Looking to replace Marantz RC2000 MKII

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by D-an-W, Dec 30, 2006.

1. D-an-W

D-an-W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Hi folks, my current remote (The Marantz RC2000 MKII) is starting to get a little worn out after about 10 years of daily use. I have had the green light from the GF to replace it so are looking for suitable candidates no more than £200 :confused:

My equipment is as follows....

Samsung - LE40R74BDX LCD HDTV
    Thomson - SkyHD
    Samsung - 9500 VIACI Motorised Digital Satellite
    Pioneer - VSX-C501 AV RX/Amp
    Pioneer - DV-545 DVD Player
    Microsoft - XBox (Running XBMC of course)
    Microsoft - XBox 360 inc HD-DVD Player
    Nintendo - Wii

The Marantz has four :)thumbsup: ) Macro buttons that I use for selecting various inputs on the TV and switching the Amp to the appropriate input so I would like to be able to replicate this with the new one.
    Also, are some remotes "More Powerful" than others as the Amp is a little fussy and as it is off to one side of the TV you have to point it directly at it when the batteries get a little low in the remote :suicide:

TIA for any advice...D-an-W

2. D-an-W

D-an-W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Looks like it's going to be a Harmony 885 (No need for RF), has anyone had any experience with the 885 and any of the equipment listed above :lease:

3. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I changed from a top-of-the-range Marantz RC9200 to a Harmony 885, and I much prefer the Harmony. It works fine with all my equipment (see sig.) - it's the only remote that can replace the Sky+ original.

If you find something that can't be done with the Harmony (such as discrete codes for TV inputs or separate power on/off commands), then you can learn them from your Marantz. I've kept my Marantz for this reason. When I buy new equipmentt, I can download a ccf from remotecentral, and rip out the discrete codes.

4. D-an-W

D-an-W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    clockworks, I assume your TV will be similar to mine where you have to "Cycle" through the inputs to get to the right one (No HDMI switching) and that these "Discrete" codes (That I have to be honest don't know much about) are what I would need to go directly to an input?

5. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Yes, my TV cycles through the inputs using one button on the original remote. An additional problem is that it only cycles through inputs that have something connected to them. This can make it difficult for a universal remote, where the traditional method is to send the "input" command a set number of times to reach the required input, since some inputs may be skipped.

With some TVs, the discrete codes (which, as you surmised, take you directly to an input) are already on the Harmony database. For others, the cycle method is used (resetting the TV to a known point at the start).

When I got my TV, it was new model, so the discretes weren't on the website. I downloaded all the Samsung TV codes from remotecentral, and found all the codes that I needed from several other models.

The only real advantage to using discretes is that it's a lot quicker than using the Reset & Cycle method. Harmony seemed to have got it pretty well sussed with TVs, except for Panasonics.

If you get a Harmony, and need the discretes, I can email you my discrete ccf file - i assume that your Marantz uses ccfs and TouchScreenSetup?

6. D-an-W

D-an-W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    No m8, my Marantz is WAY older than that. No ccfs (?) and def no touch screen.

Here She is :smashin:

7. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297

Must be a collectors item :smashin:

BTW, ccf files (.ccf is the file suffix) are the configuration files used by programmable Pronto/Marantz RC remotes. You create them on your PC, using TSS or ProntoEdit. The latest models use pcf files.

If your Marantz can handle all your kit, a Harmony should be fine, with the added bonus of activities and "smart-state".

8. D-an-W

D-an-W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Can I assume then there are discrete codes for my TV (See Sig) to switch direct to inputs as it takes about 5 seconds for the Macro to get there?!?

One other thing, whats the "IR Power" of the 885 like as my Amp is a bit fussy like that?

Probably going to buy one this evening from Pixmania too (Do they come with a UK Plug from them?)...

9. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Did you have to learn the TV codes into your Marantz from the original remote? If you did, then it must be "cycling", as the original remote doesn't have the discretes - mine only has a discrete for the PC input.

Most infra-red devices use an RC5 codeset. There are hundreds of codesets, with hundreds of codes in each set. It's up to each manufacturer what codeset to use, and how many of the individual codes to implement, Sometimes the full codeset is programmed into the TV, but not into the remote handset (or the full set is in there, but not linked to a button). This is where discrete codes come in - the TV can understand them, but the original handset can't send them.

The only way to access them is by manually putting them into a PC-programmable remote, or from a database like the one used by Logitech/Harmony. Logitech are pretty good about this - if they don't already have the correct codes, I beleive that they can add them for you if you can supply the raw codes (from a Pronto ccf).

The 885 seems to have a good IR output - works as well as the RF/IR blaster that came with my RC9200. Certainly works better than the original remote for my Panasonic DVD recorder.

10. D-an-W

D-an-W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    So there are only discrete codes if the original remote had "Direct Access" etc?

Ordered from Pixmania and managed to save myself £7 in the process (£98.10 delivered) :thumbsup:

11. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Basically, yes. Discrete codes have to come from the original remote, or a remote from another device that uses the same codeset.

It's possible to create your own discrete codes, using a programmable Pronto, by manually entering the full codeset, and seeing what they do.

If you have a look at the other threads on this forum, there's one that has a listing of discrete codes. Loads of hex numbers, with just one or two different numbers in each one. Most of the numbers are used to synchronise the handset/device and to define the codeset, the ones that are different are the actual codes.

With a Pronto, you can cut'n'paste these strings of numbers into the program, altering them if required. Time consuming, but the only way if someone hasn't found the codes already.
    There are some devices where the discrete codes aren't even in there - some TVs don't have discrete on/off codes.

12. Flatcoat

Flatcoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I have 3 RC2000 MkII's - one with a RF transmitter built in for controlling my hi-fi from anywhere in my bungalow (I have bought several in the last year or so via ebay for £32-£50 and all in mint condition).

I tried the Harmony 895 but had lots of problems setting it up - Norton anti virus and firewall on my computer had to be totally disabled so as to set the 895 up. I did eventually get the 895 working with a lot of help from Harmony (helpline is excellent) but the RF range was not as good as the RC2000 so eventually sold the 895 on ebay.

Maybe, I have been using the RC2000 for so long now that it will be very difficult to find a replacement.

13. kevlar

kevlar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I had that remote about 10 years ago, paid £145 if I remember correctly. Had it about 5 years and was very happy with it but I had an affair with a m8's pronto and that was that.

14. D-an-W

D-an-W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Hopefully the Harmony will arrive today and it will last as long as the Marantz has :smashin: For the price I paid I can't complain either (Not yet anyway :rotfl: )