Looking to rip all my discs to a hard drive. Advice welcome!

JamesP1701

Hi all,

I'm considering going down the route of having a media hard drive for my various Blu Rays/4k discs.

This is new territory for me, but I do like the idea of convenience.

I have a few question if people might be able to help:

1. How woukd I go about ripping the discs so that picture and audio quality is retained?
2. Presumably I can get a media box that will just plug into my av receiver (like my blu ray player.) Could someone steer me in the direction of such a piece of kit?
3. Anything else you feel I need to know?

With thanks in advance.

James

razy60

Hi all,

I'm considering going down the route of having a media hard drive for my various Blu Rays/4k discs.

This is new territory for me, but I do like the idea of convenience.

I have a few question if people might be able to help:

1. How woukd I go about ripping the discs so that picture and audio quality is retained?
2. Presumably I can get a media box that will just plug into my av receiver (like my blu ray player.) Could someone steer me in the direction of such a piece of kit?
3. Anything else you feel I need to know?

With thanks in advance.

James
1. You need a program like MakeMKV or dvdfab, for ripping on a PC
2. A drive like this, LG BH16NS55 v1.02DE, Vantec 5.25", 4K, Ultra HD, UHD Friendly Drive 8809484672183 | eBay
3. Something like a Nvidia shield or Zappiti, Appletv to plug in to play the rips and possibly a HDD or 2..
For starters.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
As above.

MakeMKV which is freeware will rip a disc with the video, audio of your choice and subs into an MKV file that is a 1:1 copy of the disc. It's just you're removing extras, unwanted audio, menus etc.
This type of file is called a remux.

You'd then use Handbrake to compress it if that's what you wanted, however, any compression to video or audio will reduce the quality.
How much you'll notice depends upon how fussy you are, how good and what size your screen is, how good your audio setup is and how much compression you use.

If your current system would be fine for a bit of compression, think about any upgrades you'll do and how you may be unsatisfied with it then.
Then you'd have to rip everything again.
Also note compressing video takes a lot of processing power and time.

Ambienz

You can rip directly from handbrake to your choice of video file and at 4K resolution, but I think this is too lossy.

Can media players like Plex play a MKV file or do they need to be converted for streaming purposes.

I would advise against compressing video unless only watching on smaller screens. Screen resolutions are only getting better and cheaper - you will regret it at some point.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Plex or Kodi are capable of full bitstreaming video and audio as long as you have the right equipment and in the case of Plex, enough bandwidth in your home network.

paulw77

I went through this process just over 12 months ago.

1. Bought a Synology NAS and 4x12TB hard drives.
2. Bought an external Blu-ray drive similar to the one mentioned by @razy60 - from the same eBay seller I think.
3. Used MakeMKV to make 1:1 copies of all my DVDs, Blurays and UHD discs - very tedious and time consuming but worth it.
4. For a media player I initially tried a Zappiti but had problems with it dropping off my network mid film, so bought an OSMC Vero 4k instead which has been rock solid.

Good luck with your project !

Captain Ron

Distinguished Member
The real fun comes if you also want to make 1:1 rips of 3D blurays or preserve Dolby Vision / Atmos on UHD rips. All doable but fiddly.

Ambienz

I went through this process just over 12 months ago.

1. Bought a Synology NAS and 4x12TB hard drives.
2. Bought an external Blu-ray drive similar to the one mentioned by @razy60 - from the same eBay seller I think.
3. Used MakeMKV to make 1:1 copies of all my DVDs, Blurays and UHD discs - very tedious and time consuming but worth it.
4. For a media player I initially tried a Zappiti but had problems with it dropping off my network mid film, so bought an OSMC Vero 4k instead which has been rock solid.

Good luck with your project !
I used MakeMKV to run a test. It came back with a 7GB file (1:1). Are you keeping the files at that size or are you compressing?

I see Handbrake has a H.265 2160p60 MKV encoding. Would be interesting to see how that compares.

paulw77

I used MakeMKV to run a test. It came back with a 7GB file (1:1). Are you keeping the files at that size or are you compressing?

I see Handbrake has a H.265 2160p60 MKV encoding. Would be interesting to see how that compares.
No, I don't compress MKVs at all. I'd rather keep the files uncompressed to retain audio and video quality.

7GB is actually quite small - some DVDs can be around that size. Blurays and UHDs are MUCH bigger ! Apocalypse Now on UHD for example is almost 87GB.

It helps to have a lot of storage. My NAS is 48TB which should keep me going for a while but I know of other people on here with much bigger capacity.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I used MakeMKV to run a test. It came back with a 7GB file (1:1).

Is that a DVD?

The smallest Bluray I have is ~15GB and most are 25GB with slightly over 40GB being the upper limit.
UHD's are starting at the upper limit of Bluray and going up to ~90GB.

You said it yourself in an earlier post, you'd only come to regret it later, particularly if you upgraded to a larger/better screen.
I can't even imagine the time and processing power it would take to compress an h265 4K file

Ambienz

No, I don't compress MKVs at all. I'd rather keep the files uncompressed to retain audio and video quality.

7GB is actually quite small - some DVDs can be around that size. Blurays and UHDs are MUCH bigger ! Apocalypse Now on UHD for example is almost 87GB.

It helps to have a lot of storage. My NAS is 48TB which should keep me going for a while but I know of other people on here with much bigger capacity.
Thanks.

Going to have to have a serious rethink of my NAS configuration.

ps. Can I borrow your NAS for a weekend. lol. Apocalypse Now in UHD would be amazing

Last edited:

Ambienz

Is that a DVD?

The smallest Bluray I have is ~15GB and most are 25GB with slightly over 40GB being the upper limit.
UHD's are starting at the upper limit of Bluray and going up to ~90GB.
It is a DVD but was the original Downfall, so small file low quality.

Interesting to note the file sizes.

You said it yourself in an earlier post, you'd only come to regret it later, particularly if you upgraded to a larger/better screen.
I can't even imagine the time and processing power it would take to compress an h265 4K file

Yes, 100% agreed. It was only to see what file size it produced and how the quality compared. I know handbrake very well so was hoping to use it to rip to a lossless MKV format. Doesn't look like there is a non compressed option.

Thanks

John7

For ripping, don't use handbrake (it re-encodes the video) Use MakeMKV. You then get to choose which audio streams and subs (if any) that you require.

I don't think Handbrake will rip 4K disks either, you need MakeMKV for this and a UHD "friendly" drive.

I sometimes use handbrake to re-encode Blu Ray from H.264 to H.265 to reduce file size - it's great for that.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Nope. You just need to keep it updated and occasionally it won't work until there is a new Beta key which you can be kept waiting for, for a week or two.

Praetorpwj

1. You need a program like MakeMKV or dvdfab, for ripping on a PC
2. A drive like this, LG BH16NS55 v1.02DE, Vantec 5.25", 4K, Ultra HD, UHD Friendly Drive 8809484672183 | eBay
3. Something like a Nvidia shield or Zappiti, Appletv to plug in to play the rips and possibly a HDD or 2..
For starters.
Has anyone purchased off the eBay seller? They have a good rating but seem to be offering both drive and external enclosure in their price which seems suspiciously cheap?

paulw77

Has anyone purchased off the eBay seller? They have a good rating but seem to be offering both drive and external enclosure in their price which seems suspiciously cheap?

I bought a similar drive and enclosure from the same eBay seller in January last year. I paid a little bit more but it was a different LG drive in the same enclosure.

Didn't have any problems with the seller and the drive has been rock solid ever since. I've ripped my entire collection of DVDs, Blurays and UHDs with it.

razy60

I've got the one I linked too from that seller, he's a long established seller with a good rep, he is also on makemkv forums with a linked account for selling. There a few on this forum who have purchased ftom him, as for his prices they've not changed much since I got mine.

bay73

I have and he was very helpful with my numerous follow up questions about the ripping process. 100% recommend.

Harkon321

Following

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Rotel announces 60th Anniversary Diamond Series Hi-Fi duo
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Hisense launches A9H 4K OLED TV