Looking to switch to Virgin Broadband - your comments on speeds would be helpful

toxic mango

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello All. Currently have sky fibre. It was working well until mid dec - from when it became unreliable. After countless calls and several engineer visits matter seems resolved. However, Due to appalling service am looking to move to virgin broadband. In terms of internet use, will be used for sky demand, netflix, general internet use and very very occasional gaming. My question is will I be affected by traffic management in evenings if it's connected to sky on demand and if using netflix, internet at same time in evening.

Thanks

tM

I believe traffic management has been abolished now. Although the higher the package, the higher the allowances anyway.
You might find it slows down due to more people being connected, but it should not be an issue.
Worth giving it a go - you have a month to change your mind if you are not happy.

I believe traffic management has been abolished now.

It hasn't: Thresholds

My question is will I be affected by traffic management in evenings if it's connected to sky on demand and if using netflix, internet at same time in evening.

It depends how long you use them for and which package you choose. The 30Mbps package starts to kick in at 2750MB with the full reduction at 3500MB. Given that's around two hours of watching an HD stream (or an hour of both at once) I think you're very likely to be affected by it.

Although you may not notice it affecting your connection, they've reduced the download speed reduction from 75% to 16% so you'd only drop down to a 25Mbps connection.

I'd personally call at most a 16% reduction as insignificant. But yes, technically you are right.
When it used to be something like a 90% reduction, I think it effectively has been abolished.
Will you notice - I very much doubt it.

Thank you for your replies so far - looking to get 60mb although for additional £7 the 120mb looks appealing as well

I went for the 120mb and it is great as my upload is important to me (I sometimes have to transfer larger files). But lots of things take just as long as with any connection (browsing, youtube etc). Anything that is reliant more on the providers delivery setup, than the download available.
Unless you can get a good deal on 120mb, I'd say the sweet spot was 60mb. Soon to be increased anyway. The 60mb should include the superhub 2, which is extra with the lower service.

It says 1 hour threshold of 3600mb for the xl60, does the the clock reset after an hour? So you get 7200mb for 2 hours etc

Thank you for your replies so far - looking to get 60mb although for additional £7 the 120mb looks appealing as well

Found out the other day that 60mb is getting upgraded to 100mb , I was going to upgrade to 120mb but I am holding back ....

Currently on 120mb that's upgraded to 150mb. Hit full 15.2mbps so cannot complain and I download via usenet and have never been hit in speed but I usually download at past midnight anyway so that helps. Couldn't be happier although not so keen on tivo I do miss sky tv style epg

I've been using the 60mb for 6 months and I'm more than happy with the speeds. Even when throttled and playing online, i've never experience any issues. Not checked for a while, but I regularly get the advertised speed when using Speedtest.net.

I didnt realise that they were planning on bumping this package up to 100mb though :)

I have been on 60 meg since last Oct was 20mb before, never had any problems with streaming. As an example I only heard about breaking bad a couple of months back on Netflix which my daughter pays for and I watched all 62 episodes in just over a week in HD quality and no stutters at all.I was doing 6-8 eps a day so how much bandwidth was that:D

Been with Virgin just over 10 years, (Would have been with them before but only got cable in street 10 years ago).

Currently on 120Mb Service costs £29.75 a month no other services from them no phone etc, Speeds are rock solid, have a fairly large data transfer here for work, move about 1Tb up and down per week, never had any speed issues, especially with the new Traffic Managment which is a much fairer system than the old system.

Problems wise in 10 years I think the service has been down 3 times, and never for more than a couple of hours, My Superhub blew up last Sunday I phoned them at 3pm, and an engineer delivered a new one at Lunch on Monday,

am lucky that my area is an older demographic so no student population sucking the pipes dry, but a really have to rate Virgin ans the best ISP I have ever used, and I go back to 300Bps in 1986 as my first connection.

I believe traffic management has been abolished now.
Worth noting that as of the end of Feb downstream traffic management has been abolished. Still there for upstream, but that really only hits the P2P bods hard and in any case it's still a max of 65% reduction, so it still leaves you with a reasonable upstream on the higher packages.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom