Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Looking to replace my speakers . Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by DonMaico, Sep 23, 2004.

1. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must be sensitive and not demand too much current as I use valve amplification.. My Heybrook Hb1s are getting a bit long in the tooth being about 20 years sold.There is a French company called Triangle who make nice looking speakers which are apparently ideally suited to valves.Either the Titan or Comette would suit my budget.Anyone have any thoughts? My listening room is small so they cant be too fussy about placement. :)

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Don, Castle loudspeakers are an easy drive reasonably sensitve too, they also have a sonic flavour that would IMHO appeal to those orientated towards a “valve” sound. Well worth consideration at all price ranges.

http://www.castle.uk.com/pages/classic.htm

3. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    A bit pricey (start around £1700), but Living Voice might be worth a look. There's even a pair of Auditorium Avatars on the bay at the moment!

DT

4. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Castle Durhams !Yes I remember them ,look good too. dont want to get into £1000 plus territory as the men in white coats might appear at my door.

5. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I'd consider trying some Rega speakers, as they tend to be quite easy to drive and not too fussy about placement, although I speak largely for the "Ela" model with this

6. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you say bay do you mean ebay? :)

7. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    yes Don, this forum has clever software that blocks things like swear words etc, so I wasn't sure if it would allow "eBay" - hence "on the bay".

DT

8. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    those avatars have already hit the £700 mark and there is four days to go.Think i'll give them a miss.

10. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
  11. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that link knightshade, I forgot about it :thumbsup:

12. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi DonMaico,

What about Proac speakers they are quite easy to drive and i have had my Response D15's for about a year now and they sound superb i can imagine they would sound even better with valve amplification.

John :)

13. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    Have you considered the Tannoy Sensys DC1 and DC2s or even the Eyris range. They are really easy to drive and sound great.

14. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hi Don

Many moons ago I changed my Heybrook HB2's for a pair of ProAc Studio 1 Mk2's on Target R2 stands. I was using a pretty modest integrated at the time and they worked well. Tremendous midrange, very nice topend, the only weakness was a lack of deep bass, later I added a Rel Sub and better amps, each time the ProAcs handled the upgrade and only recently have I changed to MA, still have the ProAcs though :).

Their replacement the Studio 100 and it's bigger brother the 125 would be worth an audition.

http://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/studio100.php

Gus

15. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I'll vouch for the Tannoy Eyris range. Had a pair of Eyris 1's a few years ago. Very nice neutral speaker. A bit odd to look at but very well built.

16. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just missed out on apair of Celef monitors that went for £82 on the ebay . Grrr!

17. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking about a pair of Kef QW 4 s which are on the bay now (91db and 8 ohms)

18. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just auditioned and reserved the Tannoy Eyris 2 front speakers and matching centre speaker :thumbsup: . Tested them against Monitor Audio S6's and matching centre. The biggest difference came from swapping the centre for the Tannoy - massive improvement. The fronts didn't work as well with the sub for music but are great without - need to save for a better sub (it was a Velodyne one at the £300 mark, so a lot less than the Tannoys - worked well with the MA's though). I thought long and hard about the Warfdale Pacific Evolutions. They looked and sounded really good (pretty big though) but I'm getting a good deal on the Tannoys and that swung the decision in their favour.

19. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Changed my mind on the Tannoys and done a deal on a Mission 782SE full 5.1 set up. The centre is not as sparkling as the Tannoy but the whole thing together sounded better and the fronts were better (to my ears) for music. At the end of the day the Tannoy centre turnded out to be too large to fit into my rack because of the raised tweeter so I was kinda stuffed there anyway!!