Question Looking to replace my excellent but ageing Onkyo TX-SR805

Krank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's still going strong but it's finally time to upgrade my Onkyo 805. It's been brilliant but it's time to upgrade. Unfortunately I've took my finger off the pulse regarding AV receivers due to my Onkyo contentment and tech in this area has moved on dramatically.

My question is what receivers out there today should I be looking at? I started looking at the Denon 3300 which is a very pleasant price point but have recently be swayed by the Denon 4300 and Marantz 7011 at £800 & £900 respectively but I'm getting very confused as to what I need. Eg Would a low to mid range 3300 of today be comparable to the 805 I have?

My speakers are the ageing Kef Q3 fronts, iq6c centre, iQ8Ds rears and 2 eggs for rear surround and a BK XLS200 sub.

Any comments on the amps mentioned or other recommendations gratefully received :thumbsup:

The bench tests on the Onkyo 805 are very impressive:

B&W 600 Series Speaker System and Onkyo TX-SR805 A/V Receiver HT Labs Measures: Onkyo TX-SR805 A/V Receiver

You would struggle to find an 'affordable' modern AVR that would match that. I fear that the replacement AVR's that you are looking at might be lacking in power, and not sound as good.

You could keep the Onkyo as a power amp, and buy a cheaper more modern AVR as a pre-amp. Your Onkyo has multi channel inputs, and you would need an AVR with multi channel pre-outs. But, that is hassle, and may not appeal.

If you are looking for like for like replacement in terms of power, you would probably be looking at something like the Denon 7200.

That explains why I've been so happy with it for so long. £2k is out the question at the moment for a replacement so not sure what my next step is. I'll look into the pre and power amp suggestion and see how that would work. I need more hdmi inputs and to connect to my Panasonic DX902 so will do some more reading.

I was very similar to you, I had the Onkyo 905 and needed to replace it to move to the current formats and I went for the Denon X4300H. At £750 it's a bargain. I haven't noticed any loss in sound quality and the performance and general use of it is excellent. Compared to your old 805 you will notice a big difference in how quick it works, setting it up etc.

That's a little more reassuring. Did you consider the 7011 too? It would seem anything lower specced is not worth considering

...also, where did you get it for £750?

I've always been a fan of Denon so didn't consider anything else. Especially after reading the review of it.

Denon AVR-X4300H 9.2 Channel AV Receiver Review

I got mine for about £795 I think it was and I was fortunate enough to be one of the last to get it with the free Denon HEOS speaker offer. But I have heard several people mention it's available for £750

Just another quick comment, if you don't upgrade very often, HDMI 2.1 is around the corner, maybe 12 months or so. If you are planning a new TV and a new AVR in the near(ish) future, you might want to wait for that.

Just another quick comment, if you don't upgrade very often, HDMI 2.1 is around the corner, maybe 12 months or so. If you are planning a new TV and a new AVR in the near(ish) future, you might want to wait for that.

I've just bought a new TV so won't be upgrading to 2.1

Still undecided about whether to go for a new Denon or Marantz. Reading both owners threads they both sound very similar as they are very similar but wondered why the Marantz RRP is £200 more than the Denon. Is that due to the learning remote?

Last edited:
Still undecided about whether to go for a new Denon or Marantz. Reading both owners threads they both sound very similar as they are very similar but wondered why the Marantz RRP is £200 more than the Denon. Is that due to the learning remote?
Marantz has HDAM technology. Whether you would hear it vs the Denon is debatable. Lots of info online about it.

Thanks, I'll look into that. Also considering second hand higher spec models but the lack of warranty is always a concern.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom