Looking to update my old dm500s....which receiver?

Reaction score
Looking for a decent receiver that has good picture quality and good hd quality.
Don't need 2 tuners as it will only have one feed to it.

Don't want to spend too much on one. £100 maybe £150

Been looking at vu+ solo.

What are the cheaper boxes like spiderbox like for picture quality?

Any good pointers?

Presume your primary reason for a move being SD to HD ?

If you have already come from an E1 background then an E2 receiver may be more familiar and perhaps better for you than something like a Spiderbox.

The VU Solo is a nice box but it is quite old now and the budget Solo market is littered with clones. You maybe better off looking elsewhere. There should be quite a few brands and models accessible within your budget.

Main reason is box is so old it refuses to work sometimes. Also hd is a bonus.
Just want it updated to something nice and crisp

A Linux HD box maybe a good idea then. There's quite a few around within your budget and they also have decent processors.

Best advice is to firstly decide if you wish to stay with a Linux box and move to E2.

As for what particular brand and model. That's a personal choice, dependent on budget, features, level of support you require and the ongoing interest in the satellite field that you have.

Look at the techno mate nano or octagon S8. Newer them the solo and better spec.

Bear in mind the support factor when going for other brands. Some have limited support and where there is support today there may not be to the same extent further down the line.

It's hard to compare with Dream or Vu+ in this regard as they have a very wide support/user base and one of the reasons why they are and remain so popular.

If you are particularly after a new/latest well spec'd base Vu+ model and in no hurry it may be worthwhile holding on just a little while longer.

The new Solo SE comes with a 1.3Ghz processor and is essentially a paired down Solo2. It's a pretty neat and powerful machine.

Last edited:
I cant see the solo se going for less than 150! Would be nice. I have the octagon sf8 as a spare with openatv image and it has been rock solid, great pic quality, and a good price at WOS. I moved from a DB500S as well.

However, I got an uno as well and although pricey it is fab.

Last edited:
Still not decided.
Was thinking of one with iptv capabilities also.

Have a look at the Cloud Ibox 2 very well supported runs Enigma 2 and IPTV and well within your price range

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom