Looking to replace Sony DA3500ES, (older Arcam/Cambridge Audio or new mid range Sony)

So I've just bought a new LG nano led TV, and found out that my ageing Sony DA3500ES doesn't have hdmi arc. Which is kinda annoying. I must have been using it with an optical on my old plasma but the remote used to work with the volume and on/off. So I'm reluctantly looking at replacing the receiver.

I have no concerns about the audio on the Sony, though from time to time I did wonder about getting some additional power amps for it. So I'm looking at either getting a new mid range AV receiver, maybe a Sony DN1080 or an older Arcam 450 or Cambridge Audio CXR 120. The sony can be had for bout £400, and the Arcam/CA can be had for about £500-600. All seem to have the crucial arc connection I need.

I'm wondering whether I'm getting more bang for my buck going for something a little older. I've no interest in Atmos or streaming features, but I am bothered about audio quality and I suppose to a lesser extent longevity.

I have some older Spendor SP1s as my fronts, and SP2 as my surrounds with a Spendor CR3 centre and a BK monolith sub.

D

Deleted member 39241

The Cambridge Audio or Arcam will be loads better than the Sony. But, there is some risk with that investment, as presumably they are used.

Strangely I have had a Sony 3500ES, and a Cambridge Audio CXR200, and two Arcam's, as well as a Yamaha, Denon and Marantz AVR's.

Both Arcam and Cambridge Audio are a step above all of the others, but I don't think you can really do it on a budget, they are not the most reliable, you would really want a warranty with them.

The Denon and Marantz are decent enough, you could probably get a Denon AVR3x00 or a Marantz SR601x, brand new with warranty just in budget. Don't get the Denon if you want to use it for music.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom