1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to upgrade from Yamaha DSP-A2

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by spoons, Oct 9, 2004.

Tags:
  1. spoons

spoons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mainly want Pro Logic 2 not bothered with video in/outs as I connect RGB to TV. Need at least 4 optical/2 electric inputs one electric/optical on the front would be nice.
    Any good ideas for around £300?

2. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Personally I'd go for a second hand DSP-A1.
    IMO although specs are increasing for the same price, I still have'nt heard anything <£1000 that beats it.

Steve.

3. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a a2 like yourself, is there a amp available today that for 300 quid that can even sound as good as the a2?? i originally had the denon avr 1802 which had pl2 which was good for the games that supported it.....but as far as movies went ...well... as a matter of interest what does the tone bypass button do on the a2? which mode [ off/on] gives the best results?

4. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got to agree also with steve36, the a1 is a lovely piece of kit ..even all these years down the line!!

5. spoons

spoons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok sound wise I love my A2 but its all about gadget envy and all the reports I've seen speak highly of DPL2.
    Tone bypass on bypasses the tone controls yes?
    Looking at the Yammy DSPAX750SE for £350.

6. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Spoons,
    Generally tone controls should be set to bypass, especially with music. It should produce a cleaner sound as it should reduces the amount of electrical processing that the music goes through. That said I always used to set my DSP-A1 centre speaker equaliser according to the type of speaker I was using, I miss this facility.

I upgraded my DSP-A1 for PLII and also because of complaints at home about the colour, and unless I've messed something up in my system I can not hear much difference with PLII, compared to a properly equalised centre speaker on the DSP-A1.

Regarding the 750SE, although it's good, I think you'll find it's nowhere near as clean with music or as powerful as the DSP-A2, even if the specs look similar.

Steve.

7. spoons

spoons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I need to spend a lot more money to equal or better my A2.I have my centre speaker set to Large is this what you mean by centre speaker equaliser.

8. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The DSP-A1 actually has an equaliser where you can set the frequency response of the centre to make best use of the abilities of the specific centre speaker you have.

When I upgraded to an M&K 850 I forgot I changed the equaliser to raise the high frequencies so it was glass-shatteringly high pitched until I reset it to neutral.

I suspect the yamaha RX-1400 may be worth the upgrade and you may find one in the avforums for-sale area.

Steve.