to find one at the moment. Stock is in really tight supply.
The Yamaha RX-A2A is likely the new model you were discussing perhaps?

As others have suggested above - don't be afraid to swap things around. The Bronze AVR system is good, as is the Silver (note - 6G are now end of line and the 7G comes out in a week or so time!).

But there are better, more precise subs that would better complement music/movies such as the REL HT series or the SVS Sealed units.

And a big up to supporting small businesses too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom